Re: Ethanol

  • casagiannoni
    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 1, 2004
      > What part of USE ONLY REGULAR FUEL did you miss?

      I don't recall seeing it anywhere.

      Premium, reduces detonations, increases mileage, and is likely to
      have a better additive package ...
    • tempusvn
      Message 2 of 26 , Jul 1, 2004
        Wrong on all counts.

        The Prius is designed for Regular Gas.

        It's not going to detonate so that's moot.

        Premium fuel contains LESS energy than Regular, so you will, if anything, get worse mileage.

        In addition, since Premium burns slower than Regular (which is why it doesn't detonate in high compression high temperature conditions), you can get incomplete combustion. This results in Lower Power, as well as lower fuel economy, and worse, increased pollution. Dumping excess unburned hydrocarbons into the finely tuned Prius catalytic converters is likely to overstress them at best, or worse, dump unburned junk into the air, and possibly clog the converters resulting in back-pressure and even more power loss.

        The Additive Package in most gasolines is just fine for the Prius.

        Finally, it is a known problem burning Premium in the Prius that results in Dashboard Lights and "Emissions" error codes, because of the excess hydrocarbons.

        The computer stores those, and will tell on you when you go to the dealer, then you can explain to them why you ignored the owners manual as you ask them to reset the errors :)

        --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "casagiannoni" <casagiannoni3@e...> wrote:
        > > What part of USE ONLY REGULAR FUEL did you miss?
        > >
        > I don't recall seeing it anywhere.
        >
        > Premium, reduces detonations, increases mileage, and is likely to
        > have a better additive package ...
      • Michelle Vadeboncoeur
        Message 3 of 26 , Jul 1, 2004
          --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "casagiannoni" <casagiannoni3@e...> wrote:
          > Filled my bladder with Shell's current best grade this AM, then only
          > to read that it could contain up to 10% ethanol. That's about 10
          > quarts of 100 proof vodka; what a waste of good booze! Anyway, anyone
          > know of any problem with using ethanol in the Prius' bladder & fuel
          > system?

          If you check your trusty Owner's Manual, in the Gasoline section under
          oxygenates, it states that up to 10% ethanol is fine (E10), so you're fine.

          In other words, E85 (85% ethanol) sold for flexible-fuel vehicles (FFV)
          is NOT ok for the Prius.
        • M.S. Dickerson
          Message 4 of 26 , Jul 2, 2004
            >Premium, reduces detonations, increases mileage, and is likely to
            > have a better additive package

            Actually in any other car other than a Prius the reduced detonation
            is correct, but increased mileage is wrong in any car, in fact it
            will probably reduce mileage due to less BTUs per gallon. The
            additives are probably the same.

            One other minor note - I have seen Ethanol now in 87 octane gas in
            NYS to rid the gas of the MTBE.

            steve d
            02 super white 67000 miles