2435RE: [tr-m] Re: What are the top five must read books about Theodore Roosevelt?

  • Mark Arend
    Dec 5, 2011
      Back in high school, or maybe junior high, I read Hagedorn's
      "Roosevelt family of Sagamore Hill". Haven't read it since so I
      can't say how it holds up either literarily or for scholarship but it
      ignited a 40-year interest in TR.

      In more modern writers, McCullough certainly.

      --MWA

      At 05:27 PM 12/5/2011, Linda E. Milano wrote:

      >Of course, the Morris trilogy has to head the list.
      >

      >Don't forget "The Life and Times of Theodore Roosevelt" by William
      >Harbaugh. Best one volume bio of TR. Concise and to the
      >point. John Gable swore by it.
      >

      >There is also a Life and Times of Theodore Roosevelt by Stephan
      >Lorant, which is less about the man himself than a thorough
      >background of the era and forces with which TR had to contend.
      >

      >Other good ones - Mornings on Horseback by David McCullough. Takes
      >TR up to the time he married Edith Kermit Carow. Excellent study
      >about how his family helped to shape the man he was to become.
      >

      >Theodore Roosevelt: A Life by Nathan Miller.
      >

      >If you want a good vignette of a specific period of TR's life, then
      >Commissioner Roosevelt by H. Paul Jeffers is good.
      >

      >BY TR:
      >

      >The Rough Riders by Theodore Roosevelt. There is also a book by the
      >same title by Edward Marshall - a journalist with the campaign who
      >actually was injured during the fighting. More balanced reporting,
      >with a better list of the troops.
      >

      >I like looking through TR's Presidential Addresses. Shows exactly
      >what was on his mind, in his own words.
      >

      >As for the Autobiography of Theodore Roosevelt - it was actually
      >cobbled together from a series of articles that TR wrote over the
      >years, and is more significant for what it leaves out than what it includes.

      Mark Arend
      Oshkosh Wisc.

      Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's
      too dark to read.
      ---Groucho Marx
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic