RE: [toyota-prius] Re: Booting up w/o engine starting?

  • Georgia Pritchett
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 2, 2001

      That really surprises me. Up until October, we could get a no ICE
      start anytime the car had been off less than 2 hours and anytime it
      was parked in the sun during the day. So I could get one if I ran
      out at lunch or even some evening (depending on where I was in our
      lot). Salinas runs a tad cooler than San Diego during the rainy
      season (it ain't winter by any stretch of my imagination :-).
      We were unusually sunny during August and September (October is
      our warmest month). Do you park in the sun?

      Georgia
    • burns_fisher@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 2, 2001
        I had a thought about this issue while reading my new New Car
        Features manual. The Prius has a catalytic converter to reduce
        emmissions, but that only works when it is hot. (This has been
        mentioned; that is one reason the ICE runs when cold, to get the
        converter working). The other part is that there is some other sort
        of chemical bed which the exhaust goes through that adsorbs
        hydrocarbons when cold. This adsorber collects the HC while
        everything is cold, and then when it is heated up, the hot exhaust
        running through it gradually removes the adsorbed HCs and runs them
        through the (now hot) catalytic converter.

        I'm wondering if the ICE may run when it is warm in order to be sure
        that the adsorber is purged so that just in case the next start is
        cold, there will be some adsorbtion capability left. I can't use
        this to explain all the cases of ICE-always-starts, but I don't
        understand how the computer keeps track of the HC load the adsorber
        has, and under what circumstance what happens. I do know there is a
        valve in the CC which determines whether the adsorber is in purge
        mode or not.

        Burns