bumper damage

  • Bob Jones
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 30, 2004
      Hello All -- What a bummer -- I carelessly backed into a friend's car tonight and my month-old 2005 Prius now has a pretty sizeable "dent" (indentation, really) in the right rear bumper (his car was fine). I'm of course worried this will cost an arm and a leg at the dealer to get fixed, but it really looks as like someone could "pound out" the indentation if they could somehow take the bumper off. Any advice?

      Thanks much, Dave

    • James Triplett
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2004

        > Hello All -- What a bummer -- I carelessly backed into a friend's car tonight and my month-old 2005 Prius now has a pretty sizeable "dent" (indentation, really) in the right rear bumper (his car was fine). I'm of course worried this will cost an arm and a leg at the dealer to get fixed, but it really looks as like someone could "pound out" the indentation if they could somehow take the bumper off. Any advice?
        >
        > Thanks much, Dave

        Any good body shop can do it. The technique these days with the plastic-bumpered
        cars like the Prius is to heat them up and pull out the dent.

        ----james
      • jim.hendel@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2004
          OUCH don't you hate when that happens? My wife has been hit in the rear bumper twice in her 03 and we have had it replaced, but the second one actually popped out on its own we put it in the garage late in the day during summer....HOT SWEATY HUMID day in Tennessee and our garage faces the east so the the garage heated up pretty good in the morning and the heat allowed the indentation to pop out enough you couldn't even see it if it weren't for the paint scratch. How ever we did replace it both times anyway. It was about $500 - $600 total and it looked great. The plastic bumpers on the Prii is great it takes a hit without damaging anything else...as long as it is light. If you are around Franklin TN I suggest Alexander Toyota Collission center.

          > Hello All -- What a bummer -- I carelessly backed into a friend's car tonight
          > and my month-old 2005 Prius now has a pretty sizeable "dent" (indentation,
          > really) in the right rear bumper (his car was fine). I'm of course worried this
          > will cost an arm and a leg at the dealer to get fixed, but it really looks as
          > like someone could "pound out" the indentation if they could somehow take the
          > bumper off. Any advice?
          >
          > Thanks much, Dave

          > To access group's website features such as Files, Photos, Links, Database and
          > Polls, go to

        • Earle Jones
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 1, 2004
            Brother Bob: Greetings! Sorry to hear about your accident.

            Did you back into the other car because you did not know that you
            were in reverse? When in reverse, was your back-up beeper working?

            Thanks,

            earle jones
            *

            --