2433Re: [tr-m] Re: What are the top five must read books about Theodore Roosevelt?

  • Robert G Rafael Guber
    Dec 5 10:01 AM
      I would have to begin (maybe begin is not the right word) with the Morris trilogy. The reason is simple. He gives us a detailed continuous base line of information from which more specific knowledge can be added from other sources based on a reader's interests. He is also the TR of TR authors - a
      man who was laughed at as a foreign born writer of ad copy who thought he could accomplish something unique and important. "They" told him it couldn't be done. He embodies the spirit of the man he wrote about.

      Rafael Gubee

      On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 12:26 PM, SimonATL <simonatl@...> wr  a man who was luaghed at ote:

      I like many books about and by TR. Here are a few and I think it IS important to read TR in his OWN words. That tells you a LOT about him.

      1. The 7 Worlds of TR by Edward Wagenknecht - Excellent summary of TR from so many angles.
      2. Theodore Roosevelt and His Times - Excellent TR & Times
      3. The Republican Roosevelt - Excellent short book on TR's political talents and ultimate failures with the Progressive Party
      4. Brinkley's Wilderness Warrior - Definitive work on both his background in the sciences, naturalism, nature love and conserv
      ationcan
      5. Theodore Roosevelt - An American Mind - Selected Writings - Shows his amazing diversity as a writer.

      --- In tr-m@..., "John" <DRVOTE@...> wrote:

      > Dear tr-m group members,
      > What do you consider the top five books ABOUT Theodore Roosevelt you believe any self-proclaimed TR fan must read including multiple volume sets as one book (excluding Morris' three volumes because these clearly would be included in everyone's list)?
      > Plus, what are your top five favorite books WRITTEN by Theodore Roosevelt?
      > Although I own probably 75 books by and about TR, I have the perception that I have NOT read the most essential TR books and want to make sure I have.
      >
      > All the best,
      > John Olsen

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic