240Re: [tr-m] Theodore Roosevelt's 1903 Grand Island Visit

  • Tweed Roosevelt
    Feb 2, 2002
      There is a brief reference to this stop in the little known book Roosevelt Among the People, Thomas, Addison C., The L. W. Walter Company, Chicago, 1910.  The sub title is "Being an Account of the Fourteen Thousand Mile Journey from Ocean to Ocean of Theodore Roosevelt, Twenty-Sixth President of the United States, Together with the Public Speeches Made by Him During the Journey."  The appropriate material on pages 158-9 is as follows.

      "Sunday, the 26th, (of April 1903) was quietly spent at Grand Island, Neb.  The President attended St. Stephen's Episcopal Church in the morning, and, in the afternoon went horseback riding with Senator Dietrich, visiting Taylor's sheep ranch and the Soldiers' Home, where he was greeted by the veterans.  The 27th, before leaving Grand Island, the President broke the ground on which the new Carnegie library building is to stand.  He was joined by Governor Mickey, who, with United States Senators Dietrich and Millard, accompanied him through Nebraska."

      For information off line about speakers etc. please post your contact data.

      At 06:35 PM 2/2/2002 +0000, you wrote:
      Hi,  I am looking for information concerning the 1903 Grand Island,
      Nebraska visit of Theodore Roosevelt.  The museum and library I work
      at are planning a large weekend event concerning this visit, and I am
      trying to find information.  This visit was the weekend after
      President Roosevelt's visit to Yellowstone and his dedication of the
      Roosevelt Arch.  Can anyone help.  I am also looking for a historian,
      speaker or Theodore Roosevelt impersonator to be involved in this
      event.  Any help would be great.
      Thank you,

      Leslie Vollnogle
      Interim Collections Manager