Re: [toyota-prius] test drove a prius yesterday

  • Paul Lawler
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 31, 2005
      On 12/31/05, okeefe1955@... <okeefe1955@...> wrote:

      > How do i open one door without opening all the rest of them?
      > I can see how I open the driver's door--there is a key hole so I can do it
      > with a key... but none of the other four doors seem to have anyway to open any
      > of them without all the other doors opening too. The salesman didn't have a
      > clue either

      It is not possible to do what you want on the Prius. In all unlock
      modes grabbing the handle of the passenger door will unlock all doors.
      Here are your three choices:

      1. Driver's door unlocking mode: If you
      perform smart unlocking operation on
      the driver's door, it will unlock. Performing
      unlocking operation on the
      front passenger's door or back door
      will unlock all the doors.

      2. All doors unlocking mode: Performing
      smart unlocking operation on either
      front door or back door will unlock all
      the doors.

      3. Single door unlocking mode: The
      driver's door or back door on which
      you perform smart unlocking operation
      will unlock. However, performing unlocking
      operation on the front passenger's
      door will unlock all the doors.
    • JerryW
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 1, 2006
        On 01/01/06, Paul Lawler <plawler@...> wrote:

        > On 12/31/05, okeefe1955@... <okeefe1955@...> wrote:
        >
        > > How do i open one door without opening all the rest of them?
        > > I can see how I open the driver's door--there is a key hole so I can do
        > it
        > > with a key... but none of the other four doors seem to have anyway to
        > open any
        > > of them without all the other doors opening too. The salesman didn't
        > have a
        > > clue either
        >
        > It is not possible to do what you want on the Prius.

        How about:

        1. get inside and lock the doors
        2. reach over and open whichever door they want to look in

        or alternatively

        1. remove all valuables from car
        2. let them get on with it..

        or

        1. ask all of them except one to step back from the car..
        2. unlock

        or

        1. take a friend with you

        I don't think any modern car at all, in Europe anyway, will allow you to
        open each door from the outside while the others are locked.. you (Kathleen)
        are going to have to think a bit wider..

        Regards

        Jerry

        Are you a Prius owner?
        Put yourself on the MAP!
        http://www.frappr.com/priusowners

      • K. B. Eric Riddle
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 1, 2006
          Sounds then, to me, like you need to buy something that parts AND service are available on in the Republic. Nissan Tsuru or a Micra, or a VW Lupo comes to mind, not a Prius...even waiting for the Yaris would make more sence. (The Yaris is already being sold in Mexico, as is the Nissan Micra, the Tsuru is a 1989-1994 Nissan Sentra sold in the US.) Toyota just started selling cars in Mexico a short time ago, relatively speaking while current model Nissan Sentras and most Volkswagen New Beetles (as well as Chrysler PT Cruisers-) are built there, sold here, as well as most GM 6 cylinder engines. Even certain Ford Focus are built in Hermisilllo.
          Given all that, none of the above mentioned vehicles will do what you have asked us regarding the Prius.
          I currently own a Nissan Sentra and can vouch for its reliability and headroom (in addition to the Maxima). I have had the (mis)fortune of renting a PT Cruiser and it too has adequate headroom. Again, I would think long and hard about pruchasing a vehicle as technically advanced as the Prius that is not serviceable in this particular part of the world. Towing may be cheap, but trying to find a flatbed may be impossible...and then there is the question about warranty.

          OKeefe1955@... wrote: Mexico is my second home. :-)
          I will be living down there again in 2 1/2 years.
          So you see the lock situation is of utmost importance to me.
          Thank you for your input, though.

          Kathleen

          K. B. Eric Riddle

          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 1, 2006
            Heck, that 'door by door' unlocking can't even be done with MANUAL locks, unless you have someone IN the car doing it (as you also could with Prius, as previously suggested). Remember, rear doors don't come with keyholes on ANY car in the last several decades, and perhaps not before that either.

            Pete (when in Mexico, RENT a local car, if you MUST drive at all...)

          • okeefe1955@aol.com
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 1, 2006
              In a message dated 1/1/2006 5:24:04 AM Central Standard Time,
              riddlere@... writes:

[...]

              so true. Though in all the years and times I have been to mexico... I have
              never had even a minor breakdown... not even a flat tire.
              You would be surprised though at my friends that have... and I tell you,
              those people there can manage to fix anything!
              I am sticking to my toyota tundra for now!
              Thanks!
              Kathleen

            • okeefe1955@aol.com
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 1, 2006
                In a message dated 1/1/2006 7:59:22 AM Central Standard Time,
                priuspete@... writes:

                Heck, that 'door by door' unlocking can't even be done with MANUAL locks,
                unless you have someone IN the car doing it (as you also could with Prius, as
                previously suggested). Remember, rear doors don't come with keyholes on ANY
                car in the last several decades, and perhaps not before that either.

                Pete (when in Mexico, RENT a local car, if you MUST drive at all...)

                All that is needed is a lock on the front passenger side and a lock on the
                back hatchback door which most cars have.
                When the federales have searched the front, one reaches through and unlocks
                the back seat and locks the front. It can be done at the same time. You are
                right there on that side so don't need a lockhole for the back seat.
                Then after that, you lock the back. Then you go around and unlock the hatch.
                When finished lock it back.
                Move around to the other side, unlock the front passenger side
                finished, while still inside that door, unlock the back passenger while
                locking the front.
                search the back, lock it up and done.
                So all that is needed in a five door is 3 locks.
                Rentals in Mexico are VERY expensive. I have had no trouble driving in
                mexico.
                I wrote to Prius about the locking problem and got a VERY nice personal
                reply back telling me that that was something they will be looking into for the
                future that others have mentioned it. WOOHOO toyota so rocks!
                Kathleen
                (still driving my tundra for now)

              • knowonelse@sbcglobal.net
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 1, 2006
                  I don't have a Prius, yet, but...

                  Can you
                  1) unlock all doors.
                  2) Open only the one desired.
                  3) Lock all doors (leaving the one open)

                  I don't know what would happen, but it might
                  do the trick. How the electronic locks behave
                  with a door left open is the question.

                  Jeff

                • K. B. Eric Riddle
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 2, 2006
                    It will lock with door open, adn unlock when you close it. Is that the point?

                    "knowonelse@..." <knowonelse@...> wrote: I don't have a Prius, yet, but...

                    Can you
                    1) unlock all doors.
                    2) Open only the one desired.
                    3) Lock all doors (leaving the one open)

                    I don't know what would happen, but it might
                    do the trick. How the electronic locks behave
                    with a door left open is the question.

                    Jeff

                    To access group's website features such as Files, Photos, Links, Database and Polls, go to
                    http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toyota-prius
                    , Photos, Links, Database and Polls, go to
                    http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toyota-prius

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    K. B. Eric Riddle

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 2, 2006
                      Yes, this allows the original poster to be able to have one
                      door open with the other doors locked to prevent unwanted
                      "inspection" by Federales not under her observation as per
                      the original intent. Just backwards. Instead of opening each
                      door by key when desired, the OP needs to unlock all, open
                      one, lock all.

                      Jeff