Re: [toyota-prius] Hybrid-Related Component Coverage: Battery Fan Malfunction.

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2005
      Chrysler doesn't consider the serpentine belt tensioner to be part of the 'drive train' for warranty purposes... after the second one within 9k miles after the first, I no longer consider Chrysler to be a part of my future automotive purchasing plans!

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2005
        > Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 17:03:53 -0000
        > From: "wamojo" <wamojo@...>
        > Subject: Hybrid-Related Component Coverage: Battery Fan Malfunction.
        >
        > 2001-85000 kms
        >
        > My Prius was one of the first available in Canada. I drove it
        > off a dealer's lot within a week of the announcement that the
        > Prius was for sale in Ontario, Canada.
        >
        > I am discouraged with the response from my Toyota dealer here in
        > Ottawa to the latest problem I encountered. On a cold (-20 degrees
        > Celsius) Sunday while doing various errands with the whole family
        > in the car, the battery compartment cooling fan activated and a
        > master alarm (triangle with exclamation mark inside !) showed on
        > the LCD display. I took the car home and turned it off and let it
        > sit in the cold just in case the battery compartment was hot from
        > driving, but when I started it up again the fan remained on.
        >
        > After taking the car to the dealer (omitting some frustrating details)

        > the service manager stated that the problem was the wiring for the
        > thermostat in the battery compartment and that Toyota Canada had a
        > strict list of what is covered under the Hybrid-Related Component
        > Coverage and this was not proscribed under the warranty.
        >
        > I am discouraged that this is not covered under the warranty for two
        > reasons. The first is that this battery fan only exists on the
        vehicle
        > to support the hybrid components. If I had to classify this part as
        > hybrid related or gasoline related I would have it in the hybrid camp.

        > The other reason is that the repair took 2.5 hours of labour because
        > they needed to get into the battery compartment which requires taking
        > off the rear seats and taking all the necessary high voltage
        precautions.
        > I understand that not all nuts and bolts are going to be covered under

        > the hybrid-related warranty but if the bolt that fails cannot be fixed

        > without accessing the hybrid components and spending 2.0 hours to get
        > at the bolt then I feel that the majority of that labour is hybrid
        related.

        > I still haven't picked up the repaired vehicle because I am
        disheartened
        > by my dealer's response (and by proxy Toyota Canada) and I am
        beginning
        > to entertain the idea of selling the vehicle.
        >
        > I would appreciate feedback on my issue. Any arguments FOR inclusion
        on
        > the warranty or AGAINST would be welcome. Anyone have their battery
        fan
        > come on besides me?

        I would think that the hybrid battery fan would be part of the hybrid
        system too (and therefore covered by the warranty). Have you tried
        contacting the corporate office of Toyota Canada yourself? I wouldn't
        take the dealers word as final as I have personally experienced being
        told the wrong information only to have it corrected when I contacted
        the national Toyota office (my dealer refused to even look the original
        Potenza tire recall for me when I asked about it even after the national
        office called and told them it was officially okay to do so. The dealer
        kept insisting that Toyota doesn't warranty tires and would not listen
        to anything about a tire recall until an they received a second call
        about it from the national office [this time they allowed me to stay on
        the phone when they called]).

        I have a question to those in the know: Isn't this fan used to cool AND
        heat the hybrid battery? I would think that the Prius would turn on the
        battery fan to pull in warm cabin air if the battery was too cold
        (although this does not explain the "master alarm").

        - Rich, 2001 Aqua Ice Opalescent, Cincinnati, Ohio