gas gauge

  • Larry Nelson
    Message 1 of 28 , Nov 2, 2005
      I may have a new one for ya'll...........a couple of days ago, that blasted last bar on the gas guage started blinking.......I had driven only 360 miles on that tank of gas, so I suspected that something may be wrong........I stopped at one of the gas stations I frequently use, set the gas nozzle on the slowest setting as per usual, and it took only 4.9 gallons to fill it up. OK, so the sensor in the tank filler had to be wrong.......so, I tried to put more gas in. It wouldn't take any more.........As I drove away and watched the bars on the gas guage move.....it moved ok, but only to the 1/2 tank mark....I called the dealer and talked to the service manager at Marietta Toyota.......He didn't have a clue as to what the problem may be, but told me to bring it in, that almost surely the gas guage is defective..............more to come................Larry

    • Ron Heavner
      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 12, 2006
        Does anyone else have a gas gauge that reads lower than actual? We
        just took delivery of a 2005 Prius. After a few days of driving I
        could not wait to fill up to check gas mileage and the car took less
        than 4 gallons even though the gauge was registering just over half a
        tank. The second tank I ran down to about half and it took 5 gallons
        to fill. Last night the tank appeared near empty and it still took
        just over 7 gallons to fill. While appearing near empty it had 5
        gallons left in the tank! Is this normal for the Prius?

        2005 Seaside Pearl AKA Misty Package 4 850 miles 47 mpg!
      • K. B. Eric Riddle
        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 12, 2006
          The fuel indicator bar is a mechanical WAG at what is actually in the bladder.
          It is about as accurate as a slingshot on a windy day. Watch miles driven and
          use the guage to estimate need to refuel. I still had two bars once, decided to
          gas up, took 10.5 gallons. Not advisable to run out...

          Ron Heavner <home2brewpgh@...> wrote:
          Does anyone else have a gas gauge that reads lower than actual? We
          just took delivery of a 2005 Prius. After a few days of driving I
          could not wait to fill up to check gas mileage and the car took less
          than 4 gallons even though the gauge was registering just over half a
          tank. The second tank I ran down to about half and it took 5 gallons
          to fill. Last night the tank appeared near empty and it still took
          just over 7 gallons to fill. While appearing near empty it had 5
          gallons left in the tank! Is this normal for the Prius?

          2005 Seaside Pearl AKA Misty Package 4 850 miles 47 mpg!

          To access group's website features such as Files, Photos, Links, Database and Polls, go to
          http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toyota-prius
          , Photos, Links, Database and Polls, go to
          http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toyota-prius

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          K. B. Eric Riddle

        • Jon Wilson
          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 12, 2006
            Ron,
            My 2005 Seaside Pearl has a very inaccurate, nonlinear gas gauge. I use the
            mpg and miles indications. When the miles (reset at last fill) is about ten
            times the mpg, I figure I have used about 10 gallons; better fill up *soon.*

            Actually, I try to fill up when gauge indicates about half full. It may take
            anywhere from 4 to 7 gallons.

            dopeysjon

            On 1/12/06, Ron Heavner <home2brewpgh@...> wrote:

            > Does anyone else have a gas gauge that reads lower than actual? We
            > just took delivery of a 2005 Prius. After a few days of driving I
            > could not wait to fill up to check gas mileage and the car took less
            > than 4 gallons even though the gauge was registering just over half a
            > tank. The second tank I ran down to about half and it took 5 gallons
            > to fill. Last night the tank appeared near empty and it still took
            > just over 7 gallons to fill. While appearing near empty it had 5
            > gallons left in the tank! Is this normal for the Prius?
            >
            > 2005 Seaside Pearl AKA Misty Package 4 850 miles 47 mpg!
            >

            > To access group's website features such as Files, Photos, Links, Database
            > and Polls, go to

            Jon

          • gameon152001
            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 12, 2006
              hmmm, I have a slight recollection that a few years ago the droup had
              decided us woners should rename that thingy as the "guess gauge."

              dw

              --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "K. B. Eric Riddle"
              <riddlere@y...> wrote:

              > The fuel indicator bar is a mechanical WAG at what is actually in
              the bladder.
              > It is about as accurate as a slingshot on a windy day. Watch
              miles driven and
              > use the guage to estimate need to refuel. I still had two bars
              once, decided to
              > gas up, took 10.5 gallons. Not advisable to run out...
              >
              > Ron Heavner <home2brewpgh@y...> wrote:
              > Does anyone else have a gas gauge that reads lower than actual? We
              > just took delivery of a 2005 Prius. After a few days of driving I
              > could not wait to fill up to check gas mileage and the car took less
              > than 4 gallons even though the gauge was registering just over half a
              > tank. The second tank I ran down to about half and it took 5 gallons
              > to fill. Last night the tank appeared near empty and it still took
              > just over 7 gallons to fill. While appearing near empty it had 5
              > gallons left in the tank! Is this normal for the Prius?
              >
              > 2005 Seaside Pearl AKA Misty Package 4 850 miles 47 mpg!
              >

              > To access group's website features such as Files, Photos, Links,
              Database and Polls, go to

              > K. B. Eric Riddle

            • Earle Jones
              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 12, 2006
                On Jan 12, 2006, at 3:46 AM, Ron Heavner wrote:

                > Does anyone else have a gas gauge that reads lower than actual? We
                > just took delivery of a 2005 Prius. After a few days of driving I
                > could not wait to fill up to check gas mileage and the car took less
                > than 4 gallons even though the gauge was registering just over half a
                > tank. The second tank I ran down to about half and it took 5 gallons
                > to fill. Last night the tank appeared near empty and it still took
                > just over 7 gallons to fill. While appearing near empty it had 5
                > gallons left in the tank! Is this normal for the Prius?

                *
                It may not be 'normal', but it seems to be 'typical'.

                earle
                *
                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 12, 2006
                  Has ANYONE ever owned a car with a linear gas gauge?

                  Oops... yes, I have!

                  I could see the amount of fuel in the tank read directly in the center of the dash.... via a needle attached to a float in the tank, and could also see the actual fuel as well in the gauge.

                  That was a Model A Ford -- last car I know of with a linear gauge.

                • ricksprius
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jan 13, 2006
                    Yeah, the gas gauge on the Classic Prius is just as messed up.

                    One would think that with the sophisticated technology and computers
                    that are in all cars these days, not just the Prius, that someone
                    could come up with a more accurate fuel gauge.

                    --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, Jon Wilson <jonswilson@g...> wrote:

                    > Ron,
                    > My 2005 Seaside Pearl has a very inaccurate, nonlinear gas gauge. I
                    use the
                    > mpg and miles indications. When the miles (reset at last fill) is
                    about ten
                    > times the mpg, I figure I have used about 10 gallons; better fill up
                    *soon.*

                    > Actually, I try to fill up when gauge indicates about half full. It
                    may take
                    > anywhere from 4 to 7 gallons.
                    >
                    > dopeysjon
                    >

                    > On 1/12/06, Ron Heavner <home2brewpgh@y...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Does anyone else have a gas gauge that reads lower than actual? We
                    > > just took delivery of a 2005 Prius. After a few days of driving I
                    > > could not wait to fill up to check gas mileage and the car took less
                    > > than 4 gallons even though the gauge was registering just over half a
                    > > tank. The second tank I ran down to about half and it took 5 gallons
                    > > to fill. Last night the tank appeared near empty and it still took
                    > > just over 7 gallons to fill. While appearing near empty it had 5
                    > > gallons left in the tank! Is this normal for the Prius?
                    > >
                    > > 2005 Seaside Pearl AKA Misty Package 4 850 miles 47 mpg!
                    > >

                    > > To access group's website features such as Files, Photos, Links,
                    Database
                    > > and Polls, go to
                    > > http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toyota-prius
                    > > , Photos, Links, Database and Polls, go to
                    > > http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toyota-prius
                    > >
                    > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                    > >

                    > --
                    > Jon

                  • James A. Harrod
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jan 13, 2006
                      >Yeah, the gas gauge on the Classic Prius is just as messed up.
                      >
                      >One would think that with the sophisticated technology and computers
                      >that are in all cars these days, not just the Prius, that someone
                      >could come up with a more accurate fuel gauge.

                      One of the features (among many) that I liked about my previous
                      vehicle, a 1994 Volvo 850 Turbo, was the on board computer which
                      allowed one to select six different readouts one of which was miles
                      remaining until the fuel tank was empty (based on current mpg usage).
                      Perhaps future Prius enhancements will include a more sophisticated
                      analysis of fuel and miles remaining, etc.
                      --
                      Jim - '05 - #6 - Millennium Silver
                    • mikes.email@juno.com
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jan 13, 2006
                        LOL! You hit it on the head! And, made me think of the next improvement
                        for 2007 too!

                        A video camera with light source (with the electric isolated from the gas
                        of course <g>) so we can actually see how much gas is left in there!

                        Waddya think? ;-)

                        Mike 05 #6

                        P.S. Still got that Ford?

                        On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 23:01:08 -0500 (GMT-05:00) Peter Blackford
                        <PriusPete@...> writes:
                        > Has ANYONE ever owned a car with a linear gas gauge?
                        > Oops... yes, I have!
                        > I could see the amount of fuel in the tank read directly in the
                        > center of the dash.... via a needle attached to a float in the tank,
                        > and could also see the actual fuel as well in the gauge.
                        >
                        > That was a Model A Ford -- last car I know of with a linear gauge.
                        > Pete
                        .
                      • gameon152001
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jan 13, 2006
                          The early VW beetles (50s and early 60s) had no factory gauge at all,
                          but did have a spare tank with an extra gallon of gas in it to cut
                          over when the engine began to sputter. A friend had one that he'd
                          modified with an external loop of plastic tube from the bottom of the
                          tank to the top, which passed through the sheet metal under the
                          dashboard (remember, engine was in the back, gas tank was in the
                          front) so he could see from the driver's seat exactly how much fuel
                          was sloshing up and down in the tube. He put marks on the tube at one-
                          gallon intervals. Doubt that NHTSA would approve now, but they hadn't
                          been invented at that time.

                          dw

                        • shrubnews@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jan 13, 2006
                            In a message dated 1/12/2006 11:02:43 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                            PriusPete@... writes:
                            Has ANYONE ever owned a car with a linear gas gauge?

                            ====================

                            My 1993 Infiniti J30 had a calibrated gas gauge that was highly accurate.
                            The marks were not linearly spaced, but each quarter tank mark was exactly 4
                            gallons, and there were 2.5 gallons left when the gauge reached E, when the
                            Reserve light came on.

                            Larry
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jan 13, 2006
                              traded the Ford on another Ford (SHO) which was sold when I bought the Prius

                              Prius is in the body shop for cosmetic surgery (paint chips & discolored bumpers), hopefully back early next week.

                              Pete (5+ years, and still grinning)

                              >LOL! You hit it on the head! And, made me think of the next improvement
                              >for 2007 too!
                              >
                              >A video camera with light source (with the electric isolated from the gas
                              >of course <g>) so we can actually see how much gas is left in there!
                              >
                              >Waddya think? ;-)
                              >
                              >Mike 05 #6
                              >
                              >P.S. Still got that Ford?
                              >

                              >On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 23:01:08 -0500 (GMT-05:00) Peter Blackford
                              ><PriusPete@...> writes:
                              >> Has ANYONE ever owned a car with a linear gas gauge?
                              >> Oops... yes, I have!
                              >> I could see the amount of fuel in the tank read directly in the
                              >> center of the dash.... via a needle attached to a float in the tank,
                              >> and could also see the actual fuel as well in the gauge.
                              >>
                              >> That was a Model A Ford -- last car I know of with a linear gauge.
                              >> Pete
                              >.
                              >

                              >To access group's website features such as Files, Photos, Links, Database and Polls, go to
                              >http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toyota-prius
                              >, Photos, Links, Database and Polls, go to
                              >http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toyota-prius
                              >
                              >Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • JerryW
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jan 13, 2006
                                On 13/01/06, James A. Harrod <jaharrod@...> wrote:

                                > One of the features (among many) that I liked about my previous
                                > vehicle, a 1994 Volvo 850 Turbo, was the on board computer which
                                > allowed one to select six different readouts one of which was miles
                                > remaining until the fuel tank was empty (based on current mpg usage).
                                > Perhaps future Prius enhancements will include a more sophisticated
                                > analysis of fuel and miles remaining, etc.

                                Just to be clear, the problem with both the classic and current NHW20 Prius
                                is not the gauge but the existence of the bladder.

                                Those Prius models, like mine, that don't have a bladder have a perfectly
                                satisfactory, accurate fuel gauge which I can trust to the nearest litre -
                                two pints or so. When the last bar flashes I have about 40 miles or so left,
                                depending on terrain - every time. The gauge is a float in a vertical tube.
                                In my car it is inside the tank and corresponds exactly to the tank fuel
                                level. In your car it is also inside the tank but it is outside the bladder
                                and because the bladder exerts a varying pressure the level in the tube
                                seldom matches the level in the bladder. No amount of information about
                                miles remaining etc. will make it any more accurate or reliable than it is.

                                The display is non linear because Toyota decided to show it that way. The
                                information from the float can be displayed any way they wish.

                                Regards

                                Jerry

                                Are you a Prius owner?
                                Put yourself on the MAP!
                                http://www.frappr.com/priusowners

                              • mikate
                                Message 15 of 28 , Apr 16, 2006
                                  Hi - filled the tank yesterday and the gas gauge did not register the gas
                                  put in the tank...drove today short distance and no change. Driving on flat
                                  surfaces.still no register of any gas input..anyone ever had this
                                  happen????
                                  thanks - karen
                                  '03 classic
                                  18,200 miles

                                • Doug Schaefer
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Apr 16, 2006
                                    --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "mikate" <mikate@...> wrote:

                                    > Hi - filled the tank yesterday and the gas gauge did not register
                                    > the gas put in the tank...drove today short distance and no change...

                                    This is the way, if you added less than 3.5 gallons or so. If you
                                    added much more, you are in new territory.

                                    DAS