Re: Cost for 60K maintenance on '03 prius?

  • Michael Pardee
    Message 1 of 14 , May 1 5:14 PM
      --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, Tom M <ca_sideliner@...> wrote:

      > Mike,
      >
      > Have you seen any recommendations for an occasional
      > fuel additive that will "scrub" the throttle body
      > during normal operation? I use to own a MB 220D and
      > would put ATF in the fuel occasionally to keep the
      > injectors clean. At one time I used the "special
      > additive" but one day when I was buying a bottle at a
      > truck stop one of the over-the-road drivers told me to
      > use ATF instead. He was right. It worked just as
      > good and was a lot cheaper.

      In theory, fuel additives can't reach the throttle body because they
      are injecting into the intake manifold.

      I also suggest not using ATF in a Prius - it works well enough in
      diesels because ATF and diesels are both oils. Techron is often
      recommended for gas engines, although I have been happy with a
      variety of injector cleaners. Of course, I've only had one car that
      ran badly without it....

      Mike
    • Tom M
      Message 2 of 14 , May 3 1:58 PM
        Thanks for the info.

        I wasn't proposing using ATF. It was just an example
        of how some additives are a rip off in their package
        when something else does just as good.

        --- Michael Pardee <flagmichael@...> wrote:

        > --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, Tom M
        > <ca_sideliner@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Mike,
        > >
        > > Have you seen any recommendations for an
        > occasional
        > > fuel additive that will "scrub" the throttle body
        > > during normal operation? I use to own a MB 220D
        > and
        > > would put ATF in the fuel occasionally to keep the
        > > injectors clean. At one time I used the "special
        > > additive" but one day when I was buying a bottle
        > at a
        > > truck stop one of the over-the-road drivers told
        > me to
        > > use ATF instead. He was right. It worked just as
        > > good and was a lot cheaper.
        > >
        > In theory, fuel additives can't reach the throttle
        > body because they
        > are injecting into the intake manifold.
        >
        > I also suggest not using ATF in a Prius - it works
        > well enough in
        > diesels because ATF and diesels are both oils.
        > Techron is often
        > recommended for gas engines, although I have been
        > happy with a
        > variety of injector cleaners. Of course, I've only
        > had one car that
        > ran badly without it....
        >
        > Mike
        >

        > To access group's website features such as Files,
        > Photos, Links, Database and Polls, go to

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • James
        Message 3 of 14 , May 9 5:35 AM
          I just called 4 dealers about my 2002's 60k maintenance.
          -$280
          -$325
          -$620
          -$750

          The last 2 were both DCH dealers. When I asked what they did they
          besides what's in the book, they included
          -rotate and balance tires
          -replace wipers
          -throttle body service
          -clean and adjust rear brakes (I forget whether they also replace
          brake fluid)
          -PCV valve

          (Actually, when I asked the $750 guy, he put me on hold for over 10
          minutes, I hung up & called back later, a different guy said they
          just did one for $670). I just replaced my wipers at Pep Boys, and
          was considering balancing tires at Firestone, but they're only a few
          dollars cheaper than the dealer.

          Someone here recommended throttle body service; any others
          recommendations, or just go with the Toyota schedule? (I know when
          they inspect 20 things, they are sure to find a few that need
          replacing).

          Thanks,
          Jim in Central NJ
          2002 Silver, almost 60K

          --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "Michelle Vadeboncoeur"
          <mrv@...> wrote:

          > --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "Meghan Murphy" <smegmurf@>
          wrote:

          > > Hi,
          > > I'm going for my 60K maintenance on an 03 Prius. Edmunds.com
          says it's
          > > only supposed to cost $200 but I've called several shops and the
          > > lowest estimate is $366 (from the dealership!!!!).
          > >
          > > Can someone tell me how much they paid?
          >
          > If you called around, you probably got very different pricing, as
          each
          > dealer has different things that they like to include as part of
          that
          > 60,000 mile service...
          >
          > In Nov. I called around for a 60k service and alignment on my 2001
          (past by time,
          > still not near it by mileage), and posted the pricing I found here:

        • Charley & Peggy Robinson
          Message 4 of 14 , May 9 9:25 AM
            --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "James" <dadworld@...> wrote:

            > The last 2 were both DCH dealers. When I asked what they did they
            > besides what's in the book, they included
            > -rotate and balance tires
            > -replace wipers
            > -throttle body service
            > -clean and adjust rear brakes (I forget whether they also replace
            > brake fluid)
            > -PCV valve

            Tire rotation is no big deal and if the car is running smoothly with
            no abnormal wear indications rebalancing is not necessary.

            Anyone can replace the wipers.

            Dunno about this Throttle Body service. My idea is that if the car
            is running normally, including gas mileage, leave it alone. "If it
            ain't broke, don't fix it." One can have a look at it by pulling off
            the filter housing.

            Dunno about the '03 but on my '04 the rear brakes are self
            adjusting. You just back it up and come to a full stop several times.
            As to cleaning, you can buy a can of brake parts cleaner and spray the
            mechanisms down after you pull the drums off. They come right off
            after the wheel is removed. If the shoes aren't worn thin and
            everything's free and not cracked, ya stick the drums back on and swap
            the wheels.

            PCV valve? My understanding is that the classic and the 2G engines
            are virtually identical. If my '04 has a PCV valve I sure can't find
            it. I also come up empty on a "pcv valve" search of my ESM CD. If
            brake fluid isn't in the sched maint book at 60K, forget it.

            I guess it all depends on how mechanically inclined an owner is and
            whether there's a place to work on the car. Just all seems common
            sensical to me.

            CR
          • ronmc5@sbcglobal.net
            Message 5 of 14 , May 9 10:32 AM
              The auto adjusting feature of the rear brakes works a bit differently than
              described. Stoping in a forward direction cocks the adjusting lever, and
              stopping in a reverse direction actually does the adjustment. Multiple
              reverse stops with no forward stops just heats up the brakes. Normal driving
              is probably sufficient to do the self adjustment. They do need to pull the
              drums to check the brake linings, so they should adjust them when the drums
              are put back on. They might have had to release a bit of the adjustment to
              get the drums off in the first place. That's why I like disk brakes, as the
              pads can usually be checked just by removing the tires and wheels during
              tire rotation.

              As for throttle body service, I believe they clean the airflow sensor which
              gets dirty in spite of the air cleaner over long periods of time. I once had
              a code that was cured by cleaning the airflow sensor.

              Ron

              >> The last 2 were both DCH dealers. When I asked what they did they
              >> besides what's in the book, they included
              >> -rotate and balance tires
              >> -replace wipers
              >> -throttle body service
              >> -clean and adjust rear brakes (I forget whether they also replace
              >> brake fluid)
              >> -PCV valve
              >>

              > Tire rotation is no big deal and if the car is running smoothly with
              > no abnormal wear indications rebalancing is not necessary.
              >
              > Anyone can replace the wipers.
              >
              > Dunno about this Throttle Body service. My idea is that if the car
              > is running normally, including gas mileage, leave it alone. "If it
              > ain't broke, don't fix it." One can have a look at it by pulling off
              > the filter housing.
              >
              > Dunno about the '03 but on my '04 the rear brakes are self
              > adjusting. You just back it up and come to a full stop several times.
              > As to cleaning, you can buy a can of brake parts cleaner and spray the
              > mechanisms down after you pull the drums off. They come right off
              > after the wheel is removed. If the shoes aren't worn thin and
              > everything's free and not cracked, ya stick the drums back on and swap
              > the wheels.
              >
              > PCV valve? My understanding is that the classic and the 2G engines
              > are virtually identical. If my '04 has a PCV valve I sure can't find
              > it. I also come up empty on a "pcv valve" search of my ESM CD. If
              > brake fluid isn't in the sched maint book at 60K, forget it.
              >
              > I guess it all depends on how mechanically inclined an owner is and
              > whether there's a place to work on the car. Just all seems common
              > sensical to me.
              >
              > CR
              >

              > To access group's website features such as Files, Photos, Links, Database
              > and Polls, go to

            • Doug Schaefer
              Message 6 of 14 , May 9 10:45 AM
                --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "Charley & Peggy Robinson"
                <ccrobins@...> wrote:
                > Dunno about the '03 but on my '04 the rear brakes are self
                > adjusting. You just back it up and come to a full stop several
                > times...

                Yes the classic Prius are the same. But any of these self-adjusters
                can get sticky. Part of the DIY toolkit is a wet fingertip to test
                the rear drums after a few miles of driving. If they are not hot,
                your shoes are not dragging.

                Removing the rear brake drums can be a little tricky. Of course if
                the parking brakes are set it's impossible, but that's not what I
                mean. On the drum (wheel off) you will see a couple of threaded
                holes. They are metric threaded, I forget the numbers, but the idea
                is you run a couple of bolts into them and displace the drum off.

                > PCV valve? My understanding is that the classic and the 2G
                > engines are virtually identical. If my '04 has a PCV valve I
                > sure can't find it...

                Its atop the valve cover, but fairly well hidden. Unless the car has
                been "over-oiled" (farily common in Prius) it should be fine. The
                part costs something like $8. I am on the original at 87k miles.

                DAS
              • Charley & Peggy Robinson
                Message 7 of 14 , May 9 12:30 PM
                  --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Schaefer"
                  <DougSchaefer@...> wrote:

                  > --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "Charley & Peggy Robinson"
                  > <ccrobins@> wrote:
                  > > Dunno about the '03 but on my '04 the rear brakes are self
                  > > adjusting. You just back it up and come to a full stop several
                  > > times...
                  >
                  > Yes the classic Prius are the same. But any of these self-adjusters
                  > can get sticky.

                  If you'd read on you'd have seen that I addressed that.

                  Part of the DIY toolkit is a wet fingertip to test
                  > the rear drums after a few miles of driving. If they are not hot,
                  > your shoes are not dragging.

                  The shoes on my '04 don't drag, even afer going thru the self
                  adjusting procedure. They aren't supposed to; in the ESM there's a
                  clearance figure. Perish the thought of wasting energy heating up the
                  shoes. I don't let them drag on my Nissan Pickup, either.

                  > Removing the rear brake drums can be a little tricky. Of course if
                  > the parking brakes are set it's impossible, but that's not what I
                  > mean. On the drum (wheel off) you will see a couple of threaded
                  > holes. They are metric threaded, I forget the numbers, but the idea
                  > is you run a couple of bolts into them and displace the drum off.

                  As I said, on my '04 they pop right off. Same for my acove
                  mentioned P/U. Part of the reason is that there isn't an interference
                  fit. Another part is that I remove them each time I rotate the tires.
                  Yet another part is that I use antisieze on the hubs when I put them
                  back on. YMMV.

                  > > PCV valve? My understanding is that the classic and the 2G
                  > > engines are virtually identical. If my '04 has a PCV valve I
                  > > sure can't find it...
                  >
                  > Its atop the valve cover, but fairly well hidden.

                  I'll look again, thanks. Funny thing is the "Prius Tech" at my
                  dealership didn't know.....

                  Unless the car has
                  > been "over-oiled" (farily common in Prius) it should be fine.

                  Better to check it, it's easy.

                  >The part costs something like $8. I am on the original at 87k miles.

                  If you haven't checked it periodically, you ought to have.

                  > DAS

                  CR