Re: UM, HELLO MODERATOR?

  • tumbleweed_biff
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 31, 2007
      --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "Charley & Peggy Robinson"
      <ccrobins@...> wrote:

      > Well, they certainly seem to be asleep, to date. They could wake up
      > long enough to put a stop this "65 mph" thread and tell Mike B. to
      > quit calling inoffensive people names. Could even tell me not to
      > characterize an offensive poster as I did. Vulunteer mods or not,
      > perhaps they need to wake up.

      Bad idea. Posting cops should only step in when there is a real and
      true need. The 65 mph thread will die of its own accord soon enough.
      You're not interested in it? *DON'T READ IT*. The best "moderation"
      (a.k.a censorship) is what happens on *YOUR* machine.

      Michael (not Mike B.)
    • JerryW
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 1, 2007
        On 01/02/07, Charley & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@...> wrote:

        > Well, they certainly seem to be asleep, to date. They could wake up
        > long enough to put a stop this "65 mph" thread and tell Mike B. to
        > quit calling inoffensive people names. Could even tell me not to
        > characterize an offensive poster as I did. Vulunteer mods or not,
        > perhaps they need to wake up.

        Anyone who wants to contact the moderators can email:
        toyota-prius-owner@yahoogroups.com as stated on the home page.

        A more appropriate place for some of these discussions would be
        hybrid-flame or hybrid_politics:

        Regards

        Jerry
        (a moderator, though not of this group)
        Over 2,130 Prius Owners on the Frapper map now!!!
        Please join if you haven't! Help reach 3,000
        http://www.frappr.com/priusowners

      • Michael Pardee
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 1, 2007
          <ccrobins@...> wrote:

          > Maybe it's time to leave this group, since it seems we no longer
          > have a moderator.
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > CR

          Having moderated another Yahoo! group for a couple years now, I can
          shed some light on this.

          There is always a difficult balance between keeping a forum open and
          keeping the peace. IMO, this discussion hasn't actually risen to the
          level where moderator intervention is necessary or even desirable.
          Yes, it's almost entirely OT and there was one remark taken out of
          spirit that caused some bruised feelings for a bit, but it doesn't
          seem to be on course to getting uglier. In fact, the thread appears
          to be dying out and as far as I can see there are no enemies in its
          wake.

          This will be post 99 thousand something. That's a busy forum by any
          standards! I have the highest respect for our moderators, who I am
          certain are shielding us from trolls and spammers on a regular basis
          and have still kept the freedom that allows not only this thread but
          many others on the fringe of the topic. Of course, each of us is
          free to go our way if the environment isn't what we are looking for,
          but I sure learned quickly that there is no pleasing everybody...
          even though they may be good people.

          Mike
        • Jon Wilson
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 1, 2007
            This is one of the better groups on Yahoo. I am also a member of several
            others. The worst (of which I am a member) is the Honda Odyssey group. (My
            wife drives an Odyssey). They are continually invaded by spammers.

            Jon