Re: Blocking the Radiator in Winter

  • d0li0
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
      --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "lawrence_d_lopez" <lopez@m...>
      wrote:
      > I was wondering if anyone tried
      > blocking the radiator in winter.
      >
      > This is common practice in many areas.
      >
      > For the VW Golf TDI it was really needed.
      >
      > I expect that it is also needed on the Prius.
      >
      > Are there any sold for the purpose items
      > for this use ?
      >
      > I'll probably just use a piece of cardboard
      > just like I've always done.

      I used that trick with great success in my Insight.
      It and a "warm air intake" modification did wonders
      durring a winter trip through the norther states.
      But I don't use it much here at home as it's never cold enough.

      The Prius on the otherhand is a whole different beast, and
      while I suspect that similar benefits might come from the
      radiator and/or warm air mod I can't speak from experience.

      In the Insight the radiator blocking resulted in about 3
      degrees warmer air intake temp per 1/3rd blockage. The
      warm air modification which draws intake air from either
      the catalitic converter or the top/rear of the engine
      compartment resulted in an additional 10 degree F rise.
      Notice: Never block the entire radiator!

      L8r
      Ryan

      ps. Why does it help?
      Engine compartment warms up faster, warm engine compartment air
      stays under the hood longer, less heat disipated by radiator,
      better air/fuel mixing, more complete combustion? I could be wrong.
    • Stephan Jennebach
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
        Lawrence,

        I blocked the front bottom two "slots" on my 2003 with great success
        last winter. Living in Minnesota, those 20 below days really take a
        toll on the gas mileage. I noticed an immediate increase in gas
        mileage, along with faster cabin warm-up.
        I used the black styrofoam pipe covers you can buy at any hardware
        store, cut them to size and affixed them inside the two bottom slots on
        the front bumper with wires. Very inexpensive and easy to do. No
        problems in the carwash, either.
        The only thing I noticed was that the outside temperature readings were
        way high - probably because the sensor is somewhere under the hood,
        where it was warmer than outside...

        Stephan, in his Silver Strata Metallic '03, 35,784 miles, 39.4 lifetime
        mpg

        wrote:
        > I was wondering if anyone tried
        > blocking the radiator in winter.
        >
        > This is common practice in many areas.
        >
        > For the VW Golf TDI it was really needed.
        >
        > I expect that it is also needed on the Prius.
        >
        > Are there any sold for the purpose items
        > for this use ?
        >
        > I'll probably just use a piece of cardboard
        > just like I've always done.
      • Ed & Ruth Young
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
          I blocked the front bottom two "slots" on my 2003 with great success
          last winter. Living in Minnesota, those 20 below days really take a
          toll on the gas mileage. I noticed an immediate increase in gas
          mileage, along with faster cabin warm-up.
          Stephan, in his Silver Strata Metallic '03

          Over the 4 previous winters we have owned our 2001, I've always
          considered doing that. Think I'm going to try and make sure I get it
          done this winter.

          Ed

        • Maryellen B. Smith
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
            For a non-mechanical person could someone please tell me how to block the radiator with cardboard. ThelmaLouise2004 Tideland Pearl
            > For the VW Golf TDI it was really needed.
            >
            > I expect that it is also needed on the Prius.
            >
            > Are there any sold for the purpose items
            > for this use ?
            >
            > I'll probably just use a piece of cardboard
            > just like I've always done.

            I used that trick with great success in my Insight.
            It and a "warm air intake" modification did wonders
            durring a winter trip through the norther states.
            But I don't use it much here at home as it's never cold enough.

            The Prius on the otherhand is a whole different beast, and
            while I suspect that similar benefits might come from the
            radiator and/or warm air mod I can't speak from experience.

            In the Insight the radiator blocking resulted in about 3
            degrees warmer air intake temp per 1/3rd blockage. The
            warm air modification which draws intake air from either
            the catalitic converter or the top/rear of the engine
            compartment resulted in an additional 10 degree F rise.
            Notice: Never block the entire radiator!

            L8r
            Ryan

            ps. Why does it help?
            Engine compartment warms up faster, warm engine compartment air
            stays under the hood longer, less heat disipated by radiator,
            better air/fuel mixing, more complete combustion? I could be wrong.

            To access group's website features such as Files, Photos, Links, Database and Polls, go to
            http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toyota-prius<http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toyota-prius>
            , Photos, Links, Database and Polls, go to
            http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toyota-prius<http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toyota-prius>

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Jayson
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
              Attach some card board to the front side of the radiator. Tape will
              probably fall off in a few days so use zip ties or something
              equivilent.

              In my experiance, this has very limited effectiveness. Cooling
              systems have a thermostat so when cold the coolant bypasses the
              radiator. The cardboard mostly serves to stop ventilation to the
              engine compartment.

              <Please remember to change your replies to go to the list. Do not
              send me e-mail directly>

              Jay W
              505/287 Dakota

              --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "Maryellen B. Smith"

            • pi31415926538
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 2, 2005
                Whether it reduces radiator loss or reduces ventilation to the
                engine compartment, the net result is the same- the engine stays
                warmer, which is exactly the desired result in the winter.