Re: Re : Who is/was - Herp Albert

  • Ian McKechnie
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 29, 1997
      Neville Young wrote :

      > Herb Alpert was born in 1902 in Huddersfield and used to be called
      > Brian Postlethwaite. His mum and dad still live at 49 Coalmineview Avenue
      > and ran the sub post office by the station until 1992.

      > Herb - or Brian as he was then - was principal cornet in Black
      > Dyke Mills band for 37 years before the notorious 'Taco Episode' which led
      > to his change of name and exile abroad. You really must check your facts
      > before posting to this group! :)

      I think you've fallen into the common trap of confusing Brian
      Postlethwaite with his cousin Albert Postlethwaite who won a
      scholarship to Manchester University and thereafter went under the
      pseudonym of "Brain" Postlethwaite. It was he who had the
      unfortunate experience with the Taco, which led him to emigrate.

      Because of another unfortunate incident in his youth, he was also
      known as "Herpes Albert" which was the name he gave to the
      immigration authorities in his adopted country. "Herp Albert" as he
      was affectionately known by his few and indiscriminating friends,
      eventually died in obscurity from an apoplexy brought on by
      discovering that his condition - i.e. playing the cornet - was
      considered incurable by medical science, and socially disadvantageous.

      And of course he is not at all to be confused with any other musician
      with a similar, though quite distinct name, lots of money, and a team
      of lawyers...........

      ;-)

      Ian McKechnie
      <mckechnie@...>