Going for a test drive today

  • angeloak1
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 29, 2005
      I want to thank everyone for all of their advice and help with
      researching a Prius. I have learned so much! (And practical things
      too, not just what the dealership people tell you). So, we're going
      today for a test drive. We found a Prius about 60 miles from here but
      the salesman is a little annoying. Of course he has reminded us that
      they get MSRP and in fact, some dealerships are getting up to $5,000
      over MSRP. We won't do that so, if it is over the MSRP, we'll have to
      wait until things settle out later in the year. I noticed a
      dealership in Charleston (we live in SC) has 3 prices listed on their
      website, invoice, MSRP then selling price and the selling price is
      about $2000 over MSRP! This seems ridiculous to me but I suppose they
      get whatever the market can stand. Anyway, thanks again and I'll post
      later how it went!
    • Paul Lawler
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2005
        Unfortunately when Prius shopping you aren't in much of a position to
        bargain. If you decide to wait until things "settle out" you are almost
        sure to pay a higher price for two reasons. 1) Rising gas prices have
        caused a rising demand for Prii. 1) The 2006 model will almost
        certainly have a price increase. From a supply/demand perspective the
        Prius is obviously currently underpriced.

        On Apr 29, 2005, at 5:40 AM, angeloak1 wrote:

        > Of course he has reminded us that
        > they get MSRP and in fact, some dealerships are getting up to $5,000
        > over MSRP. We won't do that so, if it is over the MSRP, we'll have to
        > wait until things settle out later in the year. I noticed a
        > dealership in Charleston (we live in SC) has 3 prices listed on their
        > website, invoice, MSRP then selling price and the selling price is
        > about $2000 over MSRP! This seems ridiculous to me but I suppose they
        > get whatever the market can stand. Anyway, thanks again and I'll post
        > later how it went!

      • Jerome Parmentier
        Message 3 of 7 , May 3, 2005
          It has been a while since I've posted, but felt you folks deserved
          some more food for thought. A test drive is good. You will learn
          really what kind of dealer you are dealing with when you test drive
          with them. You will also learn much more about how the car responds.
          The test drive sold me on the vehicle. I hope you have the same
          reaction.

          As for premiums over MSRP, they are all B.S. If the dealer insists
          on them based on some flaky wording about what the market is willing
          to pay you need to back him into the wall. He needs to understand
          that you have the money, he wants the sale, and he needs to
          understand that the sale won't happen at any premium over MSRP. If
          he continues to talk premiums, walk. It is that simple. You are the
          market and it is up to you to determine the pricing in that market.

          > From: "angeloak1" <donnabray@...>
          >
          >I want to thank everyone for all of their advice and help with
          >researching a Prius. I have learned so much! (And practical things
          >too, not just what the dealership people tell you). So, we're going
          >today for a test drive. We found a Prius about 60 miles from here but
          >the salesman is a little annoying. Of course he has reminded us that
          >they get MSRP and in fact, some dealerships are getting up to $5,000
          >over MSRP. We won't do that so, if it is over the MSRP, we'll have to
          >wait until things settle out later in the year. I noticed a
          >dealership in Charleston (we live in SC) has 3 prices listed on their
          >website, invoice, MSRP then selling price and the selling price is
          >about $2000 over MSRP! This seems ridiculous to me but I suppose they
          >get whatever the market can stand. Anyway, thanks again and I'll post
          >later how it went!
        • Paul Lawler
          Message 4 of 7 , May 3, 2005
            That's really quite humorous. There are any number of people where I
            live who would be thrilled to pay premiums over MSRP if it meant they
            didn't have to wait 4-5 months for a car. Walking may make you feel
            superior, but it doesn't get you a car... and if you want a Prius,
            there's no one else that has anything comprable. It's not the same as
            saying, "if you want too much for the Camry, I'll just buy an Accord."
            AFIK, there isn't another available full hybrid out there.

            On May 3, 2005, at 7:49 PM, Jerome Parmentier wrote:

            > As for premiums over MSRP, they are all B.S. If the dealer insists
            > on them based on some flaky wording about what the market is willing
            > to pay you need to back him into the wall. He needs to understand
            > that you have the money, he wants the sale, and he needs to
            > understand that the sale won't happen at any premium over MSRP. If
            > he continues to talk premiums, walk. It is that simple. You are the
            > market and it is up to you to determine the pricing in that market.
          • Michael Pardee
            Message 5 of 7 , May 4, 2005
              --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, Paul Lawler <paul@l...> wrote:
              > That's really quite humorous. There are any number of people where I
              > live who would be thrilled to pay premiums over MSRP if it meant
              they
              > didn't have to wait 4-5 months for a car. Walking may make you feel
              > superior, but it doesn't get you a car... and if you want a Prius,
              > there's no one else that has anything comprable. It's not the same
              as
              > saying, "if you want too much for the Camry, I'll just buy an
              Accord."
              > AFIK, there isn't another available full hybrid out there.

              When there is, the smart bet is that it will be another Toyota. But
              that will make it a short walk ;-)

              Mike
            • Dave Bassage
              Message 6 of 7 , May 4, 2005
                Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 20:37:43 -0500
                From: Paul Lawler <paul@...>
                Subject: Re: Re: Going for a test drive today

                That's really quite humorous. There are any number of people where I
                live who would be thrilled to pay premiums over MSRP if it meant they
                didn't have to wait 4-5 months for a car. Walking may make you feel
                superior, but it doesn't get you a car... and if you want a Prius,
                there's no one else that has anything comprable. It's not the same as
                saying, "if you want too much for the Camry, I'll just buy an Accord."
                AFIK, there isn't another available full hybrid out there.

                ...and I periodically remind people that here in WV these days most dealers have a Prius or two on the lot and none that I'm aware of charge over MSRP. I know of four dealers for sure who don't. You may well be ahead to spring for a plane ticket,(Independence Air services us and has no penalty for one way low rate fares, other carriers have dropped their rates to match) fly here to pick up your car, and spend your purchase 'honeymoon' tooling back home. Or have it shipped. This isn't the only place where MSRP sales are common and supplies are good. Look around. If you insist on buying locally, your pricing options are more limited.

                Dave Bassage
              • Gary Novosielski
                Message 7 of 7 , May 4, 2005
                  On 5/3/05, Paul Lawler <paul@...> wrote:
                  > That's really quite humorous. There are any number of people where I
                  > live who would be thrilled to pay premiums over MSRP if it meant they
                  > didn't have to wait 4-5 months for a car. Walking may make you feel
                  > superior, but it doesn't get you a car...

                  That may have been true a year ago, but it's not true any more. A
                  little leg work WILL get you a car WITHOUT a wait. If you pay over
                  MSRP any more, they're just taking you for a sap. The market is
                  turning, and some dealers are just trying to ride on the reputation of
                  shortages, but they're a thing of the past. Walking does more than
                  just make you feel superior, it will also save you a thousand bucks or
                  two.

                  --
                  =Gary
                  '05 Millennium Silver; BI + Wheel Locks, Fog lights, Auto-dimming