421Re: [tr-m] Fw: Newsletter - Member Edition

  • sherryj@u.arizona.edu
    Dec 30, 2002
      I don't know how factual the story I heard yesterday on the radio is, but while
      driving around doing errands, I heard a piece on Mr. Roosevelt regarding three
      times he escaped death. Being in and out of the car, I was unable to hear the
      whole story.

      The story-teller spoke of the "charge" in Cuba and told how Roosevelt's horseless
      cavalry army was being shot at from the hilltops by Cubans with modern German
      guns and that the American weapons were outdated. He had to really encourage
      the soldiers to head up the hill. It was mentioned that two men were shot dead
      right in front of Roosevelt at separate times. That all doesn't sound like the story
      published in the Chicago newspaper. I stopped reading the article at that very
      early point so I don't know anything about the rest of that nutty story, but the first
      part sounded almost fictional so I believe the writer's Cuban story was not
      accurate even though, as I first stated, I don't know how factual the radio story
      about the superiority of the Cuban fighters is. Still, I think that writer was trying to
      prove something - lol.

      > I find this article is, even to an ametuer student of TR, an offensive
      > revision of history through non contextual quotes.
      >
      > To me, the worst apprasial of history, is in the taking facts out of
      > context and judging older times through modern prejudices and mores.
      > While he made such statements as these, he also was the first
      > President to invite a black man to the White House. Dispite
      > detrimental comments on some black cavalrymen in Cuba, he also was an
      > admirer of the 9th and 10th cavelry. His views on race were quite
      > progressive for his time.
      >
      > I know TR was not a perfect man, but there is hardly a better role
      > model for current politicians than TR.
      >
      > This article is sensational "clap-trap". Sorry, it got my dander up!
      >
      > I am sure there are many in the group who can better answer this
      > editorial than I, and I would like to hear of any letters to the
      > editor of the Sun-Times which get sent.
      >
      > Michael Cawelti
      >

      > KDalt@... wrote:
      >
      > > I don't know if TRA members want to reply to this anti-TR editorial:
      > >
      > > http://www.suntimes.com/output/roeser/cst-edt-roes21.html
      > >
      > > Kathleen Dalton

      > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/