2085More Info on the Copyrights to TR Photos in the Library of Congress

  • Keith Simon
    Oct 6, 2008

      Russell and all researchers -

      When you go to that Presidential Photos Collection site at

      http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/list/057_pra5.html

      you will notice that if you do click on that specific photo in the Presidential collection it indicates that there is "No known restrictions on publication"

      Specifically, the following page comes up:

      http://lcweb2.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/r?pp/ils:@bandnot(@FIELD(NUMBER+3a09872)@FIELD(COLLID+cphx)) ."   where you see the following:

      TITLE:  [Theodore Roosevelt, full-length portrait, standing beside large globe, facing front]

      CALL NUMBER:  PRES FILE - Roosevelt, Theodore--Photo--Full <item> [P&P]

      REPRODUCTION NUMBER:  LC-USZC4-11867 (color film copy transparency)
      LC-USZ62-7220 (b&w film copy neg.)

      RIGHTS INFORMATION:  No known restrictions on publication.

      MEDIUM:  1 photographic print.

      CREATED/PUBLISHED:  c1903 Feb. 24.

      NOTES:

      A41808 U.S. Copyright Office.

      Photograph by Rockwood Photo Co.

      SUBJECTS:

      Roosevelt, Theodore,--1858-1919.
      Globes--1900-1910.

      FORMAT:

      Portrait photographs 1900-1910.
      Photographic prints 1900-1910.

      REPOSITORY:  Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA

      DIGITAL ID:  (color film copy transparency) cph 3g11867 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/cph.3g11867
      (b&w film copy neg.) cph 3a09872 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/cph.3a09872

      VIDEO FRAME ID:  LCPP003A-09872 (from b&w film copy neg.)

      CONTROL #:  96521983

      Keith

      --- In tr-m@yahoogroups.com, "Keith Simon" <simonamerica@...> wrote:

      > Russell -
      >
      > Re Question 1.
      > You can write to
      > Editor, Journal of the Theodore Roosevelt Association
      > Theodore Roosevelt Association
      > 20 Audrey Avenue Oyster Bay, NY 11771-1532
      >
      > Re Question 2.
      > Library of Congess. That famous photo is in the
      > US Library of Congress (LOC) Collection,
      > Prints and Photographs Division,
      > Reproduction #:LC-USZ62-7220
      >
      > It can be seen on at least two LOC web sites
      > Site 1.
      > http://lcweb2.loc.gov/ammem/trhtml/tr3.html
      >
      > and
      >
      > Site 2.
      > US Presidents Photos Collection
      > (including several other well known TR photos) at
      >
      > http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/list/057_pra5.html
      >
      > Note that if you click on that LC-USZ62-7220 number above that photo
      > you will get much more detailed information. You can do the same with
      > the other TR photos at that site.
      >
      > Harvard University has no copyright on that photo.
      >
      > Keith
      >

      > --- In tr-m@yahoogroups.com, "Russell, Greg" grussell@ wrote:
      > >
      > > Two quick questions:
      > >
      > > 1. Does anyone know who I should directly contact to secure
      > permission to reprint an article that appeared some time back in the
      > quarterly journal of the TR Association?
      > >
      > > 2. I am also interested in securing permission to use the 1903
      > photograph of TR in the White House standing next to the huge globe.
      > I was not sure who held the copyright or who to contact (Harvard,
      > Library of Congress)?
      > >
      > > Thanks for any insight here. GR

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic