Re: [toyota-prius] Gas Tank Filler Problem - 2002 Prius

    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 1, 2005
      Are you POSITIVE that there ever WAS a 'little metal door' on your car? AFAIK, Prius doesn't have one. It just has the gasket which seals around the nozzle, and then the filler cap seals when closed. The metal plate found on some cars was only to prevent leaded fuel from being introduced accidentally (nozzel was too large in diameter to push it open), and you can't hardly find that any more! (this is at least the second time this has been discussed)

      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 1, 2005
        Still waiting to hear from ANYONE who still HAS a metal flap...

        Either they've ALL vanished (what are the odds?) or we never had them (odds are better...).

        Pete (metal flaps, UA... must be a full moon...)

        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 1, 2005
          He did not imagine it. Some of us did have little metal flaps in our fuel
          tank filler tube.
          ============
          Hello Droup,

          I do not remember noticing such, but my husband has filled our vehicles more
          than I have. He says our Prius has the little door or flap, our Tacoma has
          one, and our Pace Arrow motorhome has one as well. I'll see if I can take a
          digital picture of it today after the sun is out (it's 5 a.m. now) and post
          it on the Toyota-Prius web site. If I'm not successful with the posting,
          I'll send it to someone individually who can post it on his web site .....
          John?

          Betty
          Snowflake, 2003 Super White Prius (hybrid), 22,000+ wonderful miles
          http://www.drivecleanacrosstexas.org
        • kmbaileyus
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 1, 2005
            Our 2002 has the flap. I don't recall this discussion here before. I
            just assumed they all had the flap and that it prevents vapor escape
            between the time you remove the nozzle and the time you put the cap
            back on.

            If Betty can't get a photo to post, I'll try to do so myself.

            Unless the flap disappeared since the last time I saw it... heh heh.

            --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, Peter Blackford <PriusPete@e...>
            wrote:
            > Still waiting to hear from ANYONE who still HAS a metal flap...
            >
            > Either they've ALL vanished (what are the odds?) or we never had
            them (odds are better...).

            > Pete (metal flaps, UA... must be a full moon...)

          • Woolf, Richard
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 1, 2005
              > Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 04:13:27 -0000
              > From: "bobjbkln" <bobjbkln@...>
              > Subject: Re: Gas Tank Filler Problem - 2002 Prius
              >

              > It's amazing what your mind can cook up. There is no little metal
              > door on the filler tube of the 2002. For 3 years you never noticed
              > it and now you think it's missing. I wouldn't worry about the gas
              > gauge either. It often does that. Again you just never noticed it
              > before and now you stare at it.
              > --
              > Peace,
              > bobj

              My 2001 Prius used to have the little metal flap that would open when
              you stuck the gas nozzle into it. When I had to have the tank replaced
              (under warranty) it disappeared too (I assume into the Toyota shop trash
              and not into the tank itself).

              -- Rich, 2001 Aqua Ice Opalescent, Cincinnati, Ohio
            • Michael Pardee
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 1, 2005
                <PriusPete@e...> wrote:
                > Still waiting to hear from ANYONE who still HAS a metal flap...
                >
                > Either they've ALL vanished (what are the odds?) or we never had
                them (odds are better...).

                > Pete (metal flaps, UA... must be a full moon...)

                Not our 2002. It has a metal restrictor, though. I wonder if that's
                what is in everybody's memories? It is a shiny glint in a place
                where we rarely look closely.

                I recall a famous flap along the American west coast during the era
                of atmospheric nuclear testing. A cloud of fallout from a Soviet
                test was drifting along the coast, and somebody called a radio
                station as the cloud reached his area to report his windshield was
                pitted. Similar reports swept the coast, keeping pace with the
                cloud. Then reports came in from ahead of the cloud, and the truth
                dawned - the affected windshields were all older ones. People had
                stopped looking through their windshields and started looking *at*
                them.

                Mike

              • HMGM
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 1, 2005
                  Sorry to spoil the fun for the "full-moon-ridcule" folks but my 2001
                  had the flap and it stayed on until I traded it for my 2004 in Oct of
                  '03

                  On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 01:09:26 -0000, Michael Pardee
                  <flagmichael@...> wrote:

                  > --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, Peter Blackford
                  > <PriusPete@e...> wrote:
                  > > Still waiting to hear from ANYONE who still HAS a metal flap...
                  > >
                  > > Either they've ALL vanished (what are the odds?) or we never had
                  > them (odds are better...).
                  > >
                  > > Pete (metal flaps, UA... must be a full moon...)
                  > >

                  > Not our 2002. It has a metal restrictor, though. I wonder if that's
                  > what is in everybody's memories? It is a shiny glint in a place
                  > where we rarely look closely.
                  >
                  > I recall a famous flap along the American west coast during the era
                  > of atmospheric nuclear testing. A cloud of fallout from a Soviet
                  > test was drifting along the coast, and somebody called a radio
                  > station as the cloud reached his area to report his windshield was
                  > pitted. Similar reports swept the coast, keeping pace with the
                  > cloud. Then reports came in from ahead of the cloud, and the truth
                  > dawned - the affected windshields were all older ones. People had
                  > stopped looking through their windshields and started looking *at*
                  > them.
                  >
                  > Mike

                • Jimmy D Wiser
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 1, 2005
                    My 2001 did not have a flap when I purchased it in October 2000 and it
                    still does not have a flap.

                    Jimmy

                    On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 17:17:10 -0800 HMGM <herbmoran@...> writes:

                    > Sorry to spoil the fun for the "full-moon-ridcule" folks but my
                    > 2001
                    > had the flap and it stayed on until I traded it for my 2004 in Oct
                    > of
                    > '03
                    >

                    > On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 01:09:26 -0000, Michael Pardee
                    > <flagmichael@...> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, Peter Blackford
                    > > <PriusPete@e...> wrote:
                    > > > Still waiting to hear from ANYONE who still HAS a metal flap...
                    > > >
                    > > > Either they've ALL vanished (what are the odds?) or we never
                    > had
                    > > them (odds are better...).
                  • Ruth Stevens
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 1, 2005
                      I'll be going outside & checking my gas intake thingy under the gas cap post-haste. My '91 Corolla had the little flap. My daughter calls anything of this sort 'thingy-doodles'. Good a name as any I've heard.

                      When I check, if there's no thingy-doodle, I'm gonna miss the little sucker.

                      http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toyota-prius
                      , Photos, Links, Database and Polls, go to
                      http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toyota-prius

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Kacey Green
                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 1, 2005
                        The '98 Mazda I drive has this metal flap at the end of the fuel filler tube
                        and it is pushed open by the nozzle on the pump.

                        He did not imagine it. Some of us did have little metal flaps in our
                        fuel tank filler tube. Mine 'disappeared' after I had my fuel tank
                        replaced last August. I had so much difficulty convicing people it
                        was there before, I'd thought I was losing my mind and had imagined
                        the whole thing. Then I heard from a couple of other woners who'd
                        noticed that theirs had disappeared too, after replacing the fuel
                        tank. So at least I knew I didn't imagine it. My husband remembers
                        seeing it too.

                        [Kacey Green] snip
                      • Kacey Green
                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 1, 2005
                          By the way I'm in FL, the vehicle was originally purchased in VA
                        • cleavel
                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 1, 2005
                            Hi Scott,

                            After reading the string of replies to your e-mail, my curiosity was
                            running rampant. I just went outside (with flashlight in hand) to
                            check my 02 and 05 Priuses and neither has a metal flap like some of
                            my cars in the past. Each has a rubber "O-ring" (for lack of a better
                            term) at the neck of the filler.

                            Now my mind's eye of what was in the 02 was a metal flap. :P

                            I guess my mind's eye was wrong.

                            BTW, my Priuses are both CA models (if that matters).

                            Thanks.

                            Cleave

                            02 Super White
                            05 Salsa Red
                          • Michael Pardee
                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 2, 2005
                              --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "kmbaileyus" <kbailey@f...>
                              wrote:

                              > Our 2002 has the flap. I don't recall this discussion here before.
                              > just assumed they all had the flap and that it prevents vapor
                              escape
                              > between the time you remove the nozzle and the time you put the
                              cap
                              > back on.

                              So far your report is the only one I see of having one you can
                              actually look at! Just to clarify - what you see is a metal flap,
                              not a restrictor ring? If so, I guess a production run of the tanks
                              must have had the flap.

                              Mike
                            • kmbaileyus
                              Message 14 of 17 , Mar 2, 2005
                                No, as anyone who has read any of my previous posts knows, I'm an
                                idiot. I went out last night with flashlight and camera in hand and
                                poof, the metal flap is gone. I got my finger all black running it
                                around inside the rubber gasket area, and there is no sign that
                                anything broke off or was ever there. So that means when we had it in
                                for service they must have replaced our car with some other car!!!

                                I've followed this group for 3 years and sometimes not too closely,
                                so I guess I missed previous discussions of this, or maybe those
                                discussions fell into the same hole in my brain that the metal flap
                                fell into.

                                Now I'm looking for an explanation, which has probably been discussed
                                here before. I don't fill up our Prius very often since it is my
                                wife's car. I swear there was a flap in there. So, is it a reflection
                                off the end of the fuel nozzle as you insert it that gives this
                                illusion? I'll have to fill it up next time and keep a close eye on
                                this UFO.

                                New Prius bumper sticker:
                                "Bigfoot stole my metal flap"

                                --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Pardee"