1687Re: Boxing in the White House

  • axonqueen
    Jul 3, 2007
      Hi,

      My impression is that Butt was more of a tennis player! Was
      Edith's cousin one of the Rough Riders; I guess I remember the
      boxing match being between TR and one of his Rough Rider buddies?

      Happy 4th of July, Linda

      --- In tr-m@yahoogroups.com, Linda Milano <lemilano@...> wrote:

      > Sorry to disagree, but the boxing match in question was not with
      Archie Butts - it was with a cousin of his wife Edith's (whose name
      escapes me at the moment. He never mentioned it because he did not
      want to hurt the man's feelings.

      > Best,
      > Linda Milano

      The
      > Story of Fifty Years in the White House Mail Room. New York:
      Julian
      > Messner, 1949, stating that Ira Smith was a peppery fellow who
      ran
      > the White House mail room from 1897 to 1948. He started working
      > during the administration of William McKinley and was the only
      mail
      > room staffer until the volume of mail made it necessary to hire
      help
      > during the administration of Franklin Roosevelt. Other
      biographers
      > such as Morris mention it. They also note that this was not
      common
      > knowledge nor was it released to the American people at the time.
      >
      > Simon
      >
      > --- In tr-m@yahoogroups.com, Jim Wiedman <jim@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I've got a friend who asked me for details about TR boxing in
      the
      > East
      > > Room in the White House. I had remembered that he lost the use
      of
      > his
      > > left eye in one of the fights, and I was able to find a
      reference
      > to a
      > > young artillery captain who was the boxer, but I can't find his
      > name.
      > > Does anyone know who it was that TR was boxing with?
      > >
      > > Does anyone have any other details of boxing matches in the
      East
      > Room?
      > >
      > > Jim

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic