Re: [toyota-prius] Prius sighting, NY Times Auto Section

  • mikes.email@juno.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2006
      Thanks Larry, but...

      NY & LA Times sites both want us to register just to read their stuff.
      So as they say in NYC; "Fa-get-abatdit". It's so dumb that they do that.
      I mean what's next? No Sir, you must first register before I can sell
      you a copy of the NYT paper. LOL!

      They already get our I.P. addresses and can tell where we're reading it
      from, so they don't need more info than that.

      If you post the article here, then I'll be happy to read it. All you
      have to do is include this at the bottom to be legal:

      In accordance with Title 17 U. S. C. Section 107, any copyrighted work in
      this message is distributed under fair use without profit or payment to
      those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included
      information for nonprofit research and educational purposes only.[Ref.
      http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml%5d

      Mike 05 #6

      On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 19:57:56 -0500 "Larry Finch" <finches@...>
      writes:
      > The Auto section of the NY Times for Sunday, April 2 is all about
      > hybrids, including comparisons of the Honda Accord Hybrid and the
      > Camry Hybrid, and an article about pluggable hybrids.
      > www.nytimes.com.
      >
      > Larry
    • Tom M
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 2, 2006
        Mike,

        To each his own but, IMO online registration to both
        the NY Times and LA Times (as far as I can tell)
        doesn't result in spam. I am registered at both and
        unless I specifically opt into one of their
        promotional email distribution lists I get nothing
        (except their on-page adverts). I will also say that
        my experience has been that once I opt out of a list
        the distribution stops within about 2 days.

        --- mikes.email@... wrote:

        > Thanks Larry, but...
        >
        > NY & LA Times sites both want us to register just to
        > read their stuff.
        > So as they say in NYC; "Fa-get-abatdit". It's so
        > dumb that they do that.
        > I mean what's next? No Sir, you must first
        > register before I can sell
        > you a copy of the NYT paper. LOL!
        >
        > They already get our I.P. addresses and can tell
        > where we're reading it
        > from, so they don't need more info than that.
        >
        > If you post the article here, then I'll be happy to
        > read it. All you
        > have to do is include this at the bottom to be
        > legal:
        >
        > In accordance with Title 17 U. S. C. Section 107,
        > any copyrighted work in
        > this message is distributed under fair use without
        > profit or payment to
        > those who have expressed a prior interest in
        > receiving the included
        > information for nonprofit research and educational
        > purposes only.[Ref.
        > http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml%5d
        >

        > Mike 05 #6
        >
        > On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 19:57:56 -0500 "Larry Finch"
        > <finches@...>
        > writes:
        > > The Auto section of the NY Times for Sunday, April
        > 2 is all about
        > > hybrids, including comparisons of the Honda Accord
        > Hybrid and the
        > > Camry Hybrid, and an article about pluggable
        > hybrids.
        > > www.nytimes.com.
        > >
        > > Larry
        >

        > To access group's website features such as Files,
        > Photos, Links, Database and Polls, go to

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Larry Finch
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 3, 2006
          On 4/2/06, mikes.email@... <mikes.email@...> wrote:
          > Thanks Larry, but...
          >
          > NY & LA Times sites both want us to register just to read their stuff.
          > So as they say in NYC; "Fa-get-abatdit". It's so dumb that they do that.
          > I mean what's next? No Sir, you must first register before I can sell
          > you a copy of the NYT paper. LOL!
          >
          > They already get our I.P. addresses and can tell where we're reading it
          > from, so they don't need more info than that.
          >
          > If you post the article here, then I'll be happy to read it. All you
          > have to do is include this at the bottom to be legal:

          I used to post articles, but I eventually concluded that other folks
          are taking advantage of my time, my good will, and the fact that I
          went to the trouble of registering. As the site does not cost anything
          to register, anyone who really wants to read this (and other) articles
          can take the couple of minutes to register.

          "Who will help me eat the bread," said the Little Red Hen.

          best,

          Larry

          --
          Larry Finch

          N 40° 53' 47"
          W 74° 03' 56"
        • JerryW
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 3, 2006
            On 03/04/06, Larry Finch <finches@...> wrote:

            > I used to post articles, but I eventually concluded that other folks
            > are taking advantage of my time, my good will, and the fact that I
            > went to the trouble of registering. As the site does not cost anything
            > to register, anyone who really wants to read this (and other) articles
            > can take the couple of minutes to register.

            Each to their own, I guess. If we all had your attitude, this would be a
            poor site indeed.

            I always post articles I find, if readers would be forced to register to
            read it. I can think of no conceivable reason why the NYT or LAT or other
            foreign sites would benefit from having my personal details, at least none
            that would not be to my detriment. I never register at overseas sites, and
            only at sites here in the UK if I really have to...

            Regards

            Jerry

            1,182 prius owners on the Frapper map! Including you?
            http://www.frappr.com/priusowners

          • Scott Snadow
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 3, 2006
              mikes.email@... wrote:
              > NY & LA Times sites both want us to register just to read their stuff.
              > So as they say in NYC; "Fa-get-abatdit". It's so dumb that they do that.

              There's always http://www.BugMeNot.com/ -- you'll notice that the NY
              Times and LA Times are on their "most popular" list.

              Scott
            • kmbaileyus
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 3, 2006
                --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, Scott Snadow <scott@...> wrote:

                > mikes.email@... wrote:
                > > NY & LA Times sites both want us to register just to read their
                stuff.
                > > So as they say in NYC; "Fa-get-abatdit". It's so dumb that they do
                that.

                > There's always http://www.BugMeNot.com/ -- you'll notice that the NY
                > Times and LA Times are on their "most popular" list.
                >
                > Scott

                I just accessed both NY Times articles without registering.
              • kmbaileyus
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 3, 2006
                  --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "kmbaileyus" <kbailey@...> wrote:

                  > --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, Scott Snadow <scott@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > mikes.email@ wrote:
                  > > > NY & LA Times sites both want us to register just to read their
                  > stuff.
                  > > > So as they say in NYC; "Fa-get-abatdit". It's so dumb that
                  they do
                  > that.
                  > > >
                  > > There's always http://www.BugMeNot.com/ -- you'll notice that the
                  NY
                  > > Times and LA Times are on their "most popular" list.
                  > >
                  > > Scott
                  > >

                  > I just accessed both NY Times articles without registering.

                  And then accessing the same articles again, it wanted me to register.
                  So I did! Why in the world does anyone believe that you have to give
                  real answers to these questions? Why does anyone at NY Times or any
                  other site believe that they are _getting_ real answers?
                • knowonelse@sbcglobal.net
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 3, 2006
                    Try http://bugmenot.com/ to get around the registration stuff.

                    JeffC Blue 2006