Re: [toyota-prius] battery life

  • K. B. Eric Riddle
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2006
      No body knows...they are not old enough yet.

      fjs09 <fjs09@...> wrote: I am looking at the 2006 Prius. What is the life of the batteries?

      K. B. Eric Riddle

    • Ed & Ruth Young
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2006
        fjs09 <fjs09@...> wrote: I am looking at the 2006 Prius. What is the life of the batteries?

        K. B. Eric Riddle wrote: No body knows...they are not old enough yet.

        And there are several people here on this list with more than 100,000 miles!

        Ed

      • Doug Schaefer
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1, 2006
          --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, Ed & Ruth Young
          <lotusracer@m...> wrote:
          > And there are several people here on this list with more than
          100,000 miles!

          I am trying to pull together all the internet-posted info on Prius HV
          battery problems, now between 10 and 15, and not all are what I would
          call "certain". This is out of some 52,000 NHW11 Prius sold in the
          US. I have no doubt that there are others, but Toyota is not obliged
          to tell. But for purpose of discussion it may be 1 per thousand of
          these has been involved in a vehicle problem in "the early years".
          Seems likely to me that the preemptive battery resealing
          undertaken by Toyota prevented this number from being larger.

          The above pertains to NHW11. The newer NHW20 model has
          a substantial battery redesign and a tweaked battery management
          program. With no reports yet (that I have seen) of that battery
          failing, there is not much more to say, so far.

          Scattered reports of some sort of failure in the transmission
          suggest it may be a comparable matter in terms of incidence rate.
          IMO neither of these is particularly damning for hybrid vehicles, and
          might reasonably be compared to failure rates of conventional
          automatic transmissions. Whatever those are...

          DAS
        • shrubnews@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 1, 2006
            In a message dated 2/1/2006 12:58:54 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            DougSchaefer@... writes:

            Scattered reports of some sort of failure in the transmission
            suggest it may be a comparable matter in terms of incidence rate.
            IMO neither of these is particularly damning for hybrid vehicles, and
            might reasonably be compared to failure rates of conventional
            automatic transmissions. Whatever those are...
            =======================================

            The failure rates for automatic transmissions must be quite high; after all,
            there are thousands of AAmco shops to keep open!

            I've had transmission failures in my past 2 cars, so that's a 100% failure
            rate. One was under warranty, and had a retail cost of $6,000 new; the other
            was NOT, and cost me $3,000 for a rebuilt, with only a 12 month warranty.

            I also had a transmission failure 5 cars back, in a Peugeot 505. $4,000 in
            warranty, but that was 20 years ago.

            Then there were my 2 Mazda RX-7's with Wankel engines; both blew engines
            (under warranty) during their lifetime. What was interesting is that a Wankel
            can continue to operate with one demolished rotor.

            Larry
          • Doug Schaefer
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 1, 2006
              --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, shrubnews@... wrote:
              > The failure rates for automatic transmissions must be quite high;
              > after all, there are thousands of AAmco shops to keep open!...

              AA beep beep MCO web site says (proudly) they have serviced 20 million
              vehicles since 1963. So my quick&dirty estimate is:

              100 million vehicles in fleet, 20% failure in 40 years, 50 per thousand
              vehicles per year. One may immediately appreciate the shortcomings in
              this approach, but Prius at 1 per thousand has a ways to go.

              DAS