2434RE: [tr-m] Re: What are the top five must read books about Theodore Roosevelt?

    Dec 5 3:27 PM

      Of course, the Morris trilogy has to head the list.

      Don't forget "The Life and Times of Theodore Roosevelt"  by William Harbaugh.  Best one volume bio of TR.  Concise and to the point.  John Gable swore by it.

      There is also a Life and Times of Theodore Roosevelt by Stephan Lorant, which is less about the man himself than a thorough background of the era and forces with which TR had to contend.

      Other good ones - Mornings on Horseback by David McCullough.  Takes TR up to the time he married Edith Kermit Carow.  Excellent study about how his family helped to shape the man he was to become.

      Theodore Roosevelt: A Life by Nathan Miller.

      If you want a good vignette of a specific period of TR's life, then Commissioner Roosevelt by H. Paul Jeffers is good.

      BY TR:

      The Rough Riders by Theodore Roosevelt.  There is also a book by the same title by Edward Marshall - a journalist with the campaign who actually was injured during the fighting. More balanced reporting, with a better list of the troops.

      I like looking through TR's Presidential Addresses.  Shows exactly what was on his mind, in his own words.

      As for the Autobiography of Theodore Roosevelt - it was actually cobbled together from a series of articles that TR wrote over the years, and is more significant for what it leaves out than what it includes.

      That's about all I can think of at the moment.

      Linda Milano