420RE: [tr-m] Fw: Newsletter - Member Edition

  • Wynn Capt Gregory A
    Dec 30, 2002
      All, Good Morning:

      This type of thing surfaces from time to time. And, for that
      matter, many of the founding fathers are often similarly attacked with such
      parochial and close-minded, one-sided arguments. I responded to a very
      similar commentary in the Boston Globe some months ago. The fact of the
      matter is that, as Ms. Dalton's and Mr. Morris' studies clearly articulate,
      TR grew and evolved as we all do with age and experience. Simply put, he
      held some of the common beliefs on race and gender as many of his
      background, education, and class. While egregious by our standards, not
      necessarily atypical for those times.

      The commentary in the Globe was more carefully constructed and
      warranted a rebuttal. This particular commentary is not well-written,
      poorly researched, and deserves either ignoring or a written, eviscerating
      response. Not only is it unfair to TR but a false historical
      characterization of the type that is too frequent. Did anyone notice George
      Will's column last week, "Restoring Literacy About History"? Well worth a
      read.

      In the final analysis, TR's record on race and human rights in
      general certainly has blemishes but his achievements---personally and
      professionally as a public servant---can withstand scrutiny and clearly
      places him in the few progressive minds of his time regarding such matters,
      even despite some of his writings and comments (one of which in this
      particular editorial I know is completely out of context).

      Regards to all and Happy New Year---Cheers, Greg Wynn