128Re: [tr-m] Orlando Sentinel Story

  • Dinosaur Interplanetary Gazette
    Dec 14, 2000
      Thank you.

      It was a little unclear to me personally. Perhaps if it had a simple line of introduction. Just a suggestion for future such things.

      Interesting.

      ES

      John Yirak wrote:

      The entire e-mail was a newspaper article that had been sent to me.  I copied and submitted it intact (without adding any comments) as an item of interest for the group.
      John Yirak

      Dinosaur Interplanetary Gazette wrote:

      Is this a newspaper article or Mr. Yirak's own opinion (or both)?

      Thank you.

      ES

      John Yirak wrote:

      Commentary
      Roosevelt talks tough on Scouts
      Published December 10, 2000

      I thought it might make an interesting contrast with current
      circumstances
      to read the words of advice that Teddy Roosevelt gave the Boy Scouts in
      1911.

      Before I quote his words, which cynics will say are corny, let me remind
      you
      that these words did not come from either a naïve or a wimpy man.
      Roosevelt
      had known the death of loved ones, the hardship of ranching in the
      Dakotas,
      the fierce infighting of being a police commissioner of New York City, a

      member of the legislature, a governor, a vice president and a president.

      He had built the Panama Canal, and he had led men in combat and killed
      men
      in personal combat. There is no modern politician I know of whose resume

      comes even close to that of Teddy Roosevelt.

      In a letter to a Scout executive, Roosevelt wrote, "The movement is one
      for
      efficiency and patriotism. It does not try to make soldiers of Boy
      Scouts
      but to make boys who will turn out as men to be fine citizens and who
      will,
      if their country needs them, make better soldiers for having been
      Scouts.

      "No man is a good citizen unless he so acts as to show that he actually
      uses
      the Ten Commandments and translates the Golden Rule into his life
      conduct —
      and I don't mean by this in exceptional cases under spectacular
      circumstances, but I mean applying the Ten Commandments and the Golden
      Rule
      in the ordinary affairs of every-day life. I hope the Boy Scouts will
      practice truth and square dealing and courage and honesty. The man who
      counts and the boy who counts are the man and boy who steadily endeavor
      build up, to improve, to better living conditions everywhere and all
      about
      them.

      "The same qualities that mean success or failure to the nation as a
      whole
      mean success or failure in men and boys individually. To be helpless,
      self-indulgent, or wasteful will turn the boy into a mighty poor kind of
      man
      just as the indulgence in such vices by the men of a nation means the
      ruin
      of a nation. Any boy is worth nothing if he has not got courage, courage
      stand up against the forces of evil and courage to stand up in the right

      path. Let him be unselfish and gentle, as well as strong and brave. It
      should be a matter of pride to him that he is not afraid of anyone and
      that
      he scorns not to be gentle and considerate to everyone, especially to
      those
      who are weaker than he is. If he doesn't treat his mother and sisters
      well,
      then he is a poor creature no matter what else he does; just as a man
      who
      doesn't treat his wife well is a poor kind of citizen no matter what his

      other qualities may be. Let the boy remember he must have knowledge, he
      must
      cultivate a sound body and a good mind and train himself so that he can
      act
      with quick decision in any crisis that may arise. Mind, eye, muscle all
      must
      be trained so that the boy can master himself and thereby learn to
      master
      his fate."

      This letter is taken from the very first Boy Scout handbook. It has been

      reprinted by Applewood Books, Bedford, Mass., and shows an organization
      that
      was pretty tough. It contains, for example, instructions about how to
      kill a
      mad dog and how to stop a runaway horse.

      It's hard to imagine a modern president giving the same advice that
      Teddy
      Roosevelt offered. Most recent presidents have more or less fractured
      the
      Ten Commandments, and, of course, Bill Clinton has not treated his wife
      nor
      any other woman well. And nowadays there are people attacking the Boy
      Scouts
      rather than encouraging them, because they refuse to compromise on
      religion
      and morality. Such is the ruined state of the nation today.
      Copyright © 2000, Orlando Sentinel

      AOL IM Pager - DinoEditor

      The Dinosaur Interplanetary Gazette - 245 Million Years of News at Dinosaur Central
      http://www.dinosaur.org mailto:Editor@...
      Recommended by The National Education Association,Encyclopedia Britannica Internet Guide, Yahoo and Yahooligans Choice, Netscape Site of the Day. Member of The Paleo Ring

      A prequel to Teefr by Edward Summer
      http://www.dinosaur.org/teefr/bearbob.htmmailto:Teefr@...