Re: [toyota-prius] Temp Gauge

  • Tom M
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 30, 2006
      No... What would it tell you? The ICE doesn't run
      all the time (like the Honda hybrids).

      --- deloreshusband <deloreshusband@...> wrote:

      > Why isn't there an engine temp gauge in car ?????
      >

      > To access group's website features such as Files,
      > Photos, Links, Database and Polls, go to

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Tom M
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 30, 2006
        I suspect that if it did have a temp gauge it would
        result in an unending number of telephone calls and
        service issues because of the wider/wilder swings one
        would see on the gauge. In the winter it would
        probably remain fairly constant but in the summer
        where you aren't depending on the ICE to keep maintain
        cabin temp the coolant temp could be all over the
        place.

        --- Jon Wilson <jonswilson@...> wrote:

        > That's a feature of luxury cars; they have
        > "too-late" warning lights instead
        > of gauges.
        >
        > Jon

      • JerryW
        Message 3 of 12 , May 1, 2006
          On 01/05/06, Jon Wilson <jonswilson@...> wrote:

          > That's a feature of luxury cars; they have "too-late" warning lights
          > instead
          > of gauges.

          Luxury cars? The cheaper the car, the fewer gauges it has. I posted this
          earlier to another group, on a similar topic:

          My father was always unhappy about the disappearing gauge syndrome. In his
          day every car would have an ammeter, a coolant temperature gauge, oil temp.
          and sometimes oil pressure etc., and more I've forgotten, but I can't
          remember the last car I had that possessed any of these. The Mercedes and
          the Subaru didn't. The Elan did, I think, but that's different.

          I guess warning lights are cheaper than gauges, but I think the main reason
          is that cars are fantastically more reliable these days. They tend to look
          after themselves and most owners are no longer capable of interpreting or
          acting on the information that such gauges would provide, anyway. Not least
          in the Prius, where you have no control to speak of over the engine anyway.

          In summary: if 95% of owners don't understand how the car works, why confuse
          them by telling them what's going on?

          Regards

          Jerry

          1,268 prius owners on the Frapper map! Including you?
          http://www.frappr.com/priusowners

        • Michael Pardee
          Message 4 of 12 , May 1, 2006
            --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "deloreshusband"
            <deloreshusband@...> wrote:

            > Why isn't there an engine temp gauge in car ?????

            The same question has been asked about oil pressure and voltage
            (presumably the 12 volt bus, since the HV battery voltage can be
            inferred from the state-of-charge display).

            Except for load-hauling and sport vehicles, guages for oil pressure
            and engine temperature are obsolete. Modern engines are much better
            designed than the ones we grew up with. Overheating was a fact of
            life even into the '80s (remember when the first coolant recovery
            systems were introduced?), and was often treated by adding water
            from a hose to the radiator. Now the engine doesn't overheat in
            passenger service unless something has gone wrong, and adding tap
            water is enough to make mechanics cringe in horror.

            In my experience, people who don't maintain their cars properly
            don't watch guages, either.

            Mike
          • Michael Pardee
            Message 5 of 12 , May 1, 2006
              --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, JerryW <jerrywh@...> wrote:

              > I guess warning lights are cheaper than gauges, but I think the
              main reason
              > is that cars are fantastically more reliable these days. They tend
              to look
              > after themselves and most owners are no longer capable of
              interpreting or
              > acting on the information that such gauges would provide, anyway.
              Not least
              > in the Prius, where you have no control to speak of over the
              engine anyway.

              Very well put, Jerry. Only recently have I thought about the number
              of changes in the way we operate and maintain cars. Alternators came
              up in another forum, and it occurred to me that "in our day"
              alternators could put out their rated 35A forever but that now they
              cook if we demand their 60-90A rating for more than a minute or two.

              Mike
            • JerryW
              Message 6 of 12 , May 1, 2006
                On 01/05/06, Michael Pardee <flagmichael@...> wrote:

                > Very well put, Jerry. Only recently have I thought about the number
                > of changes in the way we operate and maintain cars. Alternators came
                > up in another forum, and it occurred to me that "in our day"
                > alternators could put out their rated 35A forever but that now they
                > cook if we demand their 60-90A rating for more than a minute or two.

                Hey, are you saying dynamos are losing ground here? My father would say half
                the point of cranking the engine (with the starting handle, of course) was
                to perk up the dynamo ;-)

                Seriously, we possibly don't appreciate how much cars have changed since the
                1950s and 1960s, not to mention before that. My father changed the back axle
                (you know, the one the drive shaft connected to) on more than one of our
                cars and thought nothing of taking the head off to give the car a decoke.
                And he was a bank manager, not an engineer. Nowadays we tend to accidentally
                put petrol in diesel cars, or vice versa, or coolant in the oil thingy, and
                then complain when it is destroyed, such has our technical knowledge
                evaporated. "Axle" means "Axle Rose" ...

                On the upside, as I said before, cars really are amazingly reliable,
                compared to then. Really.

                Regards

                Jerry

                1,269 prius owners on the Frapper map! Including you?
                http://www.frappr.com/priusowners

              • M.S. Dickerson
                Message 7 of 12 , May 1, 2006
                  Add some other missing guages too:

                  why not an oil pressure guage?
                  oil temp guage?
                  water temp guage?
                  exhaust gas temp guage?

                  I think what is needed is the same gauging as in most aircraft.

                  Of course the base price is then @$250,000 versus @$21,000....

                  Steve d
                  02 super white 109100 miles - has a tachometer installed too.

                  <deloreshusband@...> wrote:

                  > Why isn't there an engine temp gauge in car ?????

                • Lee Hart
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 1, 2006
                    Tom M wrote:
                    > I suspect that if it did have a temp gauge it would result in an
                    > unending number of telephone calls and service issues because of
                    > the wider/wilder swings one would see on the gauge. In the winter
                    > it would probably remain fairly constant but in the summer where
                    > you aren't depending on the ICE to keep maintain cabin temp the
                    > coolant temp could be all over the place.

                    My 2002 VW Eurovan has a temperature gauge. After a few minutes warmup,
                    it sits rock solid at 190 deg.F, summer or winter.

                    It's computer-controlled of course. It turns out that the early vans had
                    an honest gauge that showed the real engine temperature. Customers *did*
                    complain about it being high or low due to weather, pulling trailers,
                    etc. So VW reprogrammed the computer to display "190" no matter what,
                    unless the temperature went outside the band that they considered
                    normal.

                    My parents have a Pontiac with factory mpg display. It shows wonderful
                    mileage; often over 30 mpg. They believe it. But when I drove the car on
                    a trip and compared miles driven to gallons used, I found it overstates
                    the case by 20% (30mpg displayed was 25mpg actual).

                    Luckily, Toyota doesn't seem to have succumbed to lying with gauges, or
                    we really WOULD see EPA rated mpg on the display!
                    --
                    Ring the bells that still can ring
                    Forget the perfect offering