Re: [toyota-prius] 2001 Classic "Turtle" light at -6 F

  • Larry Finch
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2007
      On 2/2/07, joljol56 <jol@...> wrote:
      > On start-up this morning at -6 degrees F. my 2001 Classic showed the
      > turtle light. Let it run 15 minutes and re-started after a couple of
      > minutes. Repeated several times. Turtle light still on.
      >
      > More than 3/4 tank of gas. 76,000 miles. All warranty service and upgrades
      > done.
      >
      > Leaving it in the driveway for now.

      The Turtle light simply means that the traction battery state of
      charge is too low to use for a power boost. The best fix is to let it
      run long enough to bring the battery state of charge within its normal
      parameters; the turtle light should go out when this state is reached.
      Leaving it off will not solve the problem. If there are no other
      warnings this is the only problem, and is probably due to the low
      temperature coupled with the fact that the battery state of charge was
      probably low when you shut it off. The battery capacity does vary some
      with temperature.

      best,

      Larry

      --
      Larry Finch

      N 40° 53' 47"
      W 74° 03' 56"
    • Michelle Vadeboncoeur
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2007
        --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "joljol56" <jol@...> wrote:

        > On start-up this morning at -6 degrees F. my 2001 Classic showed
        the
        > turtle light. Let it run 15 minutes and re-started after a couple
        of
        > minutes. Repeated several times. Turtle light still on.
        >
        > More than 3/4 tank of gas. 76,000 miles. All warranty service and
        upgrades
        > done.
        >
        > Leaving it in the driveway for now.

        The turtle light is just to tell you that you will not have electric
        assist while driving. About the only way to see the turtle light on
        the Classic NHW11 Prius is for the hybrid battery pack to be too
        cold. (On the original 1998-2000 Japanese NHW10 Prius, it would also
        come on if the hybrid battery pack had a too low SOC (drained going
        up a long hill, for example) or if the pack was too hot, but neither
        of these scenarios seem to cause the turtle light to appear in the
        newer Classic Prius.) The turtle light was removed on the current
        NHW20 Prius.

        Just drive conservatively, knowing that you won't have the
        acceleration that you're used to. Make sure that you have your cabin
        heat on, and that the rear battery vents aren't blocked.

        I've seen the turtle light only 3 times so far on my US 2001 Prius.
        (Car sitting outside overnight or while at work, in cold and
        particularly windy weather.) Honestly, other than having the light
        on, I didn't really realize that anything was wrong with my car.
        But, once the turtle light went out after about 30min of driving
        (backroad/state highways with many stops), there was a marked
        improvement in the car (better acceleration, engine less noisy, etc.)
      • Patrick Wong
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2, 2007
          I experienced the turtle light once on my 2001, while on a summer
          drive to Lake Arrowhead (a mountainous climb). I attribute the
          light coming on to either low SOC or traction battery overheating.
          In any event, the light went off after a period of gentle driving.

          Patrick Wong

          --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "Michelle Vadeboncoeur"