2441Re: [tr-m] Re: What are the top five must read books about Theodore Roosevelt?

  • kuniegel@verizon.net
    Dec 6, 2011

      Your information about Corinne's book is greatly appreciated. The errors you mentioned are sure to be things that TR would want pointed out in the interest of historical accuracy. Perhaps you can help me out clearing up an inconsistency between Corinne’s Book and Bishop’s. The time line between the Saratoga speech and Quentin’s death notification seem to indicate an error. I had thought that Corinne may have been talking about an unofficial notification that could have come July 16, 1918. It seemed unlikely that Corinne was confused about the time line.

      ( Corinne’s excerpt in question {full contest of the citation  is included further down})

      On the morning of the day, July 17, 1918, on which he was to make his address, word reached him that his son Quentin, an aviator in the army at the front in France, had been killed in an aerial battle.

      ( Bishop’s excerpt in question {full contest of the citation  is included further down})

      The day before the convention was to take place the terrible news came that Quentin was killed.

      (Side note: was Churchill related to TR in anyway? {an acquaintance I made believed there was a common ancestor})

      (Passage from My Brother Theodore Roosevelt)

      Political events in America were also marching rapidly forward.  Already, wherever one lent a listening ear, the growing murmur rose louder and louder that Theodore Roosevelt was the only candidate to be nominated by the Republican party in 1920.  The men who had parted from him in 1912, the men who had not rallied around him in 1916, were all eagerly ranging themselves on the side of this importunate rumor.  A culminating moment was approaching.  It was the middle of July, and the informal convention of the Republican party in New York State was about to take place at Saratoga.  My eldest son, State Senator Theodore Douglas Robinson, led a number of men in the opposition of the then incumbent of the gubernatorial chair, Charles S.  Whitman.  The hearts of many were strong with desire that my brother himself should be the Republican nominee for the next governor of New York State.  No one knew his attitude on the subject, but he had promised to make the address of the occasion, my son having been appointed to make the request that he should do so.  My husband and I had arranged to meet him in Saratoga, my son having preceded us to Albany to make all the formal arrangements.  The day before the convention was to take place the terrible news came that Quentin was killed.  Of course there was a forlorn hope that this information might not be true, that the gallant boy might perhaps have reached the earth alive and might already be a prisoner in a German camp, but there seemed but little doubt of the truth of the terrible fact.  My son telephoned me the news from Albany before the morning paper could arrive at my country home, and at the same time said to me that he did not feel justified in asking his Uncle Theodore whether he still would come to Saratoga, but that he wanted me to get this information for him if possible.

      My country home in the Mohawk Hills of New York State is many miles from Sagamore Hill on Long Island, and it was difficult to get telephone connection.  My heart was unspeakably sore and heavy at the thought of the terrible sorrow that had come to my sister-in-law and my brother, and I shrank from asking any question concerning any matter except the sad news of the death of Quentin, or imminent danger to him.  My brother himself came to the telephone; the sound of his voice was as if steel had entered into the tone.  As years before he had written me from South Africa in my own great sorrow, he had "grasped the nettle." I asked him whether he would like me to come down at once to Oyster Bay, and his answer was almost harsh in its rapidity: "Of course not I will meet you in Saratoga as arranged.  It is more than ever my duty to be there.  You can come down to New York after the convention." The very tone of his voice made me realize the agony in his heart, but duty was paramount.  The affairs of his State, the affairs of the nation,' needed his counsel, needed his self-control.  His boy had paid the final price of duty; was he, the father who had taught that boy the ideal of service and sacrifice, to shrink in cowardly fashion at the crucial moment?

      The next day I met him in Albany and motored him to Saratoga.  His face was set and grave, but he welcomed my sympathy generously.  Meanwhile, the night before there had been great excitement in Saratoga.  A number of delegates were in favor of renominating Governor Charles S.  Whitman on the Republican ticket, but a large and important group of men, in fact, the largest and most important group in the Republican party of New York State, were extremely anxious that Colonel Roosevelt should allow his name to be brought forward as a candidate for governor.  Elihu Root, William Howard Taft, and many of the weighty "bosses" of the various counties lent all their efforts toward this achievement.  Colonel Roosevelt, on his arrival in Saratoga, took a quiet luncheon with my family, Mrs.  Parsons, and myself, after which we adjourned to the large hall in which the convention was to be held.  I remember before we left him that Mrs.  Parsons suggested the insertion of a sentence in the speech which he was about to make, and his immediate and grateful response to the suggestion.  No one had a more open mind to the helpful suggestion of others.

      Zzzzz

      Passage from Theodore Roosevelt in his own words / Bishop)

      eaRly  in July 1918 a movement was started, under the leadership of men who for years had been among Roose­velt's bitterest political enemies, to induce him to con­sent to become the Republican candidate for Governor of New York. The party was in desperate straits at the time. The Governor, who was a Republican and whose administra­tion had been very unpopular, was a candidate for re­election and had such complete control of the party ma­chinery that he was able to dictate his own renomination, unless Roosevelt would consent to enter the primaries against him. The shrewdest politicians of the party were convinced that without Roosevelt's candidacy defeat in the November elections was certain. They called a state con­ference of the party leaders, at Saratoga, since under the primary law there could be no convention, and invited Roosevelt, Root and Taft to deliver addresses before it. Roosevelt consented with the others. On the morning of the day, July 17, 1918, on which he was to make his address, word reached him that his son Quentin, an aviator in the army at the front in France, had been killed in an aerial battle. When the news was conveyed to him at Oyster Bay, as he was starting for New York, he said, after taking it to his wife:

      " Quentin's mother and I are very glad that he got to the front and had a chance to render some service to his coun­try and to show the stuff there was in him before his fate befell him."

      He went to the city and when asked if he would go to the conference and make his address, he said: "I must go; it is my duty." He started immediately for Saratoga, and when he appeared in the conference hall, the entire assem­blage arose and gave him a subdued and most impressive greeting. He delivered his address as he had prepared it in advance, and at its close added a passage which, inspired as it clearly was by the affliction that had befallen him, made a profound impression upon his auditors: