Some people just shouldn't drive and talk on the phone...

  • Ken Fouts
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2006
      While sitting at a stop light waiting for a left turn arrow the other
      day other day in our '05 Tideland Pearl, I was chatting on the
      Bluetooth phone. I apparently ended the call by hitting the power
      button for the car rather than the off button for the phone on the
      steering wheel. By the time I figured out what I had done and rebooted
      the Prius, I'd missed the left turn opportunity and had some rather
      disgruntled driver's behind me. Put that one in the 'idoit file'.

      Ken
    • C.Rickey Hirose
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2006
        --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Fouts" <k.fouts@...> wrote:

        > While sitting at a stop light waiting for a left turn arrow the
        other
        > day other day in our '05 Tideland Pearl, I was chatting on the
        > Bluetooth phone. I apparently ended the call by hitting the power
        > button for the car rather than the off button for the phone on the
        > steering wheel. By the time I figured out what I had done and
        rebooted
        > the Prius, I'd missed the left turn opportunity and had some rather
        > disgruntled driver's behind me. Put that one in the 'idoit file'.
        >
        > Ken

        There is no more Cell phone in one hand glued to their ears and one
        hand on the steering . I believe CA will pass a mandate stating: Cell
        phone users while driving BE AWARE ! Big fine as high as HOV lane
        users braking the LAW ! Everyone will be using the BlueTooth enabled
        phones !

      • Paul Lawler
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1, 2006
          On Nov 1, 2006, at 11:34, C.Rickey Hirose wrote:

          > There is no more Cell phone in one hand glued to their ears and one
          > hand on the steering . I believe CA will pass a mandate stating: Cell
          > phone users while driving BE AWARE ! Big fine as high as HOV lane
          > users braking the LAW ! Everyone will be using the BlueTooth enabled
          > phones !

          Except that studies have shown that it is the act of talking on the
          phone that causes distracted driving accidents, NOT the danger of
          only one hand on the wheel. Bluetooth enabled phones don't address
          this problem.

          "We found that people are as impaired when they drive and talk on a
          cell phone as they are when they drive intoxicated at the legal blood-
          alcohol limit� of 0.08 percent, which is the minimum level that
          defines illegal drunken driving in most U.S. states, says study co-
          author Frank Drews, an assistant professor of psychology. �If
          legislators really want to address driver distraction, then they
          should consider outlawing cell phone use while driving.�

          The study reinforced earlier research by Strayer and Drews showing
          that hands-free cell phones are just as distracting as handheld cell
          phones because the conversation itself � not just manipulation of a
          handheld phone � distracts drivers from road conditions.

          <http://unews.utah.edu/p/?r=062206-1>

        • Michael Pardee
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 1, 2006
            --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, Paul Lawler <plawler@...> wrote:

            > Except that studies have shown that it is the act of talking on
            the
            > phone that causes distracted driving accidents, NOT the danger of
            > only one hand on the wheel. Bluetooth enabled phones don't
            address
            > this problem.
            >
            > "We found that people are as impaired when they drive and talk on
            > cell phone as they are when they drive intoxicated at the legal
            blood-
            > alcohol limit" of 0.08 percent, which is the minimum level that
            > defines illegal drunken driving in most U.S. states, says study co-

            > author Frank Drews, an assistant professor of psychology. "If
            > legislators really want to address driver distraction, then they
            > should consider outlawing cell phone use while driving."
            >
            > The study reinforced earlier research by Strayer and Drews
            showing
            > that hands-free cell phones are just as distracting as handheld
            cell
            > phones because the conversation itself – not just manipulation of
            > handheld phone – distracts drivers from road conditions.
            >
            > <http://unews.utah.edu/p/?r=062206-1>

            I think it depends somewhat on the driver, but I admit to being
            seriously distracted when talking on a cell phone or the company
            radio, and even when talking to a passenger. I seem to retain my eye-
            hand coordination and hazard avoidance, but I become oblivious to
            signs and almost always miss turns. When talking to a passenger I've
            learned to stop talking and to stop listening completely when I know
            something that requires thought is coming up. Otherwise I have the
            driving qualities of a chimpanzee; technically competent but
            mindless.

            Mike
          • mochalleng@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 1, 2006
              Chalk it up to the argument for making talking on the phone while operating
              a vehicle illegal.

              HANG UP AND DRIVE!!!!!

              Mike Hahn
              2002 Aqua Ice Opalescent
              93, 000 miles
              St. Louis, MO

              In a message dated 11/1/2006 2:14:46 P.M. Central Standard Time,
              k.fouts@... writes:

              While sitting at a stop light waiting for a left turn arrow the other
              day other day in our '05 Tideland Pearl, I was chatting on the
              Bluetooth phone. I apparently ended the call by hitting the power
              button for the car rather than the off button for the phone on the
              steering wheel. By the time I figured out what I had done and rebooted
              the Prius, I'd missed the left turn opportunity and had some rather
              disgruntled driver's behind me. Put that one in the 'idoit file'.

              Ken

            • kmbaileyus
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 2, 2006
                I think there are only two kinds of people - those like Mike who have
                this problem and admit it, and those who won't admit it.

                --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Pardee"