Re: Sleeping in a Prius

  • Sam Williams
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 2, 2006
      --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "Ray_Vaughan_99" <ray@...> wrote:

      > Just wondering if anyone has any comments about sleeping in the
      Prius....spend the night in the car with the a/c on?

      Yeah, sure, you could do that. As you mention, carbon monoxide is a
      real concern, though the risk is very low.

      There is a famous post way back in the archives about a guy who
      locked his dog in his Prius Classic for a few hours with the air
      conditioning on. This raised several controversial issues, (theft,
      animal cruelty, gas waste, misunderstanding pedestrians, etc.) but it
      pointed out that it is possible to do. [To lock your critter in the
      car with the car "on", you need one key in the ignition, and another
      key to manually lock the door.]

      As for gas consumption, using the trip odometer and the mileage
      indicator, I made a measurement that estimated that a Prius Classic
      with a full gas tank (11.9 gallons) would idle (on and off) for 14
      days before running out of gas. (Ambient temps ~75°F).

      I did the same simulating "extreme heater use" in the winter and
      estimated that the car would run for 2 days with the heater running
      on max with the windows open. (a very unrealistic situation).

      I declined to carry out the summertime "extreme air conditioning use"
      measurement as I was fearful of the unreasonable burden this could
      place on the cooling system of a parked car. That, of course, is
      also an unrealistic situation.

      I find that air conditioning reduces mpg by not very much as long as
      you keep the temp setting as high as you can while remaining
      comfortable, in other words, don't blast the a/c beyond the first 2
      minutes it takes to cool the interior.

      You are of course talking about a 2004+ model Prius, in which you can
      sleep lying down in the hatch.

      You must live in a climate with which I am unfamiliar if you
      sometimes need air conditioning while its raining.

      -Seldom-seen-Sam
    • Michael Pardee
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 2, 2006
        --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "Sam Williams" <s.c.williams@...>
        wrote:

        > You must live in a climate with which I am unfamiliar if you
        > sometimes need air conditioning while its raining.

        Ah, Arizona! (and probably much of the South.) It's pretty sad when
        summer storms don't drop the temperature below 90 degrees, and
        occasionally not below 100.

        Really, my sons slept in my old Volvo wagon when they were young. I
        told them to keep the windows down a bit, but they ignored my advice
        because the night was so cool. By morning their bedding was soaked
        with condensation from their breath. A/C would at least keep the air
        dry.

        Mike
      • pmb
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 3, 2006
          I further recall that Prius was voted "best car to be stuck in, in a snowdrift"

          Emissions are so low that if you're driving in Mexico City (or maybe even LA, on a bad day) the tailpipe emissions are actually cleaner than the intake air...

          Although not overnight, I've napped in the Prius on a hot day at the race track - a welcome respite from the heat, knowing I was using minimal fuel for a great return in comfort.

        • Tom M
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 3, 2006
            --- Ray_Vaughan_99 <ray@...> wrote:

            > Just wondering if anyone has any comments about
            > sleeping in the Prius.

            I do it occasiionally at a stop light. The thing is
            just so damn quiet. :)

            http://mail.yahoo.com