Warning Lights and BS from Bell Road Toyota - Phoenix

  • phxprius
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31 8:17 PM
      I hope this will be good for a laugh. Two days ago, Tuesday, I had a Toyota dealer change
      my oil. I normally change the oil myself every 5,000 miles because I don't trust the
      dealers. This was the first time a dealer had done this in about 50,000 miles. My 2001
      Prius just turned 75,000 miles.
      After the oil change, I drove home which is about 5 miles. Didn't drive Wednesday. Went
      about 7 miles to the store this afternoon and noticed a lack of power and hesitation
      accelerating from a stop. The battery screen showed that the hybrid battery was having
      trouble getting charged up and a short acceleration would take it down to practically
      nothing. Coming home, I had further hesitation and lack of power and then got a full
      panel of warning lights on both the Instrument cluster (the upper MPH lights) and the
      multi-information display.
      Check engine light, Master Warning Light, Turtle, Warning (in red), PS, Discharge Warning
      Light, and a red rectangle with a Prius outline with an exclamation point through it. I took
      a picture.

      Since Bell Road Toyota in North Phoenix was close, I limped the car to their service drive
      around 4:30 this afternoon. The "Prius" service rep met me and while looking through the
      open driver's side window at the display said, what's the problem? And I pointed and said,
      Warning lights. Lots of warning lights. That's the problem. Well, he says, I have no idea
      what those mean. Let me call the Prius tech. Wait in the lounge, I will let you know when
      the Prius tech lets me know. I told the kid who took the car back to the Prius tech, DON'T
      Turn it OFF! He apparently did not speak English.

      So, I went to Parts and got a new oil filter and an air filter as I will be changing my own oil
      again. Visited the facility and walked out as the kid pulled the car back into the drive.
      Less than 10 minutes from taking it to the Prius Tech in the garage. I found the "Prius"
      service rep again who called the garage and mumbled a bit. Then he turned to me and
      said, you know there's this sensor float in the brake fluid reservoir. Well, the sensor float
      in the brake fluid reservoir got stuck and that sent a bad brake signal which caused those
      other warning lights to come on. It's like a chain reaction but it doesn't mean anything.
      The Prius tech jiggled the sensor so it isn't stuck any more. He ran a diagnostic and there
      are no other problems. And don't worry, there is nothing wrong with your brakes. Of
      course, the brake warning light had never came on. Didn't argue as everybody was
      packing out for the day.

      Went to the car and found the warning lights out. Drove out and noticed the same
      hesitation. About half way home, all the warning lights came on again. It is clear that I
      was driving on a 4 cylinder engine only and that the hybrid battery was dead. Glad I
      stayed on city back streets. Had I not had a clue and turned onto the freeway, I would
      have been run over.

      I will take it back to Bell Road Toyota in the morning because it is close and ask to talk to
      someone who is actually Prius certified. No point in taking it anywhere else on no notice.
      If Bell Road Toyota talks trash, I will take it to Larry Miller Toyota.

      Clearly, they just reset the computer and sent me on my way with a BS explanation at the
      end of a long, hot day.

      I love this car. It is such a shame that so many dealerships and service departments bring
      shame to this fine company and this fine product.

      Phxprius
    • Doug Schaefer
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2006
        --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "phxprius" <shanahan00@...>
        wrote:

        > ...My 2001 Prius just turned 75,000 miles. After the oil
        > change, I drove home which is about 5 miles. Didn't drive
        > Wednesday. Went about 7 miles to the store this afternoon
        > and noticed a lack of power and hesitation accelerating from
        > a stop...

        There are similar reports in the archives of this group, but based
        on what you've said so far I cannot propose a single definitive cure.

        Seems to me that the most likely issues concern the electronic
        control module (see TSB EG011-03 in the toyota-prius-sat1 group
        files section), function/cleanliness of the throttle butterfly,
        engine oil in the intake manifold (which may possibly occur even if
        the engine oil has always been filled 'nicely'), or a failed
        position sensor in the accelerator pedal assembly. There are
        certainly other possibilites which show up less often.

        By all means you need to find a shop there that knows their way
        around a Prius, and you could ask for that specifically here, in the
        other yahoo prius groups, at Prius Chat, etc.

        If you find that the accel pedal is the culprit, I can offer you a
        rebuilt one for much less than Toyota sells the new part. This is a
        separate discussion we could have later.

        Good luck and keep us informed of the details.

        DAS
      • kmbaileyus
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1, 2006
          "Two days ago, Tuesday, I had a Toyota dealer change my oil" - do we
          think that it is just a coincidence that your problems started
          immediately after the oil change?

          wrote:

> [...]
          again. It is clear that I
          > was driving on a 4 cylinder engine only and that the hybrid battery
          was dead. Glad I
          > stayed on city back streets. Had I not had a clue and turned onto
          the freeway, I would
          > have been run over.
          >
          > I will take it back to Bell Road Toyota in the morning because it
          is close and ask to talk to
          > someone who is actually Prius certified. No point in taking it
          anywhere else on no notice.
          > If Bell Road Toyota talks trash, I will take it to Larry Miller
          Toyota.

          > Clearly, they just reset the computer and sent me on my way with a
          BS explanation at the
          > end of a long, hot day.
          >
          > I love this car. It is such a shame that so many dealerships and
          service departments bring
          > shame to this fine company and this fine product.

        • Tom M
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 4, 2006
            I hope that you will take the time to document this to
            Toyota USA.

            http://mail.yahoo.com