Re: [toyota-prius] Re: GM says No True Benefits from Hybrids (Wired Article)

  • Paul Lawler
    Message 1 of 53 , Jun 30, 2005
      On Jun 30, 2005, at 4:06, john_tartar wrote:

      > I simply connected these dots:
      >
      > 1) The president strongly supports the development of hydrogen cars.

      Really... I haven't seen that.

      > 2) The president strongly supports new Nuclear Power plants.

      Haven't seen that either... how many has he gotten built in his first
      six years in office?

      > 3) We don't really need more electric power plants, unless we are
      > going to need a lot more electricity for something new.

      Depends on how you feel about foreign oil, I suppose.

      > 4) Electric power is an excellent way to produce hydrogen.

      No, actually it's not.

      But you're welcome to continue the discussion in hybrid-politics.
    • Michael Pardee
      Message 53 of 53 , Jul 15, 2005
        --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, Peter Ellis <caelestia@g...>
        wrote:
        > > There is an article in the current issue of Wired magazine that
        just
        > > came out (with The Gorillaz on the cover) that is an interview
        with a
        > > top level guy at GM (or maybe THE top level guy).
        >
        > If anyone's interested, I believe this is the same article:
        >
        > http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.07/start.html?pg=11
        >
        > Interesting... not to start up a war again or anything :)
        > --
        > Peter Ellis, Olympia, WA
        > "Cassie" - Millenium Silver '04 Prius (base pkg)

        Dunno about a war - I don't know anybody here who feels very
        differently than I do (or is it that I don't feel very differently
        than they do?)

        The overriding importance of hybrid technology in a fuel cell
        powered car seems to escape GM, and that worries me more than any
        other policy GM has for their future. The ability of hybrid power
        trains to separate acceleration performance from engine (or fuel
        cell) power is absolutely crucial to market acceptance of a fuel
        cell vehicle. Who wants a car that has to warm itself up for a
        minute or more (a lot more in cold weather)? Why make 100 KW fuel
        cells for a car that only needs 20-30 KW steady state? Why forego
        regenerative braking? If a non-hybrid fuel cell car and a hybrid
        fuel cell car compete for market in a decade or so, the hybrid will
        win hands down.

        The broken path to a fuel cell future aside, it makes no sense to
        ignore a vital enabling technology that - by the way - is a
        moneymaker in today's market.

        Mike