Re: My visit to the toyota dealer

  • herman.1@osu.edu
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1, 2000
      Maybe the odometer or speedometer use or produce some
      repetative pulse signal produced as a function of
      road wheel rotation.

      Paul Herman

      --- In toyota-prius@egroups.com, "George Yeager" <ha7150@c...> wrote:
      > Hmmm. After some thought, maybe not. The cruise requires a "tach"
      > signal. Since the Prius uses the gas engine in such a way that
      > engine speed is not related to vehicle speed, the cruise actuator
      may
      > get confused.
      >
      > I'd say this requires a call to the cruise control manufacturer.
      >
      > George
    • George Yeager
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 1, 2000
        Paul:

        I'm sure there is a signal related to wheel speed (VSS). The problem
        (maybe, maybe not) comes in where the engine speed is subject to
        rapid changes unrelated to the VSS. For a cruise control like mine
        requiring a tach signal (engine speed, not wheel speed), that would
        probably result in annoying disengagements. There may be systems
        that will work. That's why I suggested contacting the cruise
        manufacturer before buying. Even then, expect some uncertainty
        because they'll not have seen a Prius (nor an Insight, as I found
        out).

        George