Re: Shifting technique in the Prius

  • johnp67544@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1, 2005
      On Sun, 31 Jul 2005, JerryW <jerrywh@...> wrote:

      >There is no "right" answer since both methods are clearly feasible. But
      >personally I am with your wife on this and I believe that someone who is in
      >tune with their car would not do what you describe..

      It is possible to "rock" the Prius by alternating between D and R; a useful
      technique for freeing the car from snow. However, there is surely a limit to
      how fast you can go before the the commputer says "Hell, no!" and forces N. I
      know that speed is above 2 - 3 MPH, as I regularly shift in the manner
      kscharfenberg describes. I would hesitate to try it above 5 MPH, though.

      (All that said, I live in Southern California. Very little problem with sno
      w...)

      jprice       SoCal '05 Silver, #1, 6300 miles, cum. mileage 46.7MPG

    • Michael Pardee
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 3, 2005
        --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, johnp67544@a... wrote:
        > On Sun, 31 Jul 2005, JerryW <jerrywh@g...> wrote:
        > It is possible to "rock" the Prius by alternating between D and R; a
        useful
        > technique for freeing the car from snow.

        I don't know about the 2G, but I recall the Classic owner's manual
        expressly forbids doing that.

        Mike
      • JerryW
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 3, 2005
          On 03/08/05, Michael Pardee <flagmichael@...> wrote:

          > --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, johnp67544@a... wrote:
          > > On Sun, 31 Jul 2005, JerryW <jerrywh@g...> wrote:
          > > It is possible to "rock" the Prius by alternating between D and R; a
          > useful
          > > technique for freeing the car from snow.
          >
          > I don't know about the 2G, but I recall the Classic owner's manual
          > expressly forbids doing that.

          I dunno who posted that, but it certainly wasn't me. I would never do such a
          thing, and I don't go out if it snows...

          Regards

          Jerry

          Prius Fan and owner of:

        • mikes.email@juno.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 3, 2005
            I'm not going to go look it up now, but I do THINK that I remember seeing
            in the 2005 manual that you can SLIGHTLY "rock" the car back and fourth
            to attempt to get out of a snow rut, but NEVER attempt to do it too fast
            or if/while you have pressed the on the gas for more than slow power.

            Anyhow, that to me makes perfect sense in any car.

            Mike 05 #6