Broke down to Highway

  • m_shiplet
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 30, 2004
      I recently lost all power on the highway. Traveling 65 mph all my
      red lights came on, triangle with exclamation point was very
      apparent.

      Call from dealer indicated that the computer had to be recalibrated
      and then the battery had to be recharged.

      Manager indicated this had never happened before. He later indicated
      that a battery recall was pending.

      My understanding is if the battery runs low this does damage to the
      computer.

      Help.
      Mary
    • Jean Godwin
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 30, 2004
        Mary, I have no insight to offer re your problem, but am very curious to
        know what year your Prius is and how many miles traveled. Thanks.

        Beverly

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 30, 2004
          With Prius, always remember the advice provided in the "Hitch hiker's Guide to
          the Galaxy": "Don't Panic"

          Often, simply shutting down & restarting the car will get it running correctly
          again, and the screen will clear after a few more starts.

          Yes, have the dealer read the codes, but don't delay yourself unnecessarily.

          Pete

          m_shiplet wrote:

          > I recently lost all power on the highway. Traveling 65 mph all my
          > red lights came on, triangle with exclamation point was very
          > apparent.
          >
          > Call from dealer indicated that the computer had to be recalibrated
          > and then the battery had to be recharged.
          >
          > Manager indicated this had never happened before. He later indicated
          > that a battery recall was pending.
          >
          > My understanding is if the battery runs low this does damage to the
          > computer.
          >
          > Help.
          > Mary
          >

          > To access group's website features such as Files, Photos, Links, Database and Polls, go to

        • priusowner2000
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 1, 2004
            I had the same experience going a bit faster on the highway.

            I thought my batteries had run too low as well, but after they
            checked the codes, it was only a 'misfire' ! I went into panic mode
            and abandoned my car, with my 4 year old for nothing. I sort of
            wish Toyota would have better warning systems in Prius - ones that
            tell the passenger not to panic....because I always do, and almost
            always it ends up being nothing, and simply restarting the car will
            make it go back to normal.....although for my experience, on these
            warnings - incredibly my warning lights always stay on until the
            exact moment I drive into the Toyota service station - it's happened
            at more than 2 different dealers I've been to....on 3 or 4
            occasions....and it never fails.
            Does anyone else experience warning lights going off at the very
            moment you drive into a dealer????? I would not be surprized if
            Toyota is spying on all of us and they know full well everything
            about our cars....and every time a warning goes off, a person
            at "Central Command" in Aichi Pref. (sort of like the maytag repair
            man)...sits up in his chair and watches our every move....and probaby
            puts the codes back to normal with a cell phone call....(like on-
            star)....and it never fails - they do it when I pull into the
            dealer's doors....at that very moment....I'm dead serious !

            --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "m_shiplet" <m_shiplet@y...>
            wrote:

            > I recently lost all power on the highway. Traveling 65 mph all my
            > red lights came on, triangle with exclamation point was very
            > apparent.
            >
            > Call from dealer indicated that the computer had to be recalibrated
            > and then the battery had to be recharged.
            >
            > Manager indicated this had never happened before. He later
            indicated
            > that a battery recall was pending.
            >
            > My understanding is if the battery runs low this does damage to the
            > computer.
            >
            > Help.
            > Mary
          • john1701a
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 1, 2004
              > I went into panic mode and abandoned my car, with my 4 year old
              > for nothing.

              Remember the old days, when reliability wasn't as high (especially
              from other automakers)?

              I remember quite a few breakdowns. Most were minor, thankfully, but
              still very much a pain. The most irritating was water in the fuel. I
              recall opening up the throttle all the way trying to clean out the
              lines, dumping chemicals in the tank routinely, and even pouring gas
              straight into the carburetor itself on a few desperate occasions. You
              kept trying. You just learned to deal with it.

              Nowadays, some people are shocked when they have their vehicle
              checked. They discovered the onboard computer had been compensating
              for a problem for quite awhile. They simply had no idea something
              was actually wrong or the system had the ability now to "heal" itself
              on-the-fly like that. Sometimes it's trivial. Other times it's a
              big deal. But you'll never know until you try. So don't be afraid
              of a restart or two. Just be aware that you should have the vehicle
              checked afterward and not to push it in the meantime.

              JOHN
              http://john1701a.com