Re: [toyota-prius] Re: HV battery problem - fixed

    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 1, 2006
      When buying a regular car, does one normally enquire as to the cost of an
      engine, or a transmission? Just as likely to be needed as an HV battery for
      Prius...

      (I believe it's about $1100, and a BUNCH easier to install!)

      Pete

      Daniel Hyatt wrote:

      > Emmissions componenets are 150k miles, battery is 100k miles according to
      > the documentation I got when I bought it new 2 weeks ago.
      >
      > Did they mention how much a new battery is? Does anyone know?
      > Dan
    • Paul Lawler
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 1, 2006
        On May 31, 2006, at 22:28, Peter Blackford wrote:

        > When buying a regular car, does one normally enquire as to the cost of
        > an
        > engine, or a transmission? Just as likely to be needed as an HV
        > battery for
        > Prius...

        Probably best not to enquire as to the cost of a transmission on the
        Prius... last I heard the "power split device" was about $8,000
        installed... or 4 times the cost of a battery.
      • Jeffrey Denenberg
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 1, 2006
          --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, Paul Lawler <plawler@...> wrote:

          > On May 31, 2006, at 22:28, Peter Blackford wrote:
          >
          > > When buying a regular car, does one normally enquire as to the
          cost of
          > > an
          > > engine, or a transmission? Just as likely to be needed as an HV
          > > battery for
          > > Prius...
          >
          > Probably best not to enquire as to the cost of a transmission on the
          > Prius... last I heard the "power split device" was about $8,000
          > installed... or 4 times the cost of a battery.

          You can get a used "Transmission" for your Prius (thats the power
          split device and one of the electric motor-generators as a unit, which
          is why it is expensive) for about $800. Of course you still have to
          get it installed.

          As with any other car, don't always price new parts. A new
          transmission for a non-hybrid would set you back $5,000 to $8,000, but
          most people get one rebuilt for about $2000 or used for about $600
          (all installed prices).

          JeffD