Ready light

  • ppsamw
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 2, 2005
      Last night, for the 1st time, a "READY" light came on between to the
      speedometer and transmission indacator.
      I have 2450 miles on my 2k5 prius.
      This is the first I've never seen this light before.
      Can't find any reference to it in the owners manual.Dealer says I
      don't need any type service till I hit 5k miles.
      Can any one tell me what this light means. As I stated before, this
      light never lite up till just last night. I certinly would have
      noticed it if it did, it's right next to the speed indcator wich I
      look at quite often.
      Thanks, PPsam
    • Michelle Vadeboncoeur
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 2, 2005
        --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "ppsamw" <samw610@v...> wrote:

        > Last night, for the 1st time, a "READY" light came on between to
        the
        > speedometer and transmission indacator.

        You shouldn't be able to drive your Prius WITHOUT a "READY" light.

        2004 US Owner's Manual, Section 1-2 "Features on New Toyota
        Vehicle," "Toyota Hybrid System," "Starting your vehicle" page 11.

        <quote>
        Your vehicle is equipped with push button
        start. The hybrid system will start
        automatically by pressing the "POWER"
        switch briefly with the brake pedal depressed.
        Without smart function
        1. Insert the key.
        2. Press the "POWER" switch briefly with
        the brake pedal depressed.
        With smart function
        1. Carry the key with you.
        2. Press the "POWER" switch briefly with
        the brake pedal depressed.
        The "READY" light flashes and stays on.
        A beep sounds after a few seconds, and
        the hybrid system will start. (If the ambient
        temperature is low such as during
        winter, it may take time until the "READY"
        light comes on.) You cannot start your
        vehicle when the brake pedal is not depressed.
        (For details, see "How to start
        the hybrid system—" on page 230.)
        The engine may not start even with the
        "READY" light on.
        </quote>
      • Paul Lawler
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 2, 2005
          On Nov 2, 2005, at 5:42, ppsamw wrote:

          > Last night, for the 1st time, a "READY" light came on between to the
          > speedometer and transmission indacator.
          > Can any one tell me what this light means. As I stated before, this
          > light never lite up till just last night. I certinly would have
          > noticed it if it did, it's right next to the speed indcator wich I
          > look at quite often.

          The "ready" light comes on every time you press the "Power" button.

          I bet you will notice it from now on... ;o)
        • Umasankar
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 2, 2005
            I drive a 2k5 prius with 15k miles on it. Ready light shows up everytime you start your car. Relax!

            ppsamw <samw610@...> wrote:Last night, for the 1st time, a "READY" light came on between to the
            speedometer and transmission indacator.
            I have 2450 miles on my 2k5 prius.
            This is the first I've never seen this light before.
            Can't find any reference to it in the owners manual.Dealer says I
            don't need any type service till I hit 5k miles.
            Can any one tell me what this light means. As I stated before, this
            light never lite up till just last night. I certinly would have
            noticed it if it did, it's right next to the speed indcator wich I
            look at quite often.
            Thanks, PPsam

            To access group's website features such as Files, Photos, Links, Database and Polls, go to
            http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toyota-prius
            , Photos, Links, Database and Polls, go to
            http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toyota-prius

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Gary Novosielski
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 2, 2005
              On 11/2/05, ppsamw <samw610@...> wrote:

              > Last night, for the 1st time, a "READY" light came on between to the
              > speedometer and transmission indacator.

              The ready light means that the hybrid system is "ON" and the high voltage
              battery is live and connected to the rest of the system. It's the equivalent
              to a regular car having the engine running.

              You can't drive the car if the READY light is off.

              I guarantee you it's been on ever since you got the car and you just never
              noticed it.

              --
              =Gary
              '05 Millennium Silver; BI + Wheel Locks, Fog lights, Auto-dimming mirror,

            • K. B. Eric Riddle
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 2, 2005
                Its in the manual. Owners manual is very specific concerning the "ready" light...

                Gary Novosielski <gary.novosielski@...> wrote:On 11/2/05, ppsamw wrote:

                > Last night, for the 1st time, a "READY" light came on between to the
                > speedometer and transmission indacator.

                The ready light means that the hybrid system is "ON" and the high voltage
                battery is live and connected to the rest of the system. It's the equivalent
                to a regular car having the engine running.

                You can't drive the car if the READY light is off.

                I guarantee you it's been on ever since you got the car and you just never
                noticed it.

                --
                =Gary
                '05 Millennium Silver; BI + Wheel Locks, Fog lights, Auto-dimming mirror,
                CoastalEtech EV switch; Garmin StreetPilot 2610 GPS; XM Satellite Radio

                To access group's website features such as Files, Photos, Links, Database and Polls, go to
                http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toyota-prius
                , Photos, Links, Database and Polls, go to
                http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toyota-prius

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                K. B. Eric Riddle

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 3, 2005
                  You need to pay closer attention - if you've been driving the car, that light has been on whenever it's been driveable.