RE: [toyota-prius] Bike rack

  • Paul Opitz
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 2 8:00 AM
      I put a Thule Easy Rider III on the back of mine and it seems to be working
      just fine.

      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 3 12:25 PM
        http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/product.asp?dept_id=8&sku=978

        (Trunk-mount back rack)

        >I put a Thule Easy Rider III on the back of mine and it seems to be working
        >just fine.

      • richard
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 4 8:54 PM
          According to the web page, this model is not recommended for the Prius. I
          know it seems to fit, but that page says not to use it.
          Anyone know what Thule rack is recommended?

          Richard
          > >I put a Thule Easy Rider III on the back of mine and it seems to be
          working
          > >just fine.

        • Phil Morton
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 6 5:17 PM

            At 8:54 PM -0700 4/4/01, richard wrote:
            >According to the web page, this model is not recommended for the Prius. I
            >know it seems to fit, but that page says not to use it.
            >Anyone know what Thule rack is recommended?

            I spoke to a Thule rep last week. They don't have anything official yet.
            Yakima does have a kit.

            -p
          • richard
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 6 5:41 PM
              I just now got a message about the Yakima rack from Gearonthego.com , but it
              seems to be a roof mount. Oh well. Too new for anyone to know the official
              word. Maybe I will just try the easy rider anyway. . .

              Richard
              > > >I put a Thule Easy Rider III on the back of mine and it seems to be
              working
              > > >just fine.
              >
              > At 8:54 PM -0700 4/4/01, richard wrote:
              > >According to the web page, this model is not recommended for the Prius.
              > >know it seems to fit, but that page says not to use it.
              > >Anyone know what Thule rack is recommended?
              >
              > I spoke to a Thule rep last week. They don't have anything official yet.
              > Yakima does have a kit.
              >
              > -p

            • Paul Opitz
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 6 9:28 PM
                I'll be going several hundred miles next week with the easy rider III on the
                trunk w/my mountain bike. I'll let you know if I notice any problems. I
                suppose it is possible that the weight could warp the trunk, but it really
                looks like most of the weight is distributed to the bumper just below the
                license plate.

                > I just now got a message about the Yakima rack from Gearonthego.com , but
                it
                > seems to be a roof mount. Oh well. Too new for anyone to know the
                official
                > word. Maybe I will just try the easy rider anyway. . .
                >

                > Richard

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • richard
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 7 12:09 PM
                  I realize the easy rider is probably OK. The web site saying "no" made me
                  nervous, because it implied that they had actually tested it to say "not
                  recommended". In fact, they probably are saying that because they have not
                  tested it yet.

                  Richard
                  > I'll be going several hundred miles next week with the easy rider III on
                  the
                  > trunk w/my mountain bike. I'll let you know if I notice any problems. I
                  > suppose it is possible that the weight could warp the trunk, but it really
                  > looks like most of the weight is distributed to the bumper just below the
                  > license plate.

                • ormanna
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 30, 2003
                    Is there a bike rack made specifically for the Prius? I am looking
                    one that
                    holds 2 bikes.
                  • Chuck Phillips
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 30, 2003
                      Not that I know of. There are a couple of threads discussing this inthe
                      archives.

                      I've had good experiences with a Coastal reciever and an Xport rack from
                      Performance. It's very quick to mount, and lives in the trunk when not
                      needed. the whole thing is probably slightly less aerodynamic than a roof
                      mount, but it's vastly more convenient and incurs no penalty when not in
                      use.

                      Chuck Phillips

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 30, 2003
                        There are any number of roof racks that will work. The Prius has relatively
                        standard places to connect. Thule, Yakima, etc., will all work using the
                        correct pillers.

                        Probably the best option for fuel economy is the receiver hitch setup.
                        Costaltech offers the hitch that is apparantly customized for the Prius.
                        From there you can either get a rack that goes into the receiver hitch or
                        you can get one of the platforms a rack attachment. I would recommend JC
                        Whitney for the platfom and rack. Sorry to the folks at costaltech, but
                        Whitneys platform is bigger and cheaper by about $50.

                        The last alternative is a trunk mount rack. I discourage this option
                        though. You are likely to scratch the heck out of your paint and it is
                        quite difficult to open the trunk when a bike is on the back.

                        Michael

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 30, 2003
                          Chuck Phillips replied:

                          > I've had good experiences with a Coastal reciever and an Xport rack from
                          > Performance. It's very quick to mount, and lives in the trunk when not
                          > needed.

                          I agree. We use the Swagman bike transporter, with good results...

                          http://www.swagman.net/bike.php

                          Paulie Davis
                          Los Angeles
                        • Thomas, Gregory B. (PS, NE, NonGE, Adecc
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 31, 2003
                            Is that the Swagman Mighty Rac? Any problems with angle and getting it over
                            the spoiler?