Re: tire pressure, oil

  • Bill Powell
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2001
      --- In toyota-prius@y..., n57er@y... wrote:
      > After a long drive with our new (HURRAH!!) Prius I elected to have
      > the oil changed (after some 1584 miles). The dealership (not my
      > home, dealership, unfortunately) put in "5/30 Valvoline" oil
      > (according to a phone call with them only moments ago--the service
      > receipt lists only a stock number and no oil weight)
      You got lucky - the right grade AND a name brand! According to THE
      book, Prius prefers 5W30. It provides all the protection required and
      is significantly "lighter" than 10W30.
      My baby just got a dose of 10W30 "bulk" oil from the dealership - and
      by a non Prius tech, at that! I'm already seeing 5-10% mileage
      decrease and it just isn't as "peppy" till it is WELL warmed up. I'm
      beginning to think SERIOUSLY about 0W50 synthetic since the dealer
      charged Toyota $5.95 for the filter and $1.25 a quart for 5 quarts of
      "out of a 55 gal drum" oil and, get this, $37.80 in labor - to change
      oil and filter. Can you say RIP?

      > and they changed the tire pressures from the recommended 35 psi
      > front/33 psi rear to 32 psi all around.
      They actually ADDED pressure to mine! 44 front and 43.5 back.

      Have fun!
      Bill Powell
      (Prius: Just Drive It!)
    • gibsonc@fusion.gat.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 2, 2001
        --- In toyota-prius@y..., "Bill Powell" <whp@a...> wrote:
        > My baby just got a dose of 10W30 "bulk" oil from the dealership -
        > I'm already seeing 5-10% mileage
        > decrease and it just isn't as "peppy" till it is WELL warmed up.

        Had my 7500mi/6mo service done last Thursday and I let them talk me
        into using 10W30. The service writer said since it does not get cold
        in San Diego, that 5W30 was not needed. The manual says that 5W30
        must be used below 0F, and that it is "preferred" over the entire
        temperature range. I have not noticed a decrease in performance but
        will monitor my mileage closely. (will post results)

        I marked my tires with chalk (right-front, right-rear, etc) and sure
        enough they did not follow the rotation scheme shown in the manual.
        The service writer's explaination was that "we don't usually get to
        see the owners manual".

        And of course the tire pressure was incorrect -- 32psi all around.

        Needless to say, I'll find another dealer for my next service.

        Chuck
      • Shanahan00@home.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 2, 2001
          With thanks to the group, I finally stopped and checked the pressure
          in my tires - 32 all around fresh from the service department.
          Pumped them up to 40 and have already noted a smoother ride, easier
          rolling, better mileage.
          As to oil, it does say API SJ 5W-30 right on top of the oil filler
          cap in the engine compartment. You would think that the
          servicecritter would get a clue from that piece of information.
          I guess it all points to making NO assumptions, checking on service
          at every step, checking receipts to insure the right parts and
          specifications were used and requiring that service be performed by
          the Prius book whether the Toyota service department feels the need
          to read that book or not.