Re: [toyota-prius] Re: How to change the oil & Warranty?

    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 30, 2006
      I really wish John would lose the stuff about jacking & jack stands. On Prius,
      they are REALLY not needed and just make the whole process appear more daunting
      to a novice. I've changed the oil in LOTS of cars over the years, and Prius is
      undoubtedly the easiest. Just lie on the ground (you'd need to anyway), and do
      the deed. Not having the car tilted makes it easier to do the final check-run &
      verify oil level too.

      Pete (this note applies to ALL Prius models to date)

      Michelle Vadeboncoeur wrote:

      > --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "David T. Harris"
      > <blueninja83@...> wrote:
      >

      >>What
      >>tools do you need to change the oil in the Prius? In
      >>

      > http://john1701a.com/prius/prius-oilchange.htm
      >
      > http://www.vfaq.net/mods/OilChange.html

    • Doug Schaefer
      Message 2 of 27 , Jul 8, 2006
        --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, Peter Blackford <PriusPete@...>
        wrote:

        > I really wish John would lose the stuff about jacking & jack stands...

        I agree, for an oil change alone. But if one wishes to also inspect
        the many other underbody parts, removing wheels is very helpful. Then,
        if any part of your body goes under the car, jack stand(s) are an
        excellent choice for safety.

        DAS
      • Dave Nuzzo
        Message 3 of 27 , Jul 8, 2006
          I agree with doug. If anypart of me is going under a car, the car will be
          supported by Jackstands AND the other wheels on the ground blocked with
          wheel chocks. Same with driving up onto ramps to change the oil, I will
          always block the rear wheels with wheel chocks, just to be extra safe.

          Dave

          On 7/8/06, Doug Schaefer <DougSchaefer@...> wrote:

          > --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com <toyota-prius%40yahoogroups.com>,
          > Peter Blackford <PriusPete@...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > I really wish John would lose the stuff about jacking & jack stands...
          >
          > I agree, for an oil change alone. But if one wishes to also inspect
          > the many other underbody parts, removing wheels is very helpful. Then,
          > if any part of your body goes under the car, jack stand(s) are an
          > excellent choice for safety.
          >
          > DAS

        • pmb
          Message 4 of 27 , Jul 9, 2006
            My contention is that it is not necessary to raise the Prius for an oil change, and I stand by that (having BTDT several times now). Doug's notes on performing additional inspections which DO necessitate jacking are also completely correct and appropriate.

            Main point is that one does NOT need ramps or jacks just to change the oil - one more nice thing about owning a Prius!