[toyota-prius] Re: Things I *don't* like about my Prius

  • David B. Gustavson
    Message 1 of 37 , Aug 1 10:12 AM
      Advantages of the shifter being the way it is:
      1. It's always in the same place, so you can easily find it by habit
      without looking (once you have the habit).
      2. It can't get out of sync with reality. If it tried to stay in a
      position corresponding to the "gear" you are in, there would be a new
      failure mode--switch bounces or misalignments could result in the car
      being in a different gear than the lever shows. This is because it's
      not a mechanical simple linkage, and the "gear" is really a
      computer-controlled behavior not any physical thing in the car.
      Having the computer change the shift display as it does is less
      likely to get out of sync (once the software is debugged!).
      3. The alternative that would be equivalent in behavior would be five
      pushbuttons (D,N,B,R,P), which would be harder to find and operate by
      habitual motion.
      Dave

      At 5:38 PM +0000 2006/07/31, mightyraydawg wrote:
      > > What is the positive of having a gear lever that always returns to
      >the > neutral position?
      >
      >I await someone taking a stab at this question, as opposed to "I kinda
      >like it the way it is," and "different is okay with me."
      >
      >The shift lever seems strange to no real end... other than the
      >engineers saying, "Hey! Let's add some strangeness!"
      >
      >The same lever, in the same place on the dash, could be different AND
      >better than a regular lever. As it stands, it's only different. Not
      >only is the "return to neutral" different, it's downright
      >counter-intuitive.
      >
      >I'm still going to buy one, so I too am no troll. I think.
      >
      >ATB,
      >
      >Geronimo
    • Frank B
      Message 37 of 37 , Aug 6 5:25 AM
        Keeping a Positive mental attitude:

        "Things I'd like to Improve"

        > In Sunny Florida there are times that the blazing summer sun blasts out the view of the touch screen. perhaps a sun shade or polarrization shield.

        > Horn could use some beefing up.( Road Runner , "Beep Beep" weak) Perhaps higway option.

        > LED tecnologies should be used in more places around and in the vehicle.

        > Plug in option !
        > Better LRR tires option .

        This vehicle is outstanding !

        I'd just like to see Toyota continue to build on it's execllent past.

        Frank B.

        Nokomis , Fl