Re: [toyota-prius] Prius 2004 Extended Warranty?

  • shrubnews@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
      In a message dated 9/1/2005 3:17:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time, mpings@...
      writes:
      My 2004 Prius has 30,000 miles, and I'm thinking about getting an Extended
      Warranty.
      My Toyota dealer handed me a brochure for the Pinnacle Protection Plan,
      which is administered by National Auto Care Corporation. It is
      "comprehensive" meaning that "The Pinnacle Parts and Labor Plan... covers
      the cost of repairs, due to mechanical breakdown, of manufacturer installed
      mechanical and electrical parts." It also has the Emergency Road Service
      Assistance and Trip Interruption coverage in US/Canada, and is transferable.

      Basically, to get an additional 60 months or 75K mile coverage (totalling
      105K) it would cost $1340.
      ======================================
      The problems with this are:

      1. 3rd party protection plans tend to go bankrupt long before your warranty
      runs out. It happened to me twice, before I wised up, and it has happened to
      people in the droup. In one extreme case the company, which had a monthly
      payment option, went bankrupt, but they had sold their collections to someone
      else. The woner had to continue making payments for a worthless protection plan.

      2. You can get a genuine Toyota plan, 7 years/100K miles/no deductible for
      about $980 from several dealers. So you are overpaying.

      Larry
    • Thomas C. Knueppel
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
        Michelle,

        Thanks fore your reply. No, you were not confused - I did not state my
        question correctly. I am talking about the extended warranty/service
        coverage.

        If I understand you correctly that since I am living in the
        Southeast/Florida I am not able to purchase a Toyota extended warrant but
        have only access to a 3rd part one - is that correct? You also indicated
        that I should be able to get the Toyota plan directly from them - if so,
        where do I go?

        Thanks in advance.

        Cheers,
        Tom

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
          Florida here, also.

          There MAY be some strange 'law' allowing dealers to price-fix the Toyota warranty here. Your dealer is just plain lying if they say the Toyota plan is not available - more profit in the one they're pushing, of course.

          So it's simple - just do as advised and get it from Troy (or anyone else out of state) - they have forced your hand, and it's valid anywhere.

          > I recently took delivery of a new 2005 Prius here in Tampa Florida and
          when
          > we did our paperwork were offered an extended 7 year maintenance contract
          > for $ 1500. Obviously this in effect means an additional 4 years. This
          > contract is offered through a company called JM&A Group. We declined but
          > have some time to make up our mind.
          >

          > I do remember seeing somewhere that Toyota also sells these extended
          > contracts for less than $ 1000. Does anybody have any information about
          > this?

          I think I was somewhat confused in my initial response to your question.

          Are you asking about extended service coverage (extended warranty),
          where if unpredicted problems occur with your vehicle after the basic
          new car warranty ends that that service is covered?
          http://www.toyotafinancial.com/pyv/extended_service_coverage/index.html

          Or are you asking about a prepaid maintenance plan, where the predicted
          scheduled maintenances (like oil/filter changes, tire rotation, air
          filter changes) are paid in advance for a specific number of services?
          http://www.toyotafinancial.com/pyv/prepaid_maintenance/index.html

          To access group's website features such as Files, Photos, Links, Database
          and Polls, go to
          http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toyota-prius
          , Photos, Links, Database and Polls, go to
          http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toyota-prius

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          To access group's website features such as Files, Photos, Links, Database and Polls, go to
          http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toyota-prius
          , Photos, Links, Database and Polls, go to
          http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toyota-prius

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • scoopjones
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 3, 2005
            Hi, Peggy,
            When I bought my 2002 three years ago, I purchased the extended
            warranty to cover me up to 100,000 miles, but honestly I never used
            the first warranty. Back when I bought my Prius, it was still
            "experimental", so I wanted to be cautious. I think the cars have
            gotten reliable enough that the extended warranty really isn't
            necessary. Just my 2 cents.
            Evan

            --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, Peggy Pings <mpings@w...> wrote:
            > My 2004 Prius has 30,000 miles, and I'm thinking about getting an
            Extended
            > Warranty.
            > My Toyota dealer handed me a brochure for the Pinnacle Protection Plan,
            > which is administered by National Auto Care Corporation. It is
            > "comprehensive" meaning that "The Pinnacle Parts and Labor Plan...
            covers
            > the cost of repairs, due to mechanical breakdown, of manufacturer
            installed
            > mechanical and electrical parts." It also has the Emergency Road
            Service
            > Assistance and Trip Interruption coverage in US/Canada, and is
            transferable.

            > Basically, to get an additional 60 months or 75K mile coverage
            (totalling
            > 105K) it would cost $1340.
            >
            > Advice?
            >
            > Peggy in WV
            > 304-293-2941 x2446

            > Peggy Pings, Outdoor Recreation Planner, National Park Service (NPS)
            > -Rivers & Trails Program (RTCA), WV Field Office, WVU Div. of
            Forestry, PO
            > Box 6125, Evansdale Drive, Room 325 Percival Hall, Morgantown, WV
            26506-6125
            > 304-293-2941 x2446 fax 304-293-2441 mpings@w...
            > http://www.wdsc.caf.wvu.edu/recparks/ WVU -- Rec & Park Program
            > http://www.nps.gov/rtca NPS -- Washington DC -- RTCA Program