2027RE: [tr-m] Re: From a NEW Member Seeking Help.

  • Henry Hendrix
    Jul 15 10:23 AM
      When did he make this proposal in the second term?  What is your source?  I am very interested.
      VR
      Henry Hendrix
      CDR, USN (PhD)

      > To: tr-m@yahoogroups.com
      > From: patrickjhealy2001@...
      > Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 15:23:50 +0000
      > Subject: [tr-m] Re: From a NEW Member Seeking Help.
      >
      > He was incredibly visionary socially, politically, financially -- he
      > doubled his inheritance in twelve years -- and militarily. One of
      > his less well known proposals was for "a naval vessel devoted
      > exclusively to the transport, launching and landing of military
      > aircraft" which he put forward during his second term. As often
      > happens, Congress did not wish to spend the money.
      >

      > --- In tr-m@yahoogroups.com, Cam Lynn <camnpam@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Patrick,
      > >
      > > You aren't the first person to make these
      > observations/speculations
      > > but possibly the first to begin a novel considering the "what ifs".
      > >
      > > You are certainly correct in your opinion that Roosevelt was very
      > > perceptive and forward thinking regarding the world scene.
      > >
      > > I would encourage you to complete your project. I'm sure there are
      > > lot of us interested.
      > >
      > > Like many of us, you are another innocent victim that's been sucked
      > in
      > > to the bottomless pit of wanting to know more and more about
      > Theodore
      > > Roosevelt, his character and his times.
      > >
      > > Have a good time................
      > >
      > > Cam Lynn
      > > Brookings, OR
      > >

      > > On Jul 14, 2008, at 2:46 PM, Linda Milano wrote:
      > >

      > > > OK, here goes. TR came back from Europe in 1910, where he met
      > with
      > > > Kaiser Wilhelm and reviewed the troops with him.
      > > >
      > > > At that time, he cautioned that war was brewing in Europe and
      > that
      > > > the US should prepare, because we were going to be drawn into it
      > > > sooner or later.. He also cautioned to keep an eye on Japan.
      > > >
      > > > If you can get your hands on the collected letters of TR, you
      > should
      > > > read the one he sent to the King of England at the end of the
      > war.
      > > > It contains his recommendations about how the peace treaty
      > should
      > > > have been drawn up - if his recommendations had been adopted,
      > > > Germany and the Balkans would have been in much better shape,
      > which
      > > > would have warded off World War II.
      > > >
      > > > As far as the election of 1912, many men (women did not yet have
      > the
      > > > vote) voted on party lines, no matter how much those voters
      > liked
      > > > TR. If TR had run as a Republican, he would have won easily. As
      > it
      > > > was, Taft and Roosevelt split the vote, allowing Wilson to win.
      > > >
      > > > That's all I can think of off the top of my head.
      > > >
      > > > Best,
      > > > Linda Milano

      The i’m Talkaton. Can 30-days of conversation change the world? Find out now.
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic