Can one adjust fan in auto air-conditioning mode?

  • Larry J. Shaw
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 29, 2006
      I have a 2006 Prius and am trying to set the air-conditioning fan in the
      middle range while in auto mode. Is that possible, or does auto always
      run the fan at the high level?

      Perhaps my problem is that I'm in San Diego where the temp. is close to
      90 during the day.

      Thanks,

      Larry
    • Larry Finch
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 29, 2006
        On 8/29/06, Larry J. Shaw <lshaw@...> wrote:
        > I have a 2006 Prius and am trying to set the air-conditioning fan in the
        > middle range while in auto mode. Is that possible, or does auto always
        > run the fan at the high level?
        >
        > Perhaps my problem is that I'm in San Diego where the temp. is close to
        > 90 during the day.

        It runs the fan at whatever speed is required to maintain the
        temperature you have set on the thermostat. If you set it to the
        lowest temperature the fan will run on high speed.

        Larry

        --
        Larry Finch

        N 40° 53' 47"
        W 74° 03' 56"
      • Jon Wilson
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 29, 2006
          On my 2005, the fan speed varies as the temperature varies. Set on auto, the
          greater the difference between your set temperature and the temperature it
          senses, the higher the fan speed. When the car cools down a bit, the fan
          speed decreases.
          I live in Phoenix area, so I notice this a lot when I park in the sun for a
          while. The fan comes on full blast, then gradually decreases as the car
          cools off. That's part of the "auto" setting behavior.

          Jon
          >I have a 2006 Prius and am trying to set the air-conditioning fan in the
          > middle range while in auto mode. Is that possible, or does auto always
          > run the fan at the high level?
          >
          > Perhaps my problem is that I'm in San Diego where the temp. is close to
          > 90 during the day.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Larry
          >

          > To access group's website features such as Files, Photos, Links, Database
          > and Polls, go to

        • Angelo Vassos
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 29, 2006
            I turn on auto air conditioning at the a/c auto button on the
            steering wheel. I then adjust the temp button on the wheel until the
            fan is blowing at a slower level. As the car cools down the fan will
            slow and you can lower the temp a bit if necessary to keep yourself
            comfortable.

            On Aug 29, 2006, at 10:08 AM, Larry J. Shaw wrote:

            I have a 2006 Prius and am trying to set the air-conditioning fan in the
            middle range while in auto mode. Is that possible, or does auto always
            run the fan at the high level?

            Perhaps my problem is that I'm in San Diego where the temp. is close to
            90 during the day.

            Thanks,

            Larry

          • Paul Lawler
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 29, 2006
              On Aug 29, 2006, at 7:08, Larry J. Shaw wrote:

              > I have a 2006 Prius and am trying to set the air-conditioning fan in
              > the
              > middle range while in auto mode. Is that possible, or does auto always
              > run the fan at the high level?

              it is possible to override the setting, but generally not necessary
              (IMHO). The auto mode will only run at high speed until the car cools
              down a bit. I leave mine on 79 when the ambient temperature is in the
              80's or higher, and it seems to do a good job of changing speed to meet
              demand. When the ambient temperature is lower than 80 I crack the
              passenger side windows a little, because I play the "how many miles can
              I squeeze out of a teaspoon. So far my personal best is only .082, but
              I am shooting for .1. Note that the "Fabulous Four plus One" got way
              better than .1 miles per teaspoon.
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 30, 2006
                AUTO is just that - it runs the fan where necessary to achieve your preselected
                temperature as quickly as possible, then cuts back to maintain. Just like your
                home thermostat. Be patient. Try setting the temperature around 75, and don't
                mess with it.

                Pete (in the tropics, always on AUTO)

                Larry J. Shaw wrote:

                > I have a 2006 Prius and am trying to set the air-conditioning fan in the
                > middle range while in auto mode. Is that possible, or does auto always
                > run the fan at the high level?
                >
                > Perhaps my problem is that I'm in San Diego where the temp. is close to
                > 90 during the day.
                >
                > Thanks,
                >
                > Larry

              • Tom M
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 31, 2006
                  The more likely problem is that you have the temp
                  setting to MAX COOL. This will force the fan to run
                  at high speed 100% of the time. BTW, it also does
                  nasty things to your mileage.

                  Set the temp to something that's comfortable, e.g.,
                  72~74 and then just let the system run itself.

                  Tom

                  --- "Larry J. Shaw" <lshaw@...> wrote:

                  > I have a 2006 Prius and am trying to set the
                  > air-conditioning fan in the
                  > middle range while in auto mode. Is that possible,
                  > or does auto always
                  > run the fan at the high level?
                  >
                  > Perhaps my problem is that I'm in San Diego where
                  > the temp. is close to
                  > 90 during the day.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  >
                  > Larry

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • David Motz
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 31, 2006
                    I've never understood why people think auto is like a home thermostat.
                    I've don't have a home thermostat that will run the ac all day and
                    then crank up the furnace as soon as the sun sets.

                    I commonly set the temp in the car to 78 or 79 on my way home from
                    work to get some moderate cooling only to find in the cool of the
                    following morning that the car is running the heater, which I
                    certainly do not want under any circumstance in the summer time. The
                    exact opposite happens in the winter when I never want the ac to run.

                    I can't find much to complain about on the Prius, but I think the
                    thermostat is it's most irritating feature. I have to constantly
                    fiddle with the temperature setting on the steering wheel to get the
                    temperature and fan speed that I want... At least you can turn off
                    the ac on the touch screen, but there is no way to turn off the heat
                    except to adjust the temperature setting.

                    Any decent home thermostat has a switch for heating or cooling, or
                    better yet, two temperature settings, so you can have ac at 78 and
                    heat at 65 and save energy and enjoy the silence in between...

                    --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, Peter Blackford <PriusPete@...>

                  • mikes.email@juno.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 4, 2006
                      I set mine all the time. Just select the fan speed you want and select a
                      temperature. It will keep it that temp for you if you leave the AC
                      turned on, and you have the option of turning AC off too. As far as I
                      can tell, the AC still varies it's speed depending on how much cooling is
                      needed. I'm sure it was made to do that all the time whether in AUTO AC
                      or not.

                      I do that all the time because I prefer mostly fresh air coming in 90% of
                      the time and coming in down by my feet because the vents tend to dry out
                      my eyes.

                      Mike 05 #6
                    • mikes.email@juno.com
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 4, 2006
                        Yeah but that doesn't work for all of us unfortunately, so I prefer /
                        need to "mess with it". <g>

                        I for instance, have a problem due to taking 4 different Glaucoma drops
                        in that the air from the vents always dries out my eyes. So I select
                        everything on the MFD after first pressing the AUTO AC button on the
                        wheel. I specifically listened to the compressor and it still varies
                        it's speed, but I get to have the air flow coming in at the rate that
                        won't dry my eyes out, and get to keep it coming out down on the floor
                        which also helps me.

                        It may not be as "Fully Auto" in that it doesn't allow the fan speed to
                        change or the vents to change, but for me this secondary "Semi-Auto" way
                        works best, so I just wanted to pass that on as well in case it helps
                        others too.

                        Mike 05 #6