Re: [toyota-prius] Re: LoJack

    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 2, 2001
      LOL!

      Pete (wondering when, if ever, we'll see the first Stolen:Prius
      notice posted here...)

    • mrv@kluge.net
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 2, 2001
        I went in for round 2 last night at the dealership, working on my
        trade-in, and more prepatory work for tonight's delivery. I learned
        one very important thing: stick with my usual dealer, and avoid the
        sales manager. The sales manager is playing the "bad salesman" side
        of the good cop/bad cop routine, and he appears mostly clueless on
        the Prius. (No, Sam, this is the other sales manager...) My sales
        guy is much more forthcoming with information. :)

        However, I am still awaiting an "official" response from Toyota's
        customer support email off of their website...

        LoJack System I, also known as LoJack Retrieve, is the only LoJack
        system that can be installed into the Prius (according to my normal
        salesman). The Retrieve is a little transponder that sits idle
        (although sucking some small power from the 12v battery), waiting for
        the equipped police to turn on it's radio signal to trace down its
        stolen home.

        LoJack Systems II-V cannot be installed into the Prius (according to
        my normal salesman). These are various alarm systems and engine
        disablers. No point installing these if the Prius comes standard
        with similar systems.

        However, with a prepaid voucher, the dealership will not honor it.
        The dealership won't make any money off of the voucher. The basics
        is to call LoJack (or AAA, as the case might be) directly for an
        installation.

        As for reasons that people go for a LoJack system:

        Insurance: in MA, just adding a lojack retrieve to any car gives you
        a 20% discount on the more expensive sections of your auto insurance
        coverage. Having an alarm and engine disabler adds on another 15%
        discount, for a total of 35% off most of your auto insurance policy.
        So, if you install a LoJack retrieve on the Prius and you are in MA,
        you would get an instant 35% discount on much of the insurance (as
        opposed to the standard of 15% for the Prius). I don't know the
        insurance rate yet on my new Prius, but I know several people (with
        other vehicles) who have made up the cost of the LoJack system within
        2 years just on the insurance savings...

        Added Peace of Mind: Vehicles are stolen every day. Some thieves
        are joy-riders, some go for resale, some go to chop-shops (cut the
        cars for the parts value), and some are cars stolen on order (often
        shipped out of country for resale). The retrieval rate of stolen
        cars with LoJack is quite high, so it's nice to have the added help
        to our police system in finding criminals, and finding a wayward
        car. (and let's face it - with the high demand on the Prius (lack of
        available vehicles to purchase), and the lack of available parts for
        the Prius outside of Japan, the Prius is a likely candidate for
        thefts. However, we've heard of accidents and deer-kills and
        Newarkitis and many other odd things on this list, but never a stolen
        Prius yet, so... <shrug>)

        Added value: the LoJack retrieve is not transferrable between cars,
        so once it's in a car, it's there. So, the LoJack adds to the resale
        value of the car.

        --
        mrv@...
      • mrv@kluge.net

          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 2, 2001
            --- In toyota-prius@y..., Peter Blackford <pmbsab@i...> wrote:
            > LOL!
            > Pete (wondering when, if ever, we'll see the first Stolen:Prius
            > notice posted here...)
            >
            > Bill Powell wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In toyota-prius@y..., Peter Blackford <pmbsab@i...> wrote:
            > > > OK, but who in their right mind would take a Prius to sell for
            > > > parts? A rather limited market.... thus low demand for parts =
            > > > VERY low demand for hot parts!
            > > Ah - but imagine if they nab one with a NAV system (Jane's or
            > > ee_of_ee's) and just think how much THAT would fetch if offered up
            > > here! :-)
            Would that be a "for sale" or a "be on the lookout" post? :-)
            Bp
          • Dianne Whitmire
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 14, 2001
              I hate to admit it, but I never encourage LoJack unless you have a very
              special car that you hate to part with for any amount of money... because
              irreplaceable cars need extra protection. We have 2 other cars that can be
              paid off by insurance and replaced easily, but car #3, my spouse's PT
              Cruiser is Lojack protected and way overinsured. It's a 12-24 month wait
              right now for a car... so we'd have a lot of cash if it were stolen, but no
              replacement for a possible 1-2 years!!! This means a dejected spouse, which
              means we'd have to get something else for a long time. OhGawd, I'd rather
              not even THINK of it, so LoJack's the ticket to better protect a car that
              isn't readily replaceable.

              Dianne