Re: [toyota-prius] Re: Ford Hybrid Escape article

    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
      jjust_jay wrote:

      > --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "docaaron1" <docaaron1@c...> wrote:
      >
      > A typical MAX switch on an automobile A/C changes from outside air
      > intake to recirculate, the idea being that cooling already partly
      > cooled air will help bring the temperature down faster. This is true
      > for those cars without thermostatic control, just a COLD-TOT knob and
      > a button for NORMAL and MAX.
      >
      > It sounds to me like the A/C problem with the Escape is the same as
      > with the 2001-2003 Prius, namely that the A/C compressor is
      > belt-driven from the ICE. Thus stopped in traffic or going downhill,
      > etc. with the ICE off, you have no A/C.

      Actually, in the earlier car the AC causes the ICE to start up when / as needed,
      depending on the thermostat setting. I do NOT believe that the MAX is linked to
      recirculate - that's separately selectable, and a good idea in hot/humid areas
      (or even just when in traffic with stinky exhausts...).

      Oh yes, and AUTO for the fan - that lets it cool as quickly as it can, then
      taper back to just what's needed.

      Pete
    • shrubnews@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
        In a message dated 6/30/2004 9:02:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        docaaron1@... writes:

        The article makes it sound like the Escape's A/C doesn't have a MAX
        switch. I almost didn't buy my Prius because I did not know about
        the MAX switch. I remember being in my wife's Camry caught in 90+
        degree weather bumper to bumper in an I-95 traffic jam. It made me
        think about what would happen with the A/C stopping with the family
        in the car. Shortly after I found out about the MAX switch through
        this group.
        <<<<

        In the year I've had my Classic I've never used or needed the MAX switch. The
        thermostat seems to know when MAX is needed.I've never disagreed with its
        decision.

        Larry
      • bobjbkln
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
          I believe this is correct about the Classic's A/C. On regular A/C
          engine shuts down to go into stealth or at a stop. This shuts down
          the compressor even if the temp sensor calls for it to be on. On MAX
          the compressor (and therefore the ICE) is always on (at least when
          the temp sensor calls for it). It might be a bit more complicated
          than this for regular A/C, with the computer in a stopped car turning
          on the ICE and compressor when the temp reaches some amount above the
          normal activation setting.

          BTW, during the spring and summer I always have the temp control set
          at minimum (below 55º) except when I have on the A/C when I set it to
          78º. That way I assure that when I want fan only, it will not be
          heated.
          --
          Peace,
          BobJ

          --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, shrubnews@a... wrote:
          > In a message dated 6/30/2004 9:02:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          > docaaron1@c... writes:
          > >>>
          > The article makes it sound like the Escape's A/C doesn't have a MAX
          > switch. I almost didn't buy my Prius because I did not know about
          > the MAX switch. I remember being in my wife's Camry caught in 90+
          > degree weather bumper to bumper in an I-95 traffic jam. It made me
          > think about what would happen with the A/C stopping with the family
          > in the car. Shortly after I found out about the MAX switch through
          > this group.
          > <<<<
          >
          > In the year I've had my Classic I've never used or needed the MAX
          switch. The
          > thermostat seems to know when MAX is needed.I've never disagreed
          with its
          > decision.
          >
          > Larry
        • kmbaileyus
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
            I gotta chime in here. For the classic Prius, the ICE runs when
            regular A/C is on when the vehicle is stopped, if the temp sensors
            determine it's necessary. We never run with Max on. The regular A/C
            button acts like an ICE on/off switch at a stoplight. I've confirmed
            this many times. Turn off A/C when stopped, and all other things
            being equal, the ICE also shuts off. Turn regular A/C back on, ICE
            fires up. Of course, _sometimes_ the ICE goes off if temp sensor
            thinks it doesn't need more A/C. I'm pretty sure the Max setting just
            forces the ICE to run all the time.

            If the article is correct about the Ford hybrid, then Ford screwed
            up. I was surprised when I read that. Toyota got it right.

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
              bobjbkln wrote:

              > I believe this is correct about the Classic's A/C. On regular A/C
              > engine shuts down to go into stealth or at a stop. This shuts down
              > the compressor even if the temp sensor calls for it to be on.

              This is NOT correct - the ICE will start whenever the climate control calls for
              it to cool the car. This is why fuel economy takes a little hit with AUTO, and
              a MUCH BIGGER HIT on MAX.

            • shrubnews@aol.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 2, 2004
                In a message dated 7/1/2004 2:16:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                bobjbkln@... writes:

                I believe this is correct about the Classic's A/C. On regular A/C
                engine shuts down to go into stealth or at a stop. This shuts down
                the compressor even if the temp sensor calls for it to be on. On MAX
                the compressor (and therefore the ICE) is always on (at least when
                the temp sensor calls for it). It might be a bit more complicated
                than this for regular A/C, with the computer in a stopped car turning
                on the ICE and compressor when the temp reaches some amount above the
                normal activation setting.
                <<<<

                That hasn't been my observation over the past year. If the temp sensor calls
                for compressor the engine stays on, even if the car is stopped. The AC in the
                Prius has an especially large refrigerant reservoir, however, so the
                compressor can shut down at times and the AC will continue to cool at maximum
                efficiency for several minutes.

                I haven't seen any difference with MAX on or off.

                Larry
              • Jerry Jorgenson
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 2, 2004
                  On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 09:00:00 EDT
                  shrubnews@... wrote:

                  > That hasn't been my observation over the past year. If the temp sensor
                  > calls for compressor the engine stays on, even if the car is stopped.
                  > The AC in the Prius has an especially large refrigerant reservoir,
                  > however, so the compressor can shut down at times and the AC will
                  > continue to cool at maximum efficiency for several minutes.
                  >
                  > I haven't seen any difference with MAX on or off.
                  >
                  > Larry

                  I see the following behaviour in my Classic:

                  When the A/C is on Auto, the Prius' engine stops when the car is stopped.
                  It then comes back on with a minute or two to keep the refrigerant cold.
                  Turning off the A/C with the button (rather than the fan switch) stops the
                  engine immediately.

                  I don't know that I've ever put it on MAX myself, but I had it serviced
                  the other day and someone else did. When on MAX everything runs all the
                  time. It took me a few minutes to realize that the setting was on MAX :-)

                  --
                  Jerry Jorgenson
                  jerry@...
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 4, 2004
                    I agree with Jerry's observations, but I want to point out that the
                    air coming out of the A/C vents when the ICE is off some becomes
                    noticeably warmer than when the ICE was engaged and the compressor
                    on. Therefore, I believe the temperature that triggers the
                    compressor to go on is different if the ICE is on than when it is off.
                    --
                    Peace,
                    BobJ

                    --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Jorgenson <jerry@j...>