Re: [toyota-prius] MPG question - 02 Prius

  • mochalleng@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1, 2005
      HI,

      First of all, jackrabbit starts are preferable with the Prius. It is
      better to accelerate quickly to the desired speed, and hold it steady. I like to
      use the cruise control a lot when there is room to do so. I wouldn't
      recommend it in heavy traffic.
      The A/C will take a hit on the mileage if you are doing a lot of stop
      and go driving, but not as heavy in highway driving. Short trips take a big hit
      on mileage. I drive 50 miles round trip to work everyday on flat to gently
      rolling terrain at mostly 55-58 MPH and get about 48-51 MPG depending on the
      wind direction. Driving the 150 miles from here to St. Louis using I-64 at 68
      MPH, I get around 46 MPG. I drove from here to Atlantic City using back roads
      and through the mountains and averaged 51.5 MPG, so hills are not
      necessarily bad.
      Tire pressure will make a difference also. I run mine at 43 psi front
      and 41 psi rear. The group generally recommends 42/40, I just went a little
      more. I have averaged as high as 62 MPG driving around St. Louis, strictly city
      driving, so I would try these suggestions first before going to the dealer.

      Mike Hahn
      2002 Aqua Ice Opalescent
      62,000 Miles
      Olney, IL

      In a message dated 7/31/2005 8:11:52 PM Central Daylight Time,
      zude2001@... writes:

      Hello,

      We bought a used 2002 Prius from a local dealer that had just under
      11,000 miles on it, about a month ago.

      We've been trying to "drive gently" - i.e. avoid jackrabbit starts,
      coasting when possible, etc. but we're only getting about 38-42 MPG
      (actual - displayed has never gone much over 44MPG). We've gone
      about 1200 miles so far with it.

      The area that we live in is quite hilly (N. San Diego County) and
      because of the summer heat we do run the A/C a lot, but is this
      normal performance? From what I've been reading here and elsewhere
      online, we should be doing a lot better. Of course, the excellent
      gas mileage was the major reason we chose the Prius (but not the
      only reason).

      Should we bring it in to the dealer to have it checked out, or is
      there something we're doing wrong?

      Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    • Michael Pardee
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 1, 2005
        --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, mochalleng@a... wrote:

        > The A/C will take a hit on the mileage if you are doing a lot
        of stop
        > and go driving, but not as heavy in highway driving. Short trips
        take a big hit
        > on mileage.

        It just dawned on me as I read that the A/C probably compounds the
        effect of short trips by working full time trying to cool the interior
        down. Normally short trips are less of a problem in warm weather than
        in cold weather because the engine warms up more quickly, but the A/C
        probably evens it out a little.

        Mike
      • Leo Waltz
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 1, 2005
          My lifetime average consumption on my 2002 is slightly over 38
          mpg. This is caused mostly by short trips and heavy A/C use here in
          the Texas heat & humidity. There have been responses to you about
          tire pressure, but also have the front end alignment checked. My toe
          was off on the first check. This might not affect consumption too
          much but will improve handling. You can get a free alignment check
          at places like NTB, but on my check there they used the specs from
          the 2004 instead of those from the 2002 (on toe, they are identical,
          but caster/camber are not).

          On two recent short trips of about 500 miles total, I got 52 mpg
          while averaging about 60 mph. On one of these trips, the road
          surface changed and I noticed that this had a larger effect on mpg
          than I thought. Concrete and smooth asphalt gave the best mpg, but
          gravel in asphalt caused the mpg to drop to about 48 from 52. The
          wind when stopped was the same (none) and it was flat elevation and I
          was using cruise control. I watched the 5 minute interval display
          and it was a surprise to see the mileage drop when on the
          gravel/asphalt (this is not loose gravel, and it is noisy compared to
          smooth asphalt). I am running 42/40 psi on Michelin Destiny tires
          (not recommended & not the best for low mpg) which were my only
          choices when I had one of the original tires go out while out on a
          trip at about 20K miles.

          At 03:31 AM 08/01/2005, toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com wrote:
          >Message: 8
          > Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 22:29:32 -0000
          > From: "zude2001" <zude2001@...>
          >Subject: MPG question - 02 Prius
          >
          >Hello,
          >
          >We bought a used 2002 Prius from a local dealer that had just under
          >11,000 miles on it, about a month ago.
          >
          >We've been trying to "drive gently" - i.e. avoid jackrabbit starts,
          >coasting when possible, etc. but we're only getting about 38-42 MPG
          >(actual - displayed has never gone much over 44MPG). We've gone
          >about 1200 miles so far with it.
          >
          >The area that we live in is quite hilly (N. San Diego County) and
          >because of the summer heat we do run the A/C a lot, but is this
          >normal performance? From what I've been reading here and elsewhere
          >online, we should be doing a lot better. Of course, the excellent
          >gas mileage was the major reason we chose the Prius (but not the
          >only reason).
          >
          >Should we bring it in to the dealer to have it checked out, or is
          >there something we're doing wrong?
          >
          >Any suggestions would be appreciated.
        • bobjbkln
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 1, 2005
            The Prius came with Low Rolling Resistance tires (Bridgestone
            Potenza XL--extra load). Changing to ordinary tires will reduce the
            mileage at least 2-3 MPG. Do you have Potenza XLs on your car? Are
            they filled to at least 44/42 or 42/40 psi?
            --
            Peace,
            bobj

            --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, Leo Waltz <leo.waltz@p...>

          • zude2001
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 2, 2005
              --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "zude2001" <zude2001@y...>
              wrote:
              > Hello,
              >
              > We bought a used 2002 Prius from a local dealer that had just
              under
              > 11,000 miles on it, about a month ago.
              >
              > We've been trying to "drive gently" - i.e. avoid jackrabbit
              starts,
              > coasting when possible, etc. but we're only getting about 38-42
              MPG
              > (actual - displayed has never gone much over 44MPG). We've gone
              > about 1200 miles so far with it.
              >
              > The area that we live in is quite hilly (N. San Diego County) and
              > because of the summer heat we do run the A/C a lot, but is this
              > normal performance? From what I've been reading here and elsewhere
              > online, we should be doing a lot better. Of course, the excellent
              > gas mileage was the major reason we chose the Prius (but not the
              > only reason).
              >
              > Should we bring it in to the dealer to have it checked out, or is
              > there something we're doing wrong?
              >
              > Any suggestions would be appreciated.

              Thank you for the many fine suggestions. Our trips do tend to be
              short (20-30 minutes) without much freeway driving. Street speeds
              are 35-55 mph and freeway driving is 65-70. The A/C is on nearly all
              of the time. Based on the checklist in the FAQ our results are not
              all that far off (on the Prius display).

              Tires are the original Potenzas, filled to 42/40 PST front/rear.

              I've also read the other information including the "User Guide -
              Classic" found on john1701's site, and we'll be making an effort to
              follow those recommendations.

              I will also try to take some longer trips and/or try leaving the A/C
              off to see how that works out.

              Thanks again!
            • Mark Binder
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 3, 2005
                is a/c on "auto"? also, mileage drops slightly when you use other than the
                "a/c on foot" icon...which my wife refuses to do. she makes anywhere from
                8-12 short trips daily, most withing 5-6 miles of each other, no highway
                driving, 44/42 pressures, and gets 40-44 mpg with a/c, 46-50 with.

                when i drive highway, i do exactly 73, and get exactly 46 mpg. consistantly.
                a/c on.

                cheers!! mark(2001)

                > > We bought a used 2002 Prius from a local dealer that had just
                > under
                > > 11,000 miles on it, about a month ago.
                > >
                > > We've been trying to "drive gently" - i.e. avoid jackrabbit
                > starts,
                > > coasting when possible, etc. but we're only getting about 38-42
                > MPG
                > > (actual - displayed has never gone much over 44MPG). We've gone
                > > about 1200 miles so far with it.
                > >
                > > The area that we live in is quite hilly (N. San Diego County) and
                > > because of the summer heat we do run the A/C a lot, but is this
                > > normal performance? From what I've been reading here and elsewhere
                > > online, we should be doing a lot better. Of course, the excellent
                > > gas mileage was the major reason we chose the Prius (but not the
                > > only reason).
                > >
                > > Should we bring it in to the dealer to have it checked out, or is
                > > there something we're doing wrong?
                > >
                > > Any suggestions would be appreciated.
                >
                > Thank you for the many fine suggestions. Our trips do tend to be
                > short (20-30 minutes) without much freeway driving. Street speeds
                > are 35-55 mph and freeway driving is 65-70. The A/C is on nearly all
                > of the time. Based on the checklist in the FAQ our results are not
                > all that far off (on the Prius display).
                >
                > Tires are the original Potenzas, filled to 42/40 PST front/rear.
                >
                > I've also read the other information including the "User Guide -
                > Classic" found on john1701's site, and we'll be making an effort to
                > follow those recommendations.
                >
                > I will also try to take some longer trips and/or try leaving the A/C
                > off to see how that works out.
                >
                > Thanks again!
                >

                > To access group's website features such as Files, Photos, Links, Database
                and Polls, go to

              • Peter Ellis
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 4, 2005
                  > gets 40-44 mpg with a/c, 46-50 with.

                  Clarifying - I presume the last measurement is WITHOUT a/c, since
                  those are the higher numbers? :)
                  --
                  Peter Ellis, Olympia, WA
                  "Cassie" - Millenium Silver '04 Prius (base pkg)
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 4, 2005
                    yeah...i don't always proof my posts...plenty of witnesses in the droup on
                    that!!

                    thanx!!

                    mark