37[tr-m] Re: Presidential Letterhead

  • Mary Beth Smith
    Mar 5, 2000
      I have a book called Ranching with Roosevelt. There is a photocopy of a
      letter from TR on page 341. It looks like this:

      THE WHITE HOUSE
      WASHINGTON

      February 21, 1909

      My dear Lang:
      I wish I could do as you propose, but I simply have not the power. We
      cannot make game preserves save in a rather round about way and under wholly
      exeptional conditiontions. [wholly is crossed out-wrong spelling and he
      corrected it in heavy black ink himself] All I can do is to refer your
      letter to Hart Merriam, the head of the biological Survay, to see if there
      is by any chance some way of bringing about what you desire, (black
      squiqqle over a typo) which has not occurred to me.
      It was good to hear from you.
      Faithfully yours,
      Theodore Roosevelt

      Mr. Lincoln A. Lang,
      yule,
      Billings County, N. Dak.
      it is on a plain sheet of paper except that the words THE WHITE HOUSE
      WASHINGTON are printed in bold on the top left side. WASHINGTON under THE
      WHITE HOUSE. under the E in WHITE.
      Hope this helps.

      On Sat, 04 Mar 2000 18:24:36 -0800, tr-m@egroups.com wrote:

      > hi!
      >
      > I am researching what a leeter from TR would have looked like!! Did
      > it have a White House Emblem on top? A Seal? ...and also the envelope
      > it would have been sent in...would that have had a seal of some sort??
      >

      > Thanks in advnce
      >

      > << File Attachment Removed: "text/html" >>

      Visit http://freeworld.excite.com
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic