Re: Oil Change (in Metro West Mass)

  • michelel72
    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 28, 2005
      --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Turner"
      <excelsior1902@y...> wrote:

      > I should have been more specific about where I live. I live in
      Metro
      > West area of Mass and see a fair amount of classic and new Prius
      all
      > the time. Since it is still winter right now and I have no real
      good
      > place to change my oil, I need to go to a dealer or Jiffy Lube.
      >
      > I am looking for the people that live in the area to let me know
      what
      > places they can recommend or avoid.

      I've been pleased with Wellesley, and I've heard Acton and I think
      Woburn recommended. Kind of depends where in MetroWest you actually
      are. Westboro's sales are highly recommended, if you're out that
      far, but I don't know about service. Michelle V is right -- you'll
      probably get more/better response from the MA-hybrids group.

      Wellesley is out of the way for me, though not ludicrously so. I've
      used them for one oil change/rotation, my 20K (and for a tire
      repair). They seemed a bit skeptical when I cautioned against
      overfilling the oil, but they took me seriously and reviewed with me
      just how much they had put in when they were done.

      Boch Norwood probably isn't on your radar, but just in case: don't.
    • Woolf, Richard
      Message 2 of 30 , Mar 1, 2005
        > From: Steve Rider <stephenrider@...>
        > Subject: Re: Oil Change
        >
        > They (Jiffy Quaker) gave me back my car without any air filter
        > installed. Then they tried to argue with me that it was not their
        > fault when I took it right back after driving 2 blocks. I could
        > tell there was no air filter by the loud noise at full throttle.
        >
        > I find my local Jiffy Quaker just a bit too sleazy and incompetent
        > to ever let them touch a car of mine again.
        >
        > When my Prius comes due for its first service, I intend to take
        > it back to my local dealer.
        >
        > From messages I've seen here and from other Prius sources,
        > it sounds as if the dealers often charge less than the Jiffy sorts
        > of places, and make fewer fraudulent claims that your car also
        > needs this or that perfectly good fluid replaced.
        >
        > Every Jiffy Quaker I have ever visited has also falsely claimed
        > that the manufacturer of the particular vehicle involved
        > recommended a 3,000 mile oil change interval.
        >
        > When someone lies to me I become disinclined to trust them.
        >
        > This is just my personal experience and opinion, others may
        > feel differently.
        >

        > Steve

        The last time I went to Jiffy Lube was in 1999 when I had a Ford Escort.
        They told me they checked all of the fluids and topped off anything that
        needed it. When I got home I thought to check the transmission fluid
        level and noticed that it was nearly empty (hmmm, that's probably why it
        was shifting so poorly). I took the car back and watched as they
        attempted to locate where to add the transmission fluid. Apparently my
        1994 Ford Escort was too exotic for them. They eventually had to ask me
        how to add it. I lost all faith in them at that point. Later I checked
        the battery (even though they specifically told me they had checked it
        and it was okay) to see if had water in it and it was dry too.

        - Rich, 2001 Aqua Ice Opalescent, Cincinnati, Ohio
      • Alan Murray
        Message 3 of 30 , Mar 1, 2005
          I took a regular car to Jiffy Lube to and got the transmission oil changed.
          The next morning I see a puddle of fluid under the car. I determine
          that its transmission fluid. I check & the tranny is empty. I buy a
          couple of bottle of fluid that take the car back to JL.

          The JL guy brings me under the car to show me the car has a bad leak &
          the fluid is pouring out from the side of the tranny pan. He claims
          this is the way I brought the car too them. The car had no leaks at
          all when I brought it to them. They told me that they do repair
          leaks.So I took the car to a tranny dealer.

          To make a long story short. JL put a pan gasket on that was fold on
          one corner. I basically paid the tranny shop for the repair with was
          the cost of an fluid change. I took the car back to JL to tell what
          the problem was & demanded the money I paid back. It turned out that
          the tranny shop was cheaper than JL.

          Also the tranny shop told me that he get plenty of repair job from JL
          because they don't know what there're doing. Many time they will
          remove the reverse plug instead of the oil plug & now the car is
          stuck.
          I think you can trust them to change the oil, but if they promise to
          top off your other fluids & fill your tires. I watch them do it since
          alot of time they will just skip it.

          On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 15:26:38 -0500, Woolf, Richard
          <richard.woolf@...> wrote:

          > > From: Steve Rider <stephenrider@...>
          > > Subject: Re: Oil Change
          > >
          > > They (Jiffy Quaker) gave me back my car without any air filter
          > > installed. Then they tried to argue with me that it was not their
          > > fault when I took it right back after driving 2 blocks. I could
          > > tell there was no air filter by the loud noise at full throttle.
          > >
          > > I find my local Jiffy Quaker just a bit too sleazy and incompetent
          > > to ever let them touch a car of mine again.
          > >
          > > When my Prius comes due for its first service, I intend to take
          > > it back to my local dealer.
          > >
          > > From messages I've seen here and from other Prius sources,
          > > it sounds as if the dealers often charge less than the Jiffy sorts
          > > of places, and make fewer fraudulent claims that your car also
          > > needs this or that perfectly good fluid replaced.
          > >
          > > Every Jiffy Quaker I have ever visited has also falsely claimed
          > > that the manufacturer of the particular vehicle involved
          > > recommended a 3,000 mile oil change interval.
          > >
          > > When someone lies to me I become disinclined to trust them.
          > >
          > > This is just my personal experience and opinion, others may
          > > feel differently.
          > >

          > > Steve
          >
          > The last time I went to Jiffy Lube was in 1999 when I had a Ford Escort.
          > They told me they checked all of the fluids and topped off anything that
          > needed it. When I got home I thought to check the transmission fluid
          > level and noticed that it was nearly empty (hmmm, that's probably why it
          > was shifting so poorly). I took the car back and watched as they
          > attempted to locate where to add the transmission fluid. Apparently my
          > 1994 Ford Escort was too exotic for them. They eventually had to ask me
          > how to add it. I lost all faith in them at that point. Later I checked
          > the battery (even though they specifically told me they had checked it
          > and it was okay) to see if had water in it and it was dry too.
          >
          > - Rich, 2001 Aqua Ice Opalescent, Cincinnati, Ohio
          >

          > To access group's website features such as Files, Photos, Links, Database and Polls, go to

          Are you looking for a Red Light Camera? Then there's one look'n for
          you in NY City!
          -
          Amateur Radio Packet Bulletins via email twice a day
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pbull/
        • Anil Khare
          Message 4 of 30 , Aug 14, 2005
            I had oil change (synthetic) on 2005 Prius at Alexandria Toyota
            (Northern VA, near Washington DC).

            Car was driven for nearly 100 miles while oil tank cap was open.
            During this 3-4 times I smelled odor of gas mixed with from AC air.
            It would come and go. Finally, I opened the front hood and noticed
            the oil tank was left open and cap was lying nearby while drops of
            oil splash all over. I closed the tank with cap and immediately took
            car to dealership. Service person admitted his fault and refilled
            new oil. His manager says everything is fine with car. To my
            surprise the dealership wrote on ticket "oil tank cap was loose",
            perhaps they do not want to admit that reality all the way. All this
            time screen showed mpg 48 getting down to 44 before new fill up.
            Overall milage had dropped to 37 based on gas amount filled. In
            fact, I calculated 1 gallon gas was lost before reaching fuel
            injectors. This could be fire around engine, hoses, wiring,
            manifolds, etc. - I do not have knowledge to figure this out. I am
            very concerned about any damage to my car.

            I hope someone with right knowledge will read this and offer an
            analysis. I shall be very thankful for input directed to my e-mail
            address,
            "alpha92@..." or "akhare0419@..."

            I am trying to find the truth in order to get the things
            straightened out.

            Anil Khare
          • Michael Pardee
            Message 5 of 30 , Aug 15, 2005
              --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "Anil Khare" <Akhare0419@a...>
              wrote:
              > I had oil change (synthetic) on 2005 Prius at Alexandria Toyota
              > (Northern VA, near Washington DC).
              >
              > Car was driven for nearly 100 miles while oil tank cap was open.
              > During this 3-4 times I smelled odor of gas mixed with from AC air.
              > It would come and go. Finally, I opened the front hood and noticed
              > the oil tank was left open and cap was lying nearby while drops of
              > oil splash all over. I closed the tank with cap and immediately
              took
              > car to dealership. Service person admitted his fault and refilled
              > new oil. His manager says everything is fine with car. To my
              > surprise the dealership wrote on ticket "oil tank cap was loose",
              > perhaps they do not want to admit that reality all the way. All
              this
              > time screen showed mpg 48 getting down to 44 before new fill up.
              > Overall milage had dropped to 37 based on gas amount filled. In
              > fact, I calculated 1 gallon gas was lost before reaching fuel
              > injectors. This could be fire around engine, hoses, wiring,
              > manifolds, etc. - I do not have knowledge to figure this out. I am
              > very concerned about any damage to my car.
              >
              > I hope someone with right knowledge will read this and offer an
              > analysis. I shall be very thankful for input directed to my e-mail
              > address,
              > "alpha92@y..." or "akhare0419@a..."
              >
              > I am trying to find the truth in order to get the things
              > straightened out.
              >
              > Anil Khare

              I don't know of any actual damage (future problems) it would cause.
              I do think the shop owes you an engine compartment cleaning, though,
              if they didn't do it already. (They really should have.) The oil
              spatters aren't all going to be visible and if not cleaned off will
              gradually degrade rubber and plastic parts. Not a big deal, but it
              should be taken care of. And the possibility of fire, even if
              remote, shouldn't be ignored.

              Mike
            • jw12409
              Message 6 of 30 , Nov 15, 2005
                My 2005 Prius has just changed oil on 3,000 miles. Any one has
                experience or did analysis on useing Synthetic or Synthetic bland oil?
                Message 7 of 30 , Nov 17, 2005
                  3K? too soon -- interval is 5k (and even 7.5k on earlier model was just fine too)

                  Don't waste resources!

                  Pete

                  jw12409 wrote:

                  > My 2005 Prius has just changed oil on 3,000 miles. Any one has
                  > experience or did analysis on useing Synthetic or Synthetic bland oil?

                • hemp7flowers
                  Message 8 of 30 , Dec 12, 2009
                    Hi All,

                    I hope everyone has been doing fine and also enjoying their Priuses as i have been since getting a 2007 for my 47th B-day in 2007. I have this neighbor that loves his, i think the year is, 1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT so much that he's created a Club for those who adore this vehicle in Vegas. He said he could change the oil on my Pri for me but i need your advice here as to what should he be carfeul about, etc... when and if i decide to allow him to do this on a Hybrid?

                    http://www.myspace.com/vegas3s

                    http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewAlbums&friendID=338069630

                    thank you for any advice,
                    love,
                    Danita
                    2007 white Prius 5,338k miles
                  • Levi Smith
                    Message 9 of 30 , Dec 12, 2009
                      There's nothing special about the Prius to change the oil/filter. Just make
                      sure he knows to turn the car OFF and use 5w-30 and make sure it's not
                      overfilled. My personal preference is to use Mobil-1 Extended and change
                      every 15k miles. But pretty much anything should be good for 5k-7.5k
                      miles...

                      Levi

                      Message 10 of 30 , Dec 12, 2009
                        Adding to other input, the Prius has to be the downright EASIEST car I've ever owned when it comes to oil changing. Doesn't even have to be lifted - in fact, probably best to keep it flat level on the ground to do the deed. DO get/use the correct cap-type filter wrench (sold right next to the filters at WalMart, for example), and a 14mm socket for the plug, and that's it. Toyota recommends replacing the drain plug gasket each time (if only so you remember that there is one, and capture the old). 3.5 quarts, that's it... REALLY easy. Drain oil & filter will even drain into the same pan simultaneously, and only one's arm needs to extend under the car to do the deed. Did I say it's easy? ;-)

                      • Paul Lawler
                        Message 11 of 30 , Dec 13, 2009
                          On Dec 12, 2009, at 21:50 , Peter Blackford wrote:

                          > Adding to other input, the Prius has to be the downright EASIEST car I've ever owned when it comes to oil changing. Doesn't even have to be lifted - in fact, probably best to keep it flat level on the ground to do the deed. DO get/use the correct cap-type filter wrench (sold right next to the filters at WalMart, for example), and a 14mm socket for the plug, and that's it. Toyota recommends replacing the drain plug gasket each time (if only so you remember that there is one, and capture the old). 3.5 quarts, that's it... REALLY easy. Drain oil & filter will even drain into the same pan simultaneously, and only one's arm needs to extend under the car to do the deed. Did I say it's easy? ;-)

                          It's even easier if you replace the drain plug with a Fumoto valve. Takes me about 18 minutes (and 15 of those are waiting for the oil to drain).
                        • Florian Steiper
                          Message 12 of 30 , Dec 14, 2009
                            Paul Lawler wrote:
                            >> is one, and capture the old). 3.5 quarts, that's it... REALLY easy.

                            Hello,

                            ist the 3,5Quarts official Toyota-speak ? cause here in Germany they
                            want us to add 3.7Liters, which is more like 3.9 quarts

                            ciao

                            Florian
                            Message 13 of 30 , Dec 14, 2009
                              They may say "4 quarts" here, but 3.5 makes the engine happy being filled between the marks. Always interpret the highest mark as "do not exceed", NOT as "fill to here".

                              Old days, we always had to fill "all the way up" so we could wait longer before needing to add more; today, though, oil use is minimal and it will stay in the 'middle' for a long time.

                              In fact, one way to INCREASE consumption is to over-fill, since oil is then forced to try to go places it was not intended.

                            • Paul Lawler
                              Message 14 of 30 , Dec 14, 2009
                                On Dec 14, 2009, at 10:48 , Florian Steiper wrote:

                                > Paul Lawler wrote:
                                >>> is one, and capture the old). 3.5 quarts, that's it... REALLY easy.
                                >>>
                                > Hello,
                                >
                                > ist the 3,5Quarts official Toyota-speak ? cause here in Germany they
                                > want us to add 3.7Liters, which is more like 3.9 quarts

                                They "say" 3.9 quarts here too, but filling in 3.9 quarts will put you about 6-7 mm. over the "full" mark... which will impact your mileage dramatically in my experience.

                              • Larry Finch
                                Message 15 of 30 , Dec 14, 2009
                                  On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 3:48 PM, Florian Steiper <
                                  florian.steiper@...> wrote:

                                  > Paul Lawler wrote:
                                  > >> is one, and capture the old). 3.5 quarts, that's it... REALLY easy.
                                  > >>
                                  > Hello,
                                  >
                                  > ist the 3,5Quarts official Toyota-speak ? cause here in Germany they
                                  > want us to add 3.7Liters, which is more like 3.9 quarts
                                  >
                                  > 3.9 quarts is the capacity of the engine, but it never all drains
                                  completely. So start by adding 3.5, run it for 5 minutes, wait 5 minutes,
                                  and check the oil level. It should be slightly below the top mark. If it is
                                  only halfway add a little more. But never go over the top mark.

                                  best,
                                  Larry
                                  --
                                  Larry Finch

                                  N 40° 53' 47"
                                  W 74° 03' 56"

                                • Florian Steiper
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Dec 15, 2009
                                    Paul Lawler wrote:

                                    >> Hello,
                                    >>
                                    >> ist the 3,5Quarts official Toyota-speak ? cause here in Germany they
                                    >> want us to add 3.7Liters, which is more like 3.9 quarts
                                    >>

                                    > They "say" 3.9 quarts here too, but filling in 3.9 quarts will put you about 6-7 mm. over the "full" mark... which will impact your mileage dramatically in my experience.

                                    OK, so there wasn't a translation error somwhere in between english /
                                    german / japanese...

                                    I also think that around 3.2l is around good.

                                    ciao

                                    Florian