Traction Control?

  • frenchr@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31 11:38 PM
      Does the Prius really have traction control? Some sites say yes, and
      others don't mention it as a feature. If so, how does it work? Why
      is it necessary with such a low power vechicle?
    • Paul Opitz
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2001
        Yes, it does have traction control in a limited form. The computer monitors
        the speed of the front and rear wheels. If it detects that the front wheels
        are spinning faster than the rear wheels, it drops power. I believe that
        this is to provide better control on slick surfaces (but a few have reported
        that it makes it tough to start going uphill on a slick surface...but that
        is difficult in any case).

        It also is torque limited. "Such a low power vehicle" has a lot of
        electric-motor torque available from 0-400 rpm. It could easily shear the
        axle's out if full torque were delivered.