      Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 7:28 AM
      Subject: Re: [tr-m] Re: Ancestry question

      So Edith Wharton was related to the Roosevelts through her husband Teddy?  Had she not married Teddy, there would have been no relationship?

      Harry Lembeck
      On Aug 5, 2008, at 10:09 PM, Linda Milano wrote:

      Thank you - I'll enter the info into my Roosevelt genealogy database - I've got over 17,000 people in there already - problem is the file is so large, it's getting unstable...

      Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 7:17 PM
      Subject: [tr-m] Re: Ancestry question

      The Roosevelts are related to Edith Wharton through Nicholas Guy
      Roosevelt 1883-1965. He was the son of Nicholas Latrobe Roosevelt
      (and brother of Henry Latrobe Roosevelt, Asst. Secy. of the Navy
      during FDR's administration) . He was graduated from Princeton in 1904
      and married Emily Wharton Sinkler (no issue that I know of). Mrs.
      Sinkler-Roosevelt was related to Edith Newbold Jones through her
      mother, Emily Wharton. She was the daughter of Thomas Isaac Wharton
      and Arabella Griffin. Thomas's parents were Isaac Wharton and
      Margaret Rawle. Isaac's parents were Joseph Wharton and Hannah
      Carpenter and his brother was Carpenter Wharton. Carpenter married
      Elizabeth Davis and begat John Wharton. John married Nancy Craig and
      had three children by her, one of whom was William Craig Wharton.
      William C. Wharton married Nancy Willing Spring by whom he had a son:
      Edward Robbins Wharton, husband of Edith Newbold Jones Wharton.

      BA

      --- In tr-m@yahoogroups. com, Linda Milano <lemilano@.. .> wrote:

      > I've been going through my computerized Roosevelt genealogy file
      that I began while working at the TRA. I've got almost 10,000 persons
      (not all directly related) and still can't find the connection to
      Edith Wharton. I've come up with Alexander Hamilton and Aaron Burr,
      plus the Puritan divine Jonathan Edwards, General Daniel Stewart, and
      a host of other interesting people. Plus Daniel Tyler, an ancestor of
      Edith Kermit Roosevelt through his second wife, had as his first wife
      the daughter of General Israel Putnam, the Revolutionary War commander
      in Massachusetts. Interestinger and interestinger.

      > Best,
      > Linda Milano

      of her family... it is a web of various direct and in-direct kinfolk.

      > For me, I have met a number of Roosevelt Cousins. Last
      year I ran into Glenn Roosevelt. We have a pending appointment to look
      over loose ends in the family charts... as Glenn is more related

      > to TR (The Oyster Bay side of The Family).
      >

      > Al (Alfred "Ed Moch" Cota)

      Roosevelts had
      > social standing that the newly rich 'upstarts' couldn't
      buy. The
      > specific line reads: "The Vanderbilts could not buy, after
      the fact,
      > a generalship in the American Revolution , or a seat at the
      > Philadelphia convention. Alice's ancestors had both."
      >
      > The wording and context leads me to believe that the
      ancestors
      > referred to are on the Roosevelt side rather than the
      Bulloch or Lee sides.

      > --MWA
      >
      > >Hello Mark;
      > >

      > > Can you be more precise as to ancestors mentioned in the
      book "Alice"?

      > >Alfred "Ed Moch" Cota
      > >
      > >--- On Mon, 6/16/08, Mark Arend <mwarend@centurytel . net>
      wrote:
      > >From: Mark Arend <mwarend@centurytel . net>
      > >Subject: [tr-m] Ancestry question
      > >To: tr-m@yahoogroups. com
      > >Date: Monday, June 16, 2008, 8:29 PM
      > >

      > >I've just picked up a copy of 'Alice' by Stacy Cordery.
      On page 2
      > >she mentions that among Alice's ancestors are a
      Revolutionary general
      > >& delegate at the 'Philadelphia convention' (I assume she
      means the
      > >Constitutional convention) implying that this comes from the
      > >Roosevelt side of the family. I don't remember reading this
      > >before. Anyone know who these would be?
      > >
      > >Mark Arend
      > >Oshkosh Wisc.
      > >
      > >Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend. Inside of a
      dog it's
      > >too dark to read.
      > >---Groucho Marx
      > >

      > Mark Arend
      > Oshkosh Wisc.
      >
      > Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend. Inside of a
      dog it's
      > too dark to read.
      > ---Groucho Marx

    • Show all 20 messages in this topic