Re: [toyota-prius] Why does my 2005 prius not give me more than 45 mpg?

  • Donna McKinney
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2006
      Drive 55 and coast down hills

      On Sun, 01 Jan 2006, Jiby Manuel wrote...

      >I have covered over 10,000 miles since I bought my prius in Apr 2005.
      >the most I could get out of it was 45 mpg while driving on the
      >freeways in CA. I now get only 36 mpg driving on the virginia roads.
      >What can I do to get the most out of the prius.
      >
      >Any tips will be appreciated.
      >

      >To access group's website features such as Files, Photos, Links,
      Database and Polls, go to
      >http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toyota-prius
      >, Photos, Links, Database and Polls, go to
      >http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toyota-prius
      >
      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Perry, James
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 2, 2006
        I've seen this comment about the gas motor turning off when the speed is
        below 42 mph. Is that supposedly true for all years? I don't think this
        happens with my '05. In fact, the only time I noticed that the gas
        engine was not operating was when I was part of a very slow (~15 mph)
        funeral procession. Instead what I have noticed is that there seems to
        be a periodic "supplementing" of the gas engine with the electric motor,
        as shown on the MFD.

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 2, 2006
          James,
          My '05 regularly spares using the ICE when fully warmed up (infrequently here in Nebraska this time of year) or when traveling below 42 mph. I've had mine since Aug 31, and when the weather is warmer, I can achieve over 99.9 mpg on two of four circuits in the route to work. Likewise, on the return home, one circuit regularly turns in at 80 mpg, and the other three in the 50-55 mpg range. Really keeps the animals on their toes at my house...particularly when backing out of the garage.

          "Perry, James" <jperry@...> wrote:
          I've seen this comment about the gas motor turning off when the speed is
          below 42 mph. Is that supposedly true for all years? I don't think this
          happens with my '05.

          K. B. Eric Riddle